Handgun Similarities?

Glock ofc being compilation of multiple other solutions;

- polymer frame - H&K VP70

- trigger safety - Iver Johnson safety hammerless

- semi-cocked mechanism - Roth-Krnka 1907

- Locking - SIG 220 series

I never said Glock was original, nothing has been original in more than a century. What Glock did was successfully combine those elements in an inexpensive and reliable handgun. Combining the same elements into an operationally equivalent package is where most "new" handguns over the last 30 yrs is where they have been copying Glock.

Not a Glock fanboy, I do have a <500 SN Model 22, but its not something I shoot for enjoyment. It is my go to shtf handgun, because I fully expect it to work flawlessly everytime even after sitting unused for years.

Glock ofc being compilation of multiple other solutions;

- polymer frame - H&K VP70

- trigger safety - Iver Johnson safety hammerless

- semi-cocked mechanism - Roth-Krnka 1907

- Locking - SIG 220 series

Grip, Black & Decker electric drill.

Grips are a fickle thing.

Almost vertical grips in the pistols was a revolver heritage and came from 1880/90s target shooters, as a period shooting position was with a bent elbow. Plus it helped with a reliability of the magazine feed.

"Luger style" highly canted grip came from a need to put both magazine and a flat recoil spring into it.

Browning prefered almost vertical one (as evidenced by Colt 1900/1902/1903/1905), only changing to a more canted one in 1911 due the US Cavalry request, so gun would be easier to pull out of holster.

Those two kinda stuck and people got used to that style, and now almost vertical grip is seen as an abomination, despite revolvers having those still.

Due the fact that they have to have magazine inside pistol grips are never gonna be as anatomically adopted to a human hand as ones on revolver. After all, high performance mag fed target pistols use mags in front of the trigger guard, for that exact reason.

My only complain about Glock grip was how slippery it was. But that is easily solved by one of those rubber "wrap around" things.

Edited by bojan

I watched a good video on Youtube about fitting an AR-15 to the shooter. BLUF, once the buttstock is chosen and installed, the PG should be selected such that the hand/wrist angle is minimized while in a typical upright shooting stance. For most folks, the OEM PG is too angled.

I would bet it is a Camp Perry effect. For me the A1 and A2 grip angles are more comfortable prone than more 'tacticool' after market grips. I have more vertical grips on one of my ARs, everything else has A2 grips. The vertical grips may be better for action shooting, but for matches the classic works.