tanknet.org

They are very good even the civilian rifles are good I have a CZ527 in 7.62x39 it's a real tac driver light and easy to wield. The problem is they got lumpped into the eastern block weapons are crap, USA #1 mentality by most gun enthusiasts which they definately don't deserve. Yes I know they are not Eastern block but geography has never been a strong point for most Americans. The Czech have always been good gun makers but historically been cursed with bad neighbors who took advantage of their industry.

They are coming out of that shadow and are getting the respect they deserve.

Edited by Wobbly Head

It was for everything from pistols to 12" naval guns. I'm not sure about rifles though. Crsenal ever only mentioned Steyer and FEG when talking about AH military rifles.

They did not make any pistols in the "modern" (metallic cartridge) period. Other than iconic siege pieces most A-H artillery was actually not Skoda design. 8cm and 10cm field guns/howitzers were Wienna artillery works, 15cm howitzers were also not Skoda etc. Confusion comes from a fact that a lot of those were modernized post-WW1 by Skoda.

Skoda had their series of export field 75/105/150mm guns/howitzers (105mm was exported to Turkey), but A-H military commision categorically refused to introduce those, choosing obsolete, bronze barrel "in-house" design for 8cm FH M.05.

"They did not make any pistols in the "modern" (metallic cartridge) period."

But Czechoslovakian engineers worked on such guns for AH manufacturers outside the later Czechoslovakia, didn't they?

Massive facepalm to AH artillery procurement.

Edited by Markus Becker

Like Wobbly Head I have a modern rifle, in my case a CZ 455 rimfire still a stock iron sighted trainer model. One of these days I'll buy a new barrel and set it up as a .17 HMR for a medium range varmint gun. As is it puts any current US mass production made rimfire to shame. I bought it to shoot smallbore matches, and anything not in the X-ring is my fault or the ammo, not the rifle's.

But Czechoslovakian engineers worked on such guns for AH manufacturers outside the later Czechoslovakia, didn't they?

Krnka was a co-developer od Roth-Krnka 1907 pistol, but so was V. Teodorovic from Steyr (Serb), and A. Budimirovic (Croat) worked on trigger mechanism.

From what little I know, I think Italy would have done well to look at the Czechs for their machine guns.

Political no-go for both.

For Czech - Czech-Yugoslavia-Romania alliance that saw Italy (along with Austria and Hungary) as a main potential enemy.

For Czech - Czech-Yugoslavia-Romania alliance that saw Italy (along with Austria and Hungary) as a main potential enemy.

When did this start? I admit my ignorance on this part of the world and time.