Operation Banner - British Army Northern Ireland

• 2 weeks later...

Since nobody has answered, you might want to take a look at the British defence estimates, which I seem to recall (I might be wrong in this) gave a costing for the deployment in Northern Ireland.

Might be worth a try if you cant find anything else. Of course if it does work, you are looking at something like a 40 year deployment, which is a lot of paperwork to pick over.

They used to publish them as white papers. You can probably pick them up in online bookshops. Think I got some for 1990 from Amazon at one point.

I find that pretty astonishing, that they didnt even bother to retain details of the cost till 1992! Also, what the hell does this mean?

'In 2006-07 cost of capital and depreciation charges were removed from top level budget accounts. The following figures therefore reflect cash outturn only'

Thanks for that, its interesting, confusing though it is.

was amazed at so little info being available

mind you - what do you charge against the Op - incremental costs - may be - would any be offset against training

OK - outfitting and paying for UDR

Increased flying hours for AAC probably

5 battalions of regulars no so sure

the famous towers and pvcps on the border yes - but not sure if included in these vehicles