B17 Down

Tim the Tank Nut

I was crawling all over the B-17 a little over a week ago and spent some time talking with the crew (Wings of Freedom is part of the Collins Foundation just like the American Heritage Museum I'm at). God bless them, they were good people.

some reports are lost one engine, another says two.

I lifetime ago I worked with a B24 Liberator pilot. He said he had a friend that brought a B17 in on two engines but that a B24 was in trouble as soon as a first engine failed.

By my count that leaves 8 or 9 airworthy B17 left.

I hope the aviation community can keep them flying

Even with a full passenger load, the Fort would have been far under max t/o weight and able to climb out for a normal landing, even on three engines. I'm waiting to hear what the pilots' actions were. One report I read said that they were trying to return to the field; does this mean they tried an immediate turn-around, entering a low-speed stall?

Edited by shep854

Thanks for the video. The description sounds like a possible problem with the right main landing gear. I've had it happen to me, in a Piper Arrow. Thankfully, in a far smaller bird, it was relatively minor.

Edited by shep854

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. I had heard/seen reports indicating an approach from the north east. But Runway 6 is from the south west to north east. That means they landed short, veered right, crossed Taxiway Charlie and went into the de-icing facility to the south of Runway 60/240.