Warhammer 2 Total War

Brian Kennedy

Kinda surprised there's not a thread on these ones AFAIK. Have really been enjoying Warhammer 2 as Empire, just because you're not going to get 16th-Century Germans fighting Lovecraftian death monsters anywhere else. :) Pretty sure the high-powered computer requirement limits the audience (I just bit the bullet and bought some stupid big desktop for like $800 purely for gaming).

Yea, still playing my second elvish campaign. Terrific game IMO. I should try playing as the empire next. The elves have some pretty epic battles, and the Cult of Pleasure and Skaven are really tricky adversaries. I seem to get along ok with the lizardmen and most of the Tomb Kings. Vampires I toasted early on, but the wood elves don't like me much. Humans are ok as long as they aren't pirates.

I do like being able to discover ruins with characters, but the puzzle hints they give are so esoteric you might as well just have a random pick instead.

What video card did you get?

I wrote off the TW series after Empire and Shogun were meh and Rome 2 was a total debacle. Been playing Rome or Medieval 2 on and off ever since.

Then I somehow stumbled across a couple gameplay and review vids of TW: Warhammer and I have to say it looked like they had recaptured the magic.

Unfortunately my machine is ancient at this point and can't run it. It was on my list of things to check out once I upgraded.

Yea, still playing my second elvish campaign. Terrific game IMO. I should try playing as the empire next. The elves have some pretty epic battles, and the Cult of Pleasure and Skaven are really tricky adversaries. I seem to get along ok with the lizardmen and most of the Tomb Kings. Vampires I toasted early on, but the wood elves don't like me much. Humans are ok as long as they aren't pirates.

I do like being able to discover ruins with characters, but the puzzle hints they give are so esoteric you might as well just have a random pick instead.

What video card did you get?

I actually prefer the fluff to Wh40k too, it's IMHO better written (except for the End Times atrocity) and it's nice having the human empires being kinda-sorta sympathetic instead of being Taliban in Space.

Re searching the ruins. Two of the puzzle types are pretty easy (one of them is one of those standard 4x4 "fill in the missing piece" logic puzzles, the other is just identifying the piece that isn't repeated twice). I have have no idea how to solve the other two though (the sundial one and the dice one).

I actually prefer the fluff to Wh40k too, it's IMHO better written (except for the End Times atrocity) and it's nice having the human empires being kinda-sorta sympathetic instead of being Taliban in Space.

Re searching the ruins. Two of the puzzle types are pretty easy (one of them is one of those standard 4x4 "fill in the missing piece" logic puzzles, the other is just identifying the piece that isn't repeated twice). I have have no idea how to solve the other two though (the sundial one and the dice one).

Well I won't lie, I've got Gothic Armada I and II, and while I enjoyed I, II has an extra three layers of strategic depth I does not.

Yea, I figured out on of the logic puzzles (non-repeated color), but the other two would take repetition to confirm, and by the time you get a repeated puzzle, you forget what you did the previous time, at least I do.

Anyway, in Warhammer 2 I love being able to recruit really high quality Nobles, and then quickly levelling them up by performing actions on rebel settlements that yield additional influence. It's quick way to get influence, level up your noble to lvl 40, and specialize your character without antagonizing a major faction. I didn't realize how much difference having a lvl 40 noble in a battle would make. With the right equipment, he/she can hold off and even beat three assault units.

Well, 40K lore has gone to (almost) same dumpster than Warhammer Fantasy lore...

Well, 40K lore has gone to (almost) same dumpster than Warhammer Fantasy lore...

Yeah its kind of weird what a bad job they did blowing up both of those universes. I can see why they wanted to sell different minis or whatever, but theres much better ways to do that.