One For Stuart - Uk Military Bases And Facilities

Chris Werb

Very good, thanks for that.

Incidentally, did you just see that programme on BBC2, called 'Britain's next aircraft accident'?

Was it the one where the ex RM Commando shoots down a drone with a deer stalking rifle? If so, not tonight, but I've seen it recently. I thought it was pretty good, with a few caveats. Mainly that it was a bit dumbed-down, but it wasn't made for tank-net after all :)

Yes that was the one. I thought the hard kill systems with lasers were fairly impressive, and fairly easy to install on a vehicle or warship.

Yes, they looked pretty awesome. In context I'm sure they could be highly effective, but their effectiveness could be rapidly degraded by a variety of obvious strategies.

Clicked on that link and it automatically selected Japan Tokyo area. Japan has far more restricted areas than the UK.

I was amazed by the level of detail in the UK one - even a valve manifold (or whatever) for an oil tank farm serving RNB Portsmouth was a restricted area.

I had no idea you had so many nuclear power stations.

The 737 fuselage might not have been used yet. It could be completely coincidental to the design of the facility itself. I can believe it's an explosives test site, albeit working on small scale.

Well the facility is fairly typical to what the Army and the other services use for observation of artillery or explosive tests. I seem to recall there was a very similar structure at Shoeburyness, as seen on that Blitz street TV series. So its clearly for some kind of explosives test. What kind Ill let others judge. Maybe is just to examine an explosive in the cabin, and how it would transit debris, completely separate from any test that would require pressurization.

Curious anyway.

Clicked on that link and it automatically selected Japan Tokyo area. Japan has far more restricted areas than the UK.

I was amazed by the level of detail in the UK one - even a valve manifold (or whatever) for an oil tank farm serving RNB Portsmouth was a restricted area.

I think only France derives more of its electricity from nuclear. Which is a little ironic, considering the bombing and Godzilla movies.

I think only France derives more of its electricity from nuclear. Which is a little ironic, considering the bombing and Godzilla movies.

France hasn't suffered any giant radioactive monster attacks as far as I'm aware. The UK has only been attacked once, to the best of my knowledge, in 1961.

I hate to say this, but the F word may end up being added to that list in the future.

Thats a radar guided searchlight unless im much mistaken at 1-19.

I seem to recall there was a very good film called. 'Seven Days to noon', about a British atomic scientist that drinks the same water as General Ripper, and goes off his head and builds his own atomic device he threatens to detonate in London. There is a great scene where the Army are taking a lot of Wartime built lorries out of storage and mobilizing them to move the population of London out to a secure area. Well worth watching. Distinct lack of monsters though. The Quatermass Experiment is probably a better bet if you want that kind of thing.

Thats a radar guided searchlight unless im much mistaken at 1-19.

Yes it is. Although AA Command was done away with in 1955, quite a few HAA units lived on, at least one until 1960 - I think the SL units were largely merged into combined gun and searchlight regiments from c. 1950. Many TA LAA regiments made it to 1967, some in London. Some searchlights survived the HAA era and were passed from RA to RE and carried on in a different role - lighting for movements/exercises. I recall the only remaining searchlight unit in the Army (TAVR then) because it used to do the lighting for the long defunct Colchester Searchlight Tattoo. It has an interesting history - apparently 71 Engineer still had a couple of searchlights, possibly as late as 2011!