Analysis Of Recent Attack On Saudi Arabian Oil Facility

Kenneth P. Katz

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that, I read it more of an example of what that is than what it means as a term. TERCOM is a terminal guidance that's based on imagery mapping/comparison. There's just not outside command to it.

KSA is claiming the weapons used are Iranian Ya Ali cruise missiles which have a range of roughly 700km, which rules out Yemen and leaves Qatar, part of Iraq and most of coastal Iran as the source.

They were talking about the launch site identified as being Iran last night, but with the cruise missiles routed through Iraqi airspace to attack the facility, and avoid any maritime traffic and warships I guess. All the Saudi AD weapon's were pointed south to guard against Yemen, so they never picked them up. Oops.

There are some pictures of the remains of one of the weapon shown here. You will note the similarity with the weapon the Houthi's apparently unveiled some time ago.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9946794/saudi-oil-attack-drone-photo-iran/

I get the impression nobody really knows how this was done. Which is frankly just a bit worrying.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

There are some pictures of the remains of one of the weapon shown here. You will note the similarity with the weapon the Houthi's apparently unveiled some time ago.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9946794/saudi-oil-attack-drone-photo-iran/

I get the impression nobody really knows how this was done. Which is frankly just a bit worrying.

Except Designer department girls :)

02.jpg

DO-MAP-DRONES-V2.jpg

Edited by Roman Alymov

Yeah, that wasnt the smartest graphic they could use. Well, it supports what I say about the British media doesnt it? :)

No, only indicating continuous failures of this type in Russia are not some type of local problem - but part of global trend of loosing professionalism.

Yeah, that wasnt the smartest graphic they could use. Well, it supports what I say about the British media doesnt it? :)

That it's run by conservatives and that it's non partisan?

That it's run by conservatives and that it's non partisan?

No, I was pointing out to Roman on another thread they talk a lot of crap, whether leftist or rightist is kinda beside the point.

The KSA held a press conference displaying the remnants of the suicide UAVs and cruise missiles that had been recovered from the attacked sites:

gYrgmSP.jpg

dAqvfti.jpg

syxu9N5.jpg

Edited by Daan

No, it was not, but in defense of it, there appears to be enough of it to ensure a degree of self-policing by it.

The designer was probably given 15 minutes and a barely coherent caption written by a photographer to produce it.

Looks like 2 different ones used, which is interesting.

Yeah, cruise missiles and suicide UAVs, which had different targets. The cruise missile seems to be the "Houthi" Quds-1.

From the press conference:

HWu24Ix.jpg

The UAVs are kind of small to make the trip

Looking at the pic, the UAVs aren't dramatically smaller than the Israeli HAROP which is claimed to have a range of 2000km (there and back) or 1000km (one way).

I suspect Houthi struggle with Quality Control, particularly as access to coastal areas and ports is not as good as it used to be. They might have used up a significant amount of their strike potentiel.

"At least four shorter-range defence systems, designed to take out smaller targets, were also present around Abqaiq, according to satellite images. But they were either positioned at the wrong end of the facility or would have seen the tiny drones and missiles too late to shoot them down"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/19/how-did-attack-breach-saudi-defences-and-what-will-happen-next

Do we know what these short-range systems are? Phalanx maybe?

The only short ranged system in KSA service I can turn up on a search is Skyguard 35mm.

ETA: Putin laughingly said maybe the KSA needs S400, but what they could probably really use is Pantsir.

Edited by Josh

And bingo, the drones were indeed of Iranian provenance and this particular model was apparently unveiled during the May 2014 IRGC Aerospace Force exhibition:

Finnish defence experts were quite unimpressed with Saudi evidence. It was pointed out that all the debris seems compatible with drones and missiles Houthi showed off in July:

https://s4.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20190917&t=2&i=1430954252&r=LYNXMPEF8G1NS&w=1280

Of course, it seems quite unlikely that Houthi are able to develope and mass-produce large numbers of such advanced weaponry. General suspicion is that 'indigenous' missiles are custom designed to them by Iran for plausible deniability.