tanknet.org

Tanknet Is Getting Harder To Get To

Definitely database issue. Yesterday I actually got a page that displayed an entire error complete with the query it couldnt execute. Which is odd because a server shouldnt ever display that level of detail publicly unless explicitly set to do so; maybe someone was investigating the issue while I was in the site.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've offered tech support from my IT guys with respect to the SSL encryption (no doubt this plays a role), but the whole process stalled before we got to do anything. Maybe it's time to have another look at it. I'm even willing to sponsor a more in-depth site management if that's what it takes.

Very generous. The main stumbling block is likely that there is only one person who has the magic powers and he has many other life items on his plate. If he should get hit by the bus, I think we're sunk. The rest of us are technical morons for the most part.

What the frack is this thing "​" that pops up every time I hit the enter key? It disappeared for a while but now it's back to vex me.

I only get this when using Chrome oor Chrome based browser. Some weird control codes seem top be added somewhere. Either the browser or some script is being executed in an odd way by Chrome. That is at least my hypothesis.

I'm using Edge for Tanknet and have it. It disappeared for many months until this week.

Switch off those browser built-in net nannies. They are just collecting your browsing habits, anyway. Oh, sorry - the collection will be done at the "protection" server level, of course, and surely nobody is interested in those aggregate data because since when would anyone be interested in such boring things, right?

Edited by Ssnake

I can only get in on Chrome, otherwise I get a deceptive site error, and Firefox just refuses to allow me to access the site. Same goes for Safari.

Firefox works for me. But I have the "protection" turned off. It puts in a delay while routing the dns request through Mozilla's servers and it is none of of their business which sites i look at.

Switch off those browser built-in net nannies. They are just collecting your browsing habits, anyway. Oh, sorry - the collection will be done at the "protection" server level, of course, and surely nobody is interested in those aggregate data because since when would anyone be interested in such boring things, right?

Told you so, says Ed Snowdon.

should i keep chrome safe search on because the laptop is also used by a 8 year old (well, 2x30 min. per weekend, mostly youtube)

should i keep chrome safe search on because the laptop is also used by a 8 year old (well, 2x30 min. per weekend, mostly youtube)

Give your child its own user account with the proper adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting yesterday it hasn't remembered where I'm at in any threads, unread button reverts to page 1 or a random page. Kind of a PITA on a years old topic with hundreds of pages. Happening again this evening, I was on earlier this evening then when I logged back on threads that I read earlier were marked unread again. Might be a chrome problem, but I haven't done anything to my chrome recently. I'll try FF on my 12 yr old Powerbook, haven't used it on TN for 2-3 years likely.

Starting yesterday it hasn't remembered where I'm at in any threads, unread button reverts to page 1 or a random page. Kind of a PITA on a years old topic with hundreds of pages. Happening again this evening, I was on earlier this evening then when I logged back on threads that I read earlier were marked unread again. Might be a chrome problem, but I haven't done anything to my chrome recently. I'll try FF on my 12 yr old Powerbook, haven't used it on TN for 2-3 years likely.

Same here, all threads at page one, at least on the Iphone, meaning it is basically impossible to use, given that there is only a button for advancing the viewed page one at a time, and I am not clicking through hundreds of pages individually to get to the newest one. No issue spotted on the PC, though, except the latency issues remarked on by others.

This page reset thing really burns, though.

--

Soren

I went to Full Version (bottom button) on my phone, visited the last pages on recent threads, then hit "mark all as read" and returned to the mobile version. I suspect some kind of server migration to improve access, with some settings lost on the way. Last night the search function was also disabled for the mobile version.

I access the site with SeaMonkey (open-source Mozilla) from my PC. Usually slow. (I have a 50Mbps connection).

I open each thread in a separate tab, and close it when finished. This avoids having to slow-load the main page again. And you can go on surfing without having to wait for each thread to open.

The "Search" function has often disabled these last days, so I cannot use the "View New Content" feature.

Looks like some emergency actions taken to get the site running better have had unintended consequences.

Yep, looks like your post count lost 20,000.

So you should be at around 28,000 IIRC.

ISTR that Bojan had some sort of drop too, by 3000 IIRC, but before my time here.

Stuart lost many posts, what was it, 3 years ago already?, but his post count remained unchanged.

I clicked the mark forum as read button for each forum closed the browser and reconnected. That seems to have cleared the problem of getting sent to the first page. What still seems to be an issue is that the last post read no longer seems to sync across devices. So if I read a bunch of posts from my tablet when I open up the site from my PC I will still be shown all those posts as unread.

Looks like some emergency actions taken to get the site running better have had unintended consequences.

ISTR that Bojan had some sort of drop too, by 3000 IIRC, but before my time here.

Stuart lost many posts, what was it, 3 years ago already?, but his post count remained unchanged.

Yeah, that was the FSB though. Im still wiping my doorknobs daily. :)

It's been a long time since I've been Tanknet noob. :D

It's been a long time since I've been Tanknet noob. :D