tanknet.org

Typhoon Drops Out Of Canadian Fighter Contest

If we buy the SH, then there is a 30% FMS surcharge on the price. if we don't go with the F35, we lose a significant pieces of the parts contracts.

Honestly, F-35 is best deal for the fly away cost. Plus the yanks will handle all the upgrades for decades. I think for Canadas airspace control something like the F-15 would be a better fit but that apparently isnt in the running.

I would have thought something like the F-15X would be near ideal for them. But aren't there 'issues' between Boeing and Canada with Boeing's trade complaint against Bombardier or something?

-K

F-15 was too expensive when we replaced the CF-101 Voodoo in the late seventies and is now not only as expensive as F-35, but less advanced.

If Boeing can be forgiven, we might replace F/A-18A and B with F-18E. The Air Force seems to prefer the F-35, though.

One of the issues dragging this out, beside the reluctance to spend so much money, is that they were suspected to have rigged the bid before and we had to start again.

Edited by R011

I cant see how they (FA-50) would get delivered before F-18 or F-35. I am doubtful they have the range, speed, or NORAD compatibility. They would also cost more than a trivial amount and purchase would be subject to a very long competitive bid process.

The interim plan is to buy some used RAAF Hornets.

How much existing F-18C support infrastructure could transfer to the E/F models?

We have F/A-18A, not C. Probably not that much. Engines, electronics, and much of the body is different. Some weapons would be the same, but that is true of the F-35 too.

Hopefully, they'll last just long enough. There was some talk of an interim F-18E buy of 18 aircraft. That seemed to die when Boeing alienated a major Liberal donor.

Edited by R011

Canada would be an ideal partner for a future non-U.S. fighter aircraft collaboration. I still like the FA-50 idea, as if I recall correctly, they were in play to service the RCAF's trainer needs a few years ago.

A comprehensive SLEP for CF-18 might be a workable option as well.

The new F15's and the F-35 are a bit like Apples and oranges, both do certain things well, in my perfect world we would have 50 of each. Together they offer a awesome package.

I wonder if the NORAD issue is at least as much about access to the Eurofighter IPR as it is to do with specific integration of infosec solutions. "You can only connect our stuff if we have complete access to all of your stuff that you intend to connect", or some variant thereof.

I think that is the heart of the matter, I saw elsewhere someone complaining that the Americans stamped a briefing as "US personal only", except it was a Canadian who gave the initial briefing, militaries can go full stupid on one form of security and then ignore another hole completely. At the same time.