Mars/cobalt Kinetics Rifle Design

Stoner 63 with extrusion based receiveris my choice. Why they are using that magazine is beyond me. 6.8SPC II is type standardized and has in service for 6 years approx with a PMAG that works very well.

Edited by Simon Tan

Except they want 3000+fps MV.

One of the greatest crack-pipe projects of the today infantry weapons world.

Edited by bojan

No. Johnson was short recoil. This is CSRG!

So, did they go full Chauchat?

Never go full Chauchat.

The one question I have is why do they need a 1MOA at 1000yards rifle for general issue it's overkill most soldiers would be lucky to hit a target at 500yards with a properly set up rifle. Sure it might work as a DMR but for general issue it's sound just too expensive for little gain over the currently available firearms.

I think the 1 MoA at 1000 yards requirement is partly driven by the ability to fit a tank-like sighting/FCS that can remove a lot of the variables an unassisted human shooter has to cope with. The FCS will be pointless most of the time (as are tank FCS in regions with terrain that only permits short range engagements), but it could be a game changer when circumstances permit. The odd thing for me is that I have never associated long recoil operation with extreme precision.

I think the 1 MoA at 1000 yards requirement is partly driven by the ability to fit a tank-like sighting/FCS that can remove a lot of the variables an unassisted human shooter has to cope with. The FCS will be pointless most of the time (as are tank FCS in regions with terrain that only permits short range engagements), but it could be a game changer when circumstances permit. The odd thing for me is that I have never associated long recoil operation with extreme precision.

The Rarden cannon is very accurate when paired with an effective fire control system. It doesn't have a great rate of fire though. The long recoil is accurate as there are fewer variables as the round is fired from a completely closed bolt there is no need to bleed gas or momentarily delay the bolt so less variables that affect accuracy can creep in.

Since the REMF's will undoubtedly install some form of "look over your shoulder" bullshit(already exists), I think this is a stupid idea. S/F....Ken M

Since the REMF's will undoubtedly install some form of "look over your shoulder" bullshit(already exists), I think this is a stupid idea. S/F....Ken M

It will probably earn some colonel his star, that's probably the reason for being.

I think the system we saw some years ago had the option to display on a tablet, so any level of oversight would be possible.

Has anything more been heard of the 50 cal guided rounds?

The entire project seems like a scam to fleece the taxpayer. S/F....Ken M

I think it's worse than that. Its failure (which seems assured) will be pointed to, forever, as irrefutable evidence that we must use 5.56x45mm.

Future suggestions of a better cartridge will be met with "no no, they tried that with the NGSW and we all know how that turned out!"

The entire project seems like a scam to fleece the taxpayer. S/F....Ken M

I think it's worse than that. Its failure (which seems assured) will be pointed to, forever, as irrefutable evidence that we must use 5.56x45mm.

Future suggestions of a better cartridge will be met with "no no, they tried that with the NGSW and we all know how that turned out!"

OICW, SPIW etc etc have not dissauded anyone over the years.

And at least some of the reasoning for a more powerful cartridge to punch through future body armour of infatrymen has some merit to it.

Stoner 63 with extrusion based receiveris my choice. Why they are using that magazine is beyond me. 6.8SPC II is type standardized and has in service for 6 years approx with a PMAG that works very well.

While I agree that a kinda hybrid of the Stoner63 and SCAR has something going for it. though there was the Robinson 96 which IIRC was based on the 63.

The 6,8 SPC II is a dedicated short barrel short range round with its stubby projectiles. The new 6,8 mm is more like the Creedmoor cartridges. It just happens to have the same caliber as the older SPC II, but has much case capacity and more powder

The new 6,8 mm is more like the Creedmoor cartridges. It just happens to have the same caliber as the older SPC II, but has much case capacity and more powder

The US Army has decided on a new cartridge:

SEPTEMBER 06, 2019
U.S. Army selection for NGSW

U.S. ARMY SELECTS TRUE VELOCITY COMPOSITE-CASED AMMUNITION FOR NEXT GENERATION SQUAD WEAPON PROGRAM

GARLAND, TX – True Velocity composite-cased ammunition has been selected for the U.S. Army’s Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) modernization program. True Velocity’s 6.8mm composite-cased cartridge was submitted as part of an overall NGSW weapon system in partnership with General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems and firearm manufacturer Beretta Defense Technologies.

True Velocity’s proprietary 6.8mm case design will provide end users with significant logistical and operational advantages over traditional brass-cased ammunition, including substantially increased effective range and muzzle energy, drastic reduction in cartridge weight and enhanced accuracy. The combination of True Velocity’s ammunition with the General Dynamics OTS weapon submission results in a state-of-the-art weapon system capable of long-range lethality, short recoil impulse, significant ballistic improvements and enhanced operational effectiveness for the soldier.

“True Velocity’s 6.8mm composite case design produces a level of performance, consistency and efficiency never before seen in small arms ammunition,” said Chris Tedford, president and chief operating officer for True Velocity. “Combining True Velocity’s innovation and technology with the expertise of General Dynamics OTS and Beretta results in a weapon system solution that exceeds NGSW requirements and provides the U.S. Army with a definitive edge on the field of battle.”

nothing.jpgnothing.jpgtrue-velocity-68mmweb.jpg

​

About a 1/3 lighter than 556 brass cased. Remains to be seen if the program actually results in aynthing fielded...

Actually all three teams are still in running and the press release by Truevelocity is misleading.

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/09/06/us-army-selects-true-velocity-composite-cased-ammunition-next-generation-squad-weapon/#comments

SIG USA and its ammo is in

Winchester/Olin wich AAI and H&K

and

True Velocity plus GD and Beretta