So This Is What I'm Reduced To.

NickM

Reach behind cat with hand, push cat off chair gently but firmly. Sit in chair.

Repeat as necessary to set boundaries, or be a beta.

OR

Gently lift cat, sit in chair, place purring cat in your lap, do what you need to do, pick up cat from your lap when you stand up, replace cat on chair.

OR

Gently lift cat, sit in chair, place purring cat in your lap, do what you need to do, pick up cat from your lap when you stand up, replace cat on chair.

I think you should be tested for toxoplasmosis.

OR

We just saw a 12 year girl blind in her left eye from this :(

OR

We just saw a 12 year girl blind in her left eye from this :(

Actually that is sad, and sobering.

I have to deal with one cat who insists the best place in the house to lay is on my damn keyboard, and now another cat who likes to sit in front of my monitor and bask in the thermal energy given off by all of the electronics in the corner there.

PRSEk0d.jpg

​

I have utterly failed in my attempts to post all the 'loverly' pics of my critter.

Can management just delete this thread and be done with it?

Edited by NickM

I have a secret weapon against feline intrusion. The experts who installed this defense system call it an "office door". Maybe it's Voodoo, but so far it worked.

I have a secret weapon against feline intrusion. The experts who installed this defense system call it an "office door". Maybe it's Voodoo, but so far it worked.

That worked great for me, until I had to take in my stepfathers cat recently in addition to the cat I already have due to my stepfathers health issues. My young cat has decided the new old cat is fun to bully, and I have been having to keep them separated so the old cat can get a bit of peace. Last night I put in a second litter box, and the young cat was obsessively running across the house between litter boxes, trying to dominate them both. I miss my dog, he made sense.

I have utterly failed in my attempts to post all the 'loverly' pics of my critter.

please no delete

good to see others suffer

Am dog fan though have no hatred of cats - they just are not dogs

have used bb gun - plastic pellets -

if not ok with that - lift cat by neck - hold at arms length - shout NO and drop

usually they get message

drop kick on way down may not be needed

You all have it lucky. Im rearing a Jack Russell Terrier puppy, and at the moment she is that stage where she thinks everything is a toy to be gnawed on.

what we got all our mutts at that stage was a stick - purely for chewing - after a few days of shouting no and then giving the stick they got the message and behaved

try to sprinkle some eau de cologne or deodorant on your apartment door, cats usually can´t stand that stuff. hang a scent tree on your chair :)

White vinegar works really well also, and does NOT hurt the cat, except their ego.

Put one of mine in the Fecabook Grate Gruop.

Am dog fan though have no hatred of cats - they just are not dogs

have used bb gun - plastic pellets -

if not ok with that - lift cat by neck - hold at arms length - shout NO and drop

usually they get message

drop kick on way down may not be needed

I hope that you are not being serious.....

But if you are the actual most humane way to train or deter a cat is to use a water pistol or similar with plain cold water.

When my wife and I got together we each brought a cat to the relationship. My male cat liked to monster her female cat. One shot of water from a water pistol onto his forehead when he was running towards her both stopped him in his tracks and conditioned him to never do it again.

Works up to a point. But for proper conditioning you need to catch them in the act every. single. time. And they need to dislike it enough to be a deterrence. Which it is for most things, most of the time.

But if you want to deter a cat to terrorize you in the middle of the night because it thinks it's time for you to wake up, the water gun only works if you

a. grab it

b. pull the trigger

c. hit

d. while sleeping

Typically, activities a-c require you to wake up, so mission accomplished for the cat.

Remedy: Deep sleep, or the iron willpower to pretend that you're sleeping even if the cat, as careful as it may be, tries to lift your eye lid with its teeth, or buries its claws in your skin after (and while) extensive kneading and purring. Or to have someone of lesser willpower next to you.

Pro tip:

Cat flaps with access code (=if your cat comes with the RFID upgrade kit (which is mandatory in Germany, and recommended in any case)) work, but their locking and unlocking mechanism creates so much noise that if you are a light sleeper, you shouldn't install them in your sleeping room. Note that every time the cat walks by the flap, it will unlock - clack! - and lock again - clack! - and indecisive cats (a tautology, I know) tend to pace in figure eights until they come to the decision that the inconvenience of squirming through the flap is outweighed by the relieve of peeing. Which means for you:

clack, clack!

clack, clack!

clack, clack!

clack, clack!

clack, clack!

clack, scramble, scramble, wiggle, meow, wiggle, clack!

Edited by Ssnake