Canon Powershot Sx70 Hs?

Ivanhoe

I'll put this here since the tech-heads pass through.

My scarred old Canon Digital Rebel XT is dying, electronics are increasingly confused. I started shopping and grudgingly realized it was time to upgrade to the mirrorless new systems, but dang Sony has the best bodies, but the lens selection is pricy and not appealing.

I considered getting a Rebel T7 so I could use my Sigma short zoom, but I don't like the idea of putting more money into a near-dead lens mount.

So... I am looking at the PowerShot. For what I do, mostly nature/landscape with some museum work and rare portraits, it looks OK (the zoom range seems ridiculous, I'd be happier with a faster and higher quality 24-105mm equivalent).

Any experience here with the PowerShots?

I have had the old Canon Powershot G15 for a while and found it useful, but for most photography, where I can easily carry it, I use a Canon EOS80 (since this time last year), after owning a Canon EOS750D for a while. I have mainly done portrait work with it but have more recently bought a couple more lenses for sports photography and the like.

But the camera that I have been using mostly lately is a Sony DSC-HX90V that has built in GPS. I specifically got this for cemetery photography so that I could locate graves on Googlearth.

It is a small camera, fits in a jacket pocket and takes nice photos, but I would not use it for portrait work if I had my EOS80D with the fast Sigma lens.

I did not go the SLR way because I had enough with a compact camera, but I did read a lot on the matter, some years ago. Said that, I think the better you could do is having a look at kenrockwell.com

Perhaps you could even use the old lenses by mounting an adapter.

Edited by sunday

Did some more research (darn you, Internet!);

Now looking at Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.

Basically, my tentative plan is to get a good P&S and run it for a couple of years, then grit my teeth and invest in the Canon RF system when the bodies come down in price.

Doug, or Murph for that matter, are there any free/freeware/open source photo editing programs that you recommend?

My understanding is that the lenses for these P&S cameras, including the "bridge" models, tend to have some barrel distortion at the short end, and when I am doing close-up work, its of things with straight lines and edges (i.e. PC parts and other mechanical objects).

I've heard photographers dislike Sony because of the colour. They don't like how Sony captures colours. And lenses are expensive as fuck with Sony.

I am in the MFT camp, using Lumix GX85 body with Panasonic Leica, Olympus, and 7artisans lenses. A lot of hate on the MFT and a lot of love as well. I use it because I've been a lifelong Panasonic Lumix user and am familiar with the controls etc. Lenses also are more affordable vs Sony. A friend uses Sony and he cries every time I buy a new lens because it's so much cheaper vs Sony.

For long range, I use the Lumix FZ200 which is getting long in the tooth already. 25-600mm zoom with constant f2.8, baby! Its successor is the FZ300 which is weather sealed. FZ1000 has a larger sensor vs the FZ200/300 but lower zoom. You get better images with the FZ1000 though because of the larger sensor. Very decent camera according to reviews. Note that the FZ line are bridge cameras. They are basically point-and-shoot cameras with superzoom lenses and compact camera sensors with SLR bodies. They are fine cameras to use especially if you don't make large prints of your pix and post mainly on the net. Beats lugging around a large full frame 400-800mm lens and is soooooooooooooo much cheaper. FZ200/300 and FZ1000 have full manual controls. The FZ1000 I think has a touchscreen. I can't recall if it has WiFi which is a pretty neat feature the GX85 has as I can mount it on a tripod and take photos using the mobile phone as a remote control without touching the camera. Pretty good feature if using it for night sky photography or where pressing the shutter button will mess with the photo taking like long exposures.

As for freeware/open source photo editing programs, the ones I've used are very very very basic like adjust contrast, saturation, rotation, that is all. I use SilkyPix because it's cheaper than PS and Lightroom, plus I'm very familiar with it already.

I would never bother buying photoshop. Too expensive for what I do. But I do use photoshop elements, about 1/10 the price of full photoshop.

I can't recall if it has WiFi which is a pretty neat feature the GX85 has as I can mount it on a tripod and take photos using the mobile phone as a remote control without touching the camera. Pretty good feature if using it for night sky photography or where pressing the shutter button will mess with the photo taking like long exposures.

It does, which interests me mainly for the outdoor selfie scenario. The simple timer on my Digital RebelXT is always too short or too long.

Doug, or Murph for that matter, are there any free/freeware/open source photo editing programs that you recommend?

My understanding is that the lenses for these P&S cameras, including the "bridge" models, tend to have some barrel distortion at the short end, and when I am doing close-up work, its of things with straight lines and edges (i.e. PC parts and other mechanical objects).

GIMP, although Photoshop Elements is available as well. Also remember the smaller point and shoot superzooms have very small sensors. Also as you stated the distortion can be a bit off putting. Plus the ISO performance is not that great compared to other formats. The 4/3 series cameras allow for interchangable lenses that work well with the sensor. Plus the ISO performance is decent to excellent depending on the model. The 4/3 sensor cameras have great reviews, and the Panasonic cameras have great reviews as well. The Fuji camera is well thought of as well, and would be a fine addition. The higher end Fuji cameras are very well respected by photographers, with superb optics. I have been looking at one of these for my own use. You might look for these as an alternate: https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1444716-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_gx85_mirrorless_micro.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1333061-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_g85_mirrorless_micro.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1398407-REG/panasonic_dmc_gx85wk_lumix_dmc_gx85_mirrorless_micro.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1435467-REG/fujifilm_x_t100_mirrorless_digital_camera.html

What do you think about these recommendations?

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

I'd feel better if Ken did not pull these reviews out of his @ss most of the time. Unfortunately he does not test most of the cameras, I started with him and then moved to Thom Hogan's site and The Online Photographer for more in depth reviews. That being said, he is not, in my opinion, too terribly far off base in his recommendations.

GIMP, although Photoshop Elements is available as well. Also remember the smaller point and shoot superzooms have very small sensors. Also as you stated the distortion can be a bit off putting. Plus the ISO performance is not that great compared to other formats.

The FZ1000 has a 1 inch sensor, and the integral lens is a bit faster than most (f2.8-4.0). Sony has kick-butt sensors, but their lens situation is mediocre.

Amusingly, in the last 24 hours the price has gone up $100 for the FZ1000 bundles at Adorama and B&H. So I will wait for Labor Day weekend to try to catch a sale.

And keep in mind that this isn't going to be my one-and-only camera in the long run, by next spring/summer I will have the financial horsepower to start building my Canon RF system. I have the impression that Canon is going to treat the RF system like the EF system, i.e. it is going to be their mainstay and most-supported system for a decade or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Spotted this today, but I don't think that I will be racing out to replace my one year old EOS80D just yet:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-initial-review-what-s-new-and-how-it-compares

The Canon EOS 90D is a midrange DSLR that replaces the 3.5-year-old 80D. It fits between the EOS 77D and the 'yes, it still exists' EOS 7D Mark II, and offers Canon's latest processor and a brand-new sensor.

The 90D is essentially the DSLR version of the EOS M6 Mark II mirrorless camera, which was introduced alongside it. Since the specs are nearly identical, Canon is letting potential buyers choose what type of shooting experience they want: a midsize DSLR with an optical viewfinder and more physical controls, or a smaller and lighter mirrorless model with a removable electronic finder. And, of course, the difference in native lens lineups between the EF and M mounts could attract different types of users, as well.

That's kind of interesting. From a business standpoint, repackaging new components already in production to sell to folks who have a multi-thousand dollar inventory of EF/EF-S lenses. Not a huge revenue bump, but a good strategic move. Canonites will feel like Canon is a reliable and trustworthy platform worth investing in. Sends a good signal to folks contemplating the M lineup.

I'm sure the marketing eff-boys weren't happy with it, but any way to keep Canonites from switching to Nikon or Sony is smart IMHO.

So I ended up buying the Lumix from Adorama. Charged the battery and took a couple of shots at the park just to ensure everything is working.

Switchology will take some getting used to. Owner's Guide is the usual gack.