Mass Shooting

Paul G.

9 hours ago, Steven P Allen said:

*This decision is one reason that I strongly oppose the razing of Lee statues.  As much damage as he caused the United States, this decision may well have saved it.

You seem to want a fact-based, nuanced, context-aware perception of past people and events. We're now in the age of the cancel mob, critical thinking skills have been adjudged as racist and sexist.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DB said:

Now this is a tricky one. Should the police sergeant have tackled the man, or should he have waited until his intentions were more clear?

https://abc13.com/houston-crime-possible-mass-shooting-galleria-sergeant-thwarted-shootings/12054469/

To demand a surrender at gun point could have been tricky with the potential for casualties if not fatalities.  Rushing the guy and taking him down with a tackle would, I should think, reduce the chances and number of casualties.

Have to wonder if the guy might have been attempting suicide by cop.

Herrera could have also been doing some sort of open carry thing in a less than wise fashion. 

I'd be neat to see what Herrera says he was doing. 

Edited by rmgill

3 hours ago, DB said:

Now this is a tricky one. Should the police sergeant have tackled the man, or should he have waited until his intentions were more clear?

I'm going to make a sweeping generalization and claim that a 2-decade veteran of HPD probably has more "go time" experience than all of Uvalde PD does combined. Thus the outcomes.

1 hour ago, Ivanhoe said:

I'm going to make a sweeping generalization and claim that a 2-decade veteran of HPD probably has more "go time" experience than all of Uvalde PD does combined. Thus the outcomes.

Absent other data it certainly sounds like the HPD officer DID do the right thing by both disarming the culprit AND Doing so without an unnecessary discharge of a firearm. 

5 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

What they needed was somebody to ask the question, is there any gas in the tank?

Some years ago one of my guys came to work with his car sputtering and wheezing.  Mechanical geniuses abounded at the plant.  First they checked to make sure the air filter wasn't clogged, then they checked for spark, and finally they fiddled around with the carburetor ...no gas.   Must be a clogged fuel filter.  Off to the auto shop to get a fuel filter.  Changed the filter, the car still wouldn't start.  Well, what about the fuel pump?  So the in line fuel pump was replaced.  Still nothing.  Well then, it must be the fuel pickup in the tank that is clogged up, need to get a bucket over here to catch the gas while we drain the tank.  It was at this point that a meek voice asked, "Did anyone check to see if there's any gas in the tank?"

That squad of Keystone Kops needed somebody to ask, is the door even locked?  They all knew the door had to be locked because that was protocol...nobody thought to question the protocol.

Edited by DKTanker

8 hours ago, DKTanker said:

That squad of Keystone Kops needed somebody to ask, is the door even locked?  They all knew the door had to be locked because that was protocol...nobody thought to question the protocol.

That's a huge part of it, I'm sure.

Step 1; identify the senior officer on site. Step 2; set up crowd control. Step 3; contact fire/EMS. Step 4; inventory body armor and long arms on site. Step 5; ...

All while kids were being killed.

Yeah, Uvalde is roughly halfway from Eagle Pass (massive border entry point for illegals) and Breakfast Tacoville (where one picks up I-35 to reach DFW etc).

On the subject of recidivist criminals. Note this car-jacking suspect has a record of 
Narcotics Possession
Fleeing from police. 
Felon in possession of a firearm. 

He was on parole for firearms possession. 

Recidivist felons, arguably violent, repeatedly released on parole and they commit crime again, including trying to murder cops. 

How could this crime problem happen? 

53 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

How are the gun free zones in Europe doing?

Is the Bataclan open carry or concealed only? Where do you check your grenades? 

Edited by rmgill

7 hours ago, rmgill said:

Just seen a clip of an interview with the grandmother of the girlfriend of the guy who stopped this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXOHsHkJV4 (embedding disallowed by youtube)

Also notes that the gunman was engaged at 40 yards with 10 rounds and although it doesn't say how many hits he secured, I reckon at least one disabling hit at that distance with a handgun whilst under stress, seems pretty good to me.

17 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

Guns are now grenades?

They are ARMS. You side stepped the key question and fixated on the exclamation point. 

Is the Bataclan open or concealed carry? ie, for the hard of reading, you contend that if guns are banned there won't be a problem or a mass shooting. What happened there then? Are AK's and Grenades allowed at the Bataclan? 

Put differently, is the Bataclan a gun free zone? How'd it do? 

Edited by rmgill

21 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

How many more Bataclans in western Europe and how many in the USofA in the almost 7 years since by Islamic State terrorists?

The point Milo, is that you want to ban guns but can't make any sort of realistic mechanism to actually do so short of full scale martial law and house to house searches. Your object to make less violence will be spiked through the roof with that. 

So, explain, HOW WILL YOU MAKE THE GUNS GO AWAY? Short of magical thinking there has to be a key policy implementation. It still will not get all the criminal actors NOR the insane people who are known by the authorities but who refuse to actually take them in hand and hold them accountable. Right now there's a story out of New York of a Store owner who had two thieves taking things tried to stop them was stabbed and stabbed one back and is now charged with the homicide. In a normal situation the other criminal would be charged with the homicide, NOT the store owner. 

How are you going to address the defensive use of firearms? For all the folks who defend themselves, what of them? Are they just shit out of luck in your view? 

I swear you and the other gun grabbers don't actually care. You're fixated on one thing and so long as the rape homicides are done with something like a knife or a baseball bat, you don't appear to give a fetid pair of dingo's kidneys. 

If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

There's nothing to discuss.  They don't trust their fellow men because they know what they intend to do, which is tyranny.  Either that, or they're loathsome cowards; either way, no point in talking, complete waste of range/gym/dojo time.  S/F....Ken M  

9 minutes ago, EchoFiveMike said:

There's nothing to discuss.  They don't trust their fellow men because they know what they intend to do, which is tyranny.  Either that, or they're loathsome cowards; either way, no point in talking, complete waste of range/gym/dojo time.  S/F....Ken M  

Pretty much.