tanknet.org

That river gunboat with the PT 76 turret looked interesting. I didn't know they still used the old Soviet ensign

They normally don't. The russian navy normally flies the simple blue st. andreas cross on white. I guess it is some museum piece like the old soviet tanks rolling in land parades?

Well, having three to four oceans/seas to cover with little or no secure SLOC doesn't help. Neither do civil wars and communism.

The soviet navy was the biggest they ever had, but it was split between the baltic and black seas, the polar and the sea of Japan. There is just too much continent inbetween and it is more of a land power anyway with not much overseas interests.

Edited by Panzermann

According to index.hu, these ships went to a joint exercise to the Baltic Sea till 9 August. 70 ships, 58 planes and chopters, 10.000 soldiers will show how well they conduct intra-fleet operations, and how prepared are for to protect the interests of Russia.

A referenced VCIOM state-owned pollster says 67% of Russians think their fleet is the strongest, 89% thinks the Navy can protect the Russian borders, 56% would support their child if they would choose a career at the Navy.

Edited by Adam Peter

Our defence policy is simple, any money spent should go to Liberal ridings and DND should return a couple of billion given to it each year unspent to make the budget balance.

• 4 weeks later...

You would have to build an entire new steam plant for her. Im sure the original plans still exist, I just doubt whether they have the interest in doing so. Witness the lack of interest in celebrating the October Revolution in 2017 and you will see my oint.

Pretty ship. You can cant even see the join where the Soviet Navy built an entire new lower hull for her.

You would have to build an entire new steam plant for her. Im sure the original plans still exist, I just doubt whether they have the interest in doing so. Witness the lack of interest in celebrating the October Revolution in 2017 and you will see my oint.

Pretty ship. You can cant even see the join where the Soviet Navy built an entire new lower hull for her.

See also:

1280px-The_Soviet_Union_1968_CPA_3665_st