Storm In A Teacup, Or Rn Vs. Iran

DB

Not sure this is worthy of a full thread, but think it should be in here.

Following the seizure of Grace 1 by Royal Marines acting for the Gibraltar government, Iran attempted to interfere with the legal passage through the Straits of Hormuz of a British owned, Isle of Man registered tanker.

Waving 30mm guns at three "gunboats" seems to have resolved the specific confrontation, but the rhetoric is escalating

HMS Montrose and 4 minesweepers are in the area, but HMS Duncan has been despatched from the Black Sea early to reinforce.

Montrose is a Type 23 recently refit, replacing Sea Wolf with Sea Ceptor. Duncan is a Type 45.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Iranian attack on Tankers, gives the US a very nice excuse to batter Iranian military installations. Plus it would drive up insurance rates for everyone, pushing up the cost of transporting oil, not good for anyone producing oil there.

There is a diplomatic move underway which has Jeremy Hunt talking to the Iranian Foreign minister to let the Grace 1 go, if they give assurances the oil is NOT going to go to Syria. And to be honest, im inclined to believe the Iranians for once. I think they were going to sell it at sea to ships as they initially claimed. It would be a stupid like on their part anyway, seeing as they would have to sail past Cyprus and we have a flight of F35B's there we could use for surveillance.

Of course, we dont comply with the American sanctions. We only comply with the EU Syrian sanctions. If they can prove it doesnt go there, its nothing to do with us. But that doesnt mean that it wont be picked up by the American 6th Fleet after we get it go, and I suspect it probably will.

Appeasement? Depends how you look at it. Iran continually sniping at our Tankers is going to result in a war nobody wants. Personally, I doubt America would thank us for starting one.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

I think everyone here saw this one coming.

Yup. tit for tat basically.

Russian media coverage, including situation with Rus sailors on detained tanker

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvck35wiEto

Goes to show how "British" the tanker is. Crews are nowadays always an international mix with a large slice of the crew from the filipines.

[

Interesting how the Russian Government backs Iran for the abduction of one of their citizens. Makes you think doesn't it?

As long as the russian is treated well, it is paid days off for him. ;)

Uk is going around begging for a fleet:

"Hunt said he had consulted with foreign ministers of Oman, the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Finland, Spain and Denmark."

https://www.apnews.com/65890b80d403489c8b1b249cdc954857

Note the irony of Brexit UK ruling the waves. Or not. The USN fleet innthe ara seems to keep its distance, I guess for the UK atance on the JCOPA.

Edited by Panzermann

Speaking of the LCS, as much contempt and derision as it has earned, wouldn't something like that seem to be somewhat well suited for this sort of thing?

-K

Speaking of the LCS, as much contempt and derision as it has earned, wouldn't something like that seem to be somewhat well suited for this sort of thing?

-K

Actually yes, operate from a shore base, up the armament and the self defense bits. They could actual salvage a bit of their rep, which is why you won't see them there I bet.

LCS? We would be better off arming the isle of Man ferry...

That is a proven solution. New Zealand has already demonstrated the utility of an armed IoM ferry with HMNZS Canterbury, design based on MV Ben-my-Chree.

Edited by Anixtu

Thanks for that. Well judging by the amount of incidents MV Ben-my-Chree seems to have shrugged off, maybe arming it is the right idea. :D Gavin Williamson was pushing for small vessels to forward deploy SOF around the world, so the Canterbury is actually not a bad model.

My Grandfather came back from Dunkirk on the Mersey ferry. There is a long history of ferries turning in useful war service with the RN.

There was a good article about what we were looking at here.

http://www.hisutton.com/Royal_Navy_Littoral_Strike_Ships.html

Its based on the MV Craigside, or the Ocean Trader as its now known, which has been acquired for the US SOF community.

CRAGSIDE_674968.570x1140.jpg