• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:rolleyes:

I thought it was just me.

One only has to compare this attitude with the British stance on Gibraltar. I suppose they will evolve the "not east of Suez" policy, probably the major reason to give HK to the PRC, to a "not south of Jersey" one in order to realize an isolated Gibraltar is an intolerable drain on HM Treasury, turn a blind eye on those Gib freeloaders, and end the history of the last Colony in Continental Europe.

Pot Kettel.

Ceuta and Melilla, of which Morocco probably has a similar view. Just as Gibraltar is British by right of conquest, quite a while ago.

Spain acquired Gibraltar in 149... (?) and lost it in 1713. A bit over 200 years. So, it's been British for a bit over 300 years. And the locals seem to prefer British rule.

Would mentioning the Spanish Basque in this context be rude ...? :ph34r:

There are many bits and pieces of land which were conquered/occupied/annexed by some nation at some time in the past which now are part of that nation. If you start rolling these up, where do you start (and end)?

Sorry, spelling

As with so many things, what bits are rolled up depends on the political expediency of each particular instance. India and the question of Goa was an idea whose time had come. The same cannot be said right now of Spain and the idea of Gibraltar without a willingness to fight for the same.

Hoping someone else will do the necessary fighting for this level of political room to maneuver is a poor substitute for the willingness to do so on one's own in various ways.

As I've probably mentioned several times before, it doesn't matter what actually happened, who did it and who was the victim.

It was, is and always will be the fault of Perfidious Albion. :glare:

That bottom picture is like a Banksy painting. :D

That's why Banksy is genius - he captured the mood of the time.

Banksy is an overrated hack whose work is as deep as 8th grade philosophy.

Screw him for demonizing the national guard in New Orleans.

Reuters is now reporting the use of molotov cocktails against the police, which is interesting in various ways. What is not as interesting is the relatively restrained government response to them. This will probably change when Hongkongese police officers and their family members start feeling the burn of their fellow Hongkongese in their cool black tees, so to speak.

And that also speaks volumes about the time we live in.

He is a man of his times.

Im reminded of something Orwell wrote about political language being used in a manner that disguises truth. If Banksy is a hack, he is a hack that cuts through all the post millennial bullshit and touches on truth. Which is all you want from an artist really.

As I've probably mentioned several times before, it doesn't matter what actually happened, who did it and who was the victim.

Pretty much all I was trying to say really. You would think people would be bored with the same trite arguments.

Nah, only since the start of the Hundred Years War, and up to the Suez Crisis, more or less. :P

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49465836

A Hong Kong police officer fired a gunshot during protests on Sunday, the first time a live round has been used since demonstrations broke out in June.

Images show several other officers also pointed guns at protesters who were charging at them with sticks and poles.

In another first, police deployed water cannon against protesters earlier in the day.

The protests began in the city's Tsuen Wan district and then spread to the district of Tsim Sha Tsui.

Hong Kong police said 36 people had been arrested as a result of Sunday's protests, the youngest aged just 12.

The Communist Left is now supporting the Authoritarians in Hong Kong, how far the left has fallen, or perhaps they are showing their true colors finally? The Left in the US has always been full communist (Tropic Thunder reference).

And that also speaks volumes about the time we live in.

Dude I'm in my 40s. I grew up with art, my dad dose oil painting and my mother is an interior decorator. I myself have a huge creative streak and have dabbled in various media. Ive taken fine arts classes in high school. I grew up listening to classical music and traditional music of latin america.

So miss me with your passive aggressive bullshit that I'm up to my neck in a parking lot puddle. Banksy is overrated trash. He's a pastiche of Warhol. He's arts version of the Supreme fashion label.

He is not original. His popularity is amplified by his anonymity, which is a marketing gimmick.

Here he is slandering the National Guard, who saved New Orleans:

https://jayfingers.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/banksno2.jpeg

DEEEEEP MAAAAAAN:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tVZFeRCxzTc/T49Y3y8cUjI/AAAAAAAAEVo/SPxhcFEL9CU/s1600/Who-is-Banksy-Banksy-Graffiti.jpg

WEEEE DON'T CONNECT MAAAAAAN!

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_medium/public/thumbnails/image/2014/08/27/16/banksy.jpg

The Communist Left is now supporting the Authoritarians in Hong Kong, how far the left has fallen, or perhaps they are showing their true colors finally? The Left in the US has always been full communist (Tropic Thunder reference).

They were showing those SAME colors during the Holodomor. Then they started hiding them during the Cold war....now they're honest again...mostly....

The point at which regimes start cracking heads is the time to stop checking their political affiliation and start condemning.

China starts censoring any reference to Hong Kong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49428931

I particularly like this bit.

'One example on 21 August showed official broadcaster CCTV sharing footage of British police officers being heavy-handed with protestors during the 1984 UK miners' strike and the 2011 England riots.'

:D

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

They have been setting up reeducation camps for muslims as well. Whatever ones views on the Muslim faith, it doesnt take much effort to realise if they think Muslims are a threat, sooner or later they will move onto Christian's as well, at least if they represent appreciable numbers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/China_hidden_camps

They have been setting up reeducation camps for muslims as well. Whatever ones views on the Muslim faith, it doesnt take much effort to realise if they think Muslims are a threat, sooner or later they will move onto Christian's as well, at least if they represent appreciable numbers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/China_hidden_camps

They did that long ago.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/tags/chinese-patriotic-catholic-association