Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Daan

Yesterday Microsoft released the announcement trailer of the new installment of their Flight Simulator series. The in game graphics and especially the weather effects, assuming one possesses the needed workhorse, seem a great advance relative to what is on the market today (X-plane, DCS, P3D, Il2).

Unfortunately, I find the non combat flight sims to become rather stale pretty quickly.

It will be interesting to see if my employers have any role in this. I guess it depends on whether they plan to ship via steam or only via their own systems.

I still play FSX now and again. It really needs something like Airhauler 2 to keep it interesting though.

• 3 months later...

There is a clip posted on the drive showing a spin recovery in what is apparently a cessna. Very impressive indeed.

Im hoping this will be a good alternative to X Plane 11. I took the plunge but I really dont like it. Its not great it sets its store with the excellent of it flight models, when the SR71 is unable to go about Mach 1.8.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, Microsoft really intends to push everything else out of the market. Indeed, it looks superb, except the grass in the picture above is off. Such homogeneous fields are only found on golf courses, sports grounds or in parks and gardens. On a lakeside hill you will find many different grasses, tall and small, different herbs, flowers etc. all in close proximity.

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet. If its anything like FSX they will offer a broad range, though again if FSX is any guide, optimization will lag for about a decade or so.

I don't think so, and I believe MSFS will run pretty nicely on modern multicore CPUs with capable CPUs. Don't forget that it's also supposed to release on the next Xbox, and new consoles are usually equivalent to mid-high range PCs in performance.

• 2 weeks later...

New video right there.

It's interesting to spot the little defects in the photogrammetry-based scenery generation. The whole scene often is nearly indistinguishable from real-world video, but at low altitude, there's still room for improvement, especially on vertical surfaces such as trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HwLeJSAGc

• 3 weeks later...