Lucas Arts Strike Fleet

Tim the Tank Nut

I remember beating the Argentines with my shitty 40 mm guns while dodging their 100 mm gunfire. The missiles did apparently not always suffice to settle that scenario.

Some USN scenario was all about assigning two Standard missiles to every incoming missile, and everytime a SM did miss I added another one till the incoming missile disappeared or had to be stopped by Phalanx.

It's amazing how much the developers got out of the tiny RAM and poor processors of the 80's. U.S.A.A.F. was another gem that was hugely impressive.

Where it fell down was that it was simulating engagements you know in reality probably been beyond the horizon. But it was still a lot of fun.

PHM Pegasus for me was better. The engine simulated fast moving missile boat combat very well. And I love the addiition of the helicopter to give you OTH capability. It was just a hell of a lot of fun.

This company was just completely awesome back then.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Task Force 42 is available from Steam. Most addictive.

Does it come with dos box included as part of the package or do you have to install that separately?

It comes with DOSBox. The game is just dropped into the emulator and you run it all together.

Task Force 1942 is a whopping $1.74 with the Steam Summer Sale going on. Price is good through the 9th.

Task Force 42 is available from Steam. Most addictive.

Does it come with dos box included as part of the package or do you have to install that separately?

What FCO said. Sorry to be late Harold, I was in transit. I'll also add this scanning for controls. Happy hunting!:

2IOXFk.jpg

Cheers!

Ken

Thanks, that will come in handy. My biggest issue currently is trying to make it look less ass like. I actually bought a bundle that includes silent service 1&2 so I've got those to fart around with.

Edited by Harold Jones

If you like we2 naval warfare, try this. Looks crap, but it has everything as far as surface action. Based on pre Ww2 IS naval academy data.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/action-stations-130

Need to run some kind of drafting application in parallel to have a plot, but it was quite realistic. I remember a game in the Denmark Strait scenario where HMS Hood blew up with the second salvo from Bismarck.

If you like we2 naval warfare, try this. Looks crap, but it has everything as far as surface action. Based on pre Ww2 IS naval academy data.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/action-stations-130

Need to run some kind of drafting application in parallel to have a plot, but it was quite realistic. I remember a game in the Denmark Strait scenario where HMS Hood blew up with the second salvo from Bismarck.

Yeah, I refought that one several times. Hood didnt really stand a chance. I think from wargaming it, POW was actually rather lucky to get away.

The whole system was based on data assembled for the Naval War Academy prewar, and whilst it didnt work that fantastically at close range (because with 3 minute turns an engagement could begin and be over before you could respond), for actions further out, including fleet on fleet surface actions, it was an amazing piece of work. I dont think I ever played another naval wargame that felt as authentic. Counterflooding, flooding magazine, searchlights, alternate directors, floatplanes, starshells, yada yada yada.

Now if they could make a game with all the same data and couple it to a decent 3d engine, we would have something truly groundbreaking.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith