Digital Combat Simulator

Stuart Galbraith

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North Caucasus is a mixed bag. There are parts of it they have done really well, such as the tunnel and the dam as you see. But they have simplified part of it. Ive actually put in the Soviet Air Defence system of the region (what can I say, I was bored) and it was saddening to see how many map features they left out. Perhaps just as well, i get slowdowns in multiplayer as it is.

On the positive side, ive discovered GCI by ground based radar systems is possible in the Mig21. Im impressed, previously Id heard you had to have an AWAC's in play to make that work.

On the other hand, 'they' also put a lot of extra features on the map, such as all the airfields and airbases. If you take a look at Google Earth, in reality these 'airbases' are little more than a collection of overgrown as well as broken slaps of concrete.

Edited by Daan

I'd settle for the promised 3D object placement editing. Such a pain to have to switch between the editor and the game to see if you have a plane, tank, etc. in the proper place and aligned correctly.

• 1 month later...

I had an interesting debate on the F14 thread on the DCS forum. It seems some people cant dogfight now that it doesnt vibrate like an electric toothbrush. Go figure. :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=245762&page=9

Thanks for that, have you ever seen this one, it might come in quite useful for the Falcon when it arrives next week.

The book is pretty interesting too.

Yeah, I read the booklet by the man with the stache. I also installed the latest iteration of BMS, but have not yet come around to actually play it, so much to configure and map. It is even less user-friendly than DCS and alt-tabbing freezes the game. You are supposed to consult the many manuals on a separate system or iPad or even to print it.

Currently, I am back to playing with the Viggen, making bombing runs on the Cold War server.

Edited by Daan

I keep meaning to check out that Cold War Server, I always keep missing it for some reason. The into the inferno one is pretty good. I actually took off from the carrier, bagged 2 Mig21's (AI ones, but still nice) and then land back on the carrier in my F14. Felt pretty awesome. :)

Alpenwolf's Cold War server often does not show up in the normal server list. Like most of the active DCS MP servers, it requires the beta version of the game instead of 'stable release'. I converted my 'stable release' to beta using SkateZilla's utility, which proved to be quite simple and resulted in a stable game that now updates itself to the latest beta version.

When the Cold War server does not show up, you can connect to it by using its IP: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=211361

On week nights there are mostly 10-20 people playing and in the weekends a bit more.

However, if you are dreaming of using the F-14B to swat some MiG-21s on the Cold War server, I am afraid this will remain a reverie, as the F-14B is not allowed. Available aircraft are the AJS-37, F-5E, AV-8B+, F-86, A-10A, MiG-15bis, MiG-19, MiG-21bis, baseline Su-25 and some of the warbirds. There are no AI aircraft (except AWACS) and some players, especially Eastern European MiG-21bis jockeys, are quite good.

Edited by Daan

I think its got incrementally better. Ive got better results from sparrow of late. And Sidewinder seems to be fairly accurate, particularly when you have a height advantage on an adversary.

As for drag, im no expert, but one of the developers 'Chizh', said that they are planning on doing some more with the Phoenix, which includes some aerodynamic modifications. They are looking at October for that, although I guess that doesnt mean we will actually see it in October. :D

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=247011&page=17

I had an interesting debate on the F14 thread on the DCS forum. It seems some people cant dogfight now that it doesnt vibrate like an electric toothbrush. Go figure. :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=245762&page=9

Thanks for that, have you ever seen this one, it might come in quite useful for the Falcon when it arrives next week.

The book is pretty interesting too.

That came with the Falcon 3.0 Gold deluxe edition as a separate CD ROM. That takes me way back. I've shared my story about how I got that game.

Yeah, I had one of the lower level version's of it, I never got the Gold Version. And I still regret never having got the Mig29 addon pack, although in fairness it would have been nothing that DCS doesnt offer (other than a dynamic campaign).

Same with Fleet Defender. Ive flirted with getting it again on Steam because of its first rate campaign, although in truth after the F14 DCS, I just dont think I could cope with the blocky graphics now.