Digital Combat Simulator

Stuart Galbraith

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still have the damage modelling they brought out over 10 years ago with the 'Lock On' series. They are presently doing an upgrade to all the game objects to have realistic hitboxs not a million miles away from how Steel Beasts do it.

This is how they intend to impliment it. Ive not read they specifically intend to add it to land vehicles, but that is my impression. They are already trying to try and do more with ground vehicles, but till they get the damage modelling sorted out, there are clear limitations.

p-51_x-ray.jpg

Fw190D9-x-ray.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yes it does.

Ill be honest I dont think electronic jets are really my thing. Ive fallen in love with the F14 in the game, and I also like the Mig29's pitch authority. Fly By Wire gets in the way of doing stupid stuff that might save your life. But Ill probably get it anyway, partly because its iconic, partly because you can use the damn thing in nearly every theatre. That and I grew up playing the Falcon series. :D

The only thing I dont like is that they arent going to model the JSOW, although as I believe they are on the F18 they sell, so its difficult to be upset by that.

In other news, a modding team is building a free Mig25RBT. Nice Tomcat fodder. :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244919

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

The JSOW is already available on the F/A-18C right now in DCS. Apparently the F-16C variant ED is developing did not have JSOW, which came later, and it was removed as a loadout option.

If you like the more primitive planes, try the MiG-21bis. It was originally made by Leatherneck (later Heatblur), which also did the Viggen and Tomcat, so the MiG has a nice if quirky flight model, engine flame outs and it rattles like an old car doing certain maneuvers. Landings should be conducted according to exact parameters at high speed or you will stall, crash or break the landing gear. If you managed to waste all your pressurized air during fight, you will not be able to deploy your landing gear nor your brake parachute. The simple cockpit is in the gloriously awful Soviet style with an often rather bizarre placement of the flight instruments. When compared to the nicely laid out cockpit of its contemporary, the F-5E, you really wonder what the Soviet designers were thinking. However, the MiG-21bis does have a functional autopilot and a more extensive navigation system, allowing for the interesting RSBN block approach to the airfield in poor visibility.

The current developer, Magnitude LLC, is busy revamping the cockpit, but this means some features are bugged right now. Most conspicuous of which are the flood lights. The default campaign is of poor quality and broken as well. I downloaded a user made update to the campaign, but it is still not enjoyable. Like in the original version, most missions start at night or dawn and the cockpit flood lights are missed dearly. While instrument flying does have its attractions, it is impossible to spot the opposing aircraft in the pitch black of night. Yesterday, I turned the labels on and spent some time chasing red chevrons on an otherwise black screen all the while trying to avoid crashing into a mountain :glare:.

Though the single player campaign experience is rather poor, there are two Cold War multiplayer servers in which the MiG-21bis is able to shine. You can bind a key to immediately request a bogey dope call from the AWACS to help you find the opponent.

------------

With respect to mods, a new trainer recently came available, the MB-339A: http://www.freccetricolorivirtuali.net/, https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244476

It looks nice, but I am not too interested in flying trainers and doing aerobatics.

Regarding the MiG-25 mod, why on earth did they decide for a recce variant? It has no use in the DCS universe. :( I would pay $70,- for a MiG-25P or PD model. DCS really lacks high fidelity red aircraft of the later Cold War era.

Edited by Daan

Yeah, I have the mig21. Ive not played it for a while, for which there is no good reason because I agree, its excellent. I find that and the Spitfire my favourite rides in DCS. The latter is a complete bitch on takeoff and landing, just like the original.

Re Mods, there is also someone working on a T45, which will be a nice filler for the now defunct hawk.

Have you tried the Dogfight server? I have a ton of fun on that with the F14. Its still a handful but im slowly getting the hand of it. Incidentally there is a really great video here on how to get the best out the F14, which ive found really interesting.

I did have a saitek X56, which was ok but the build quality was so lousy the switches stopped working. In the end I plumped for a Thrustmaster Warthog and throttle, which are pretty excellent. Ive got some saitek pedals, which are fairly cheap and pretty necessary for the F14, and I got a Occulus rift vr goggles.

Well I dont spend lots of money out partying each weekend, so Its my present to me for being a dull boy. :D

I second the comment on the Warthog stick and throttle, but I only paid € 100,- for a second hand set that had hardly been used. My pedals are new 'VKB T-rudder pedals mk IV', which I advise to stay away from due to the recurring software errors (and resulting spontaneous rudder inputs) in the so-called orange box of the system, even with updated firmware. For head movements I have a used Track IR 5 system for which I paid € 120-130 IIRC.

Thats disappointing about the pedals, VKB have a pretty good reputation for sticks from what I read online.

I may at length get the Thrustmaster pedals, but they cost an arm and leg, and Ive doubts whether they would fit under my desk. :D

I might get the F18 stick to go on the warthog base. I want to get back into flying the Harrier again, and its near identical to the one the Harrier uses.

I won't get the F/A-18 stick for the Warthog base, as it does not have the nice platform of the A-10C/F-16C stick to rest my hand on. Of course, this is no problem when the stick is not standing on a desk.

Yeah, thats true. I use mine on a desk too.

If I clear out the shed, I might be able to build a half decent Tomcat cockpit, but there doesnt seem much point if you are playing in vr. :D

I can't believe your shed doesn't have a really impressive model railway layout in it. Mine is more of a latex dungeon (well, lots of dive gear anyway).

I was going to Chris, but real life events got in the way. Ive bought half the great western railway in OO gauge when I do.

In truth, since my father died, its not that I lost interest, its kind of painful to go back to it. But I probably will someday.

Yeah, thats true. I use mine on a desk too.

If I clear out the shed, I might be able to build a half decent Tomcat cockpit, but there doesnt seem much point if you are playing in vr. :D

Stuart with VR googles on, how do you see the keyboard to know what keys you're pressing to operate all of the aircraft systems and functions that are not on the stick and throttle?

You dont. :D

For the most important controls I have them mapped onto the joystick, usually the same or identical location they are on the real aircraft. You can also click all the buttons inside the aircraft (or at least, all the ones with clickable cockpits, the FC3 ones dont have any) and operate it that way. For example, the F14 has some different hud modes, Cruise, AA, Take off, etc. So I select them via the buttons in the virtual cockpit. The mouse isnt easy to use when you are in BFM, but of course, thats probably true with someone trying to find a button in combat also. DCS are already working on integrating gloves, which might be an option for the future.

Some you simply cant replicate, so I just tip up the goggles so I can see out the bottom, and press the relevant key. Shift U for cat launch for example.

The other alternative is to use something like Voice attack. Ive not used this much because the mode sheet that was produced for the DCS F14 is a bit patchy, but the places where it was working, worked brilliantly. For example, in a dogfight I can tell my RIO 'Drop Tanks!' and he will pickle them off. Really useful. My main reluctance to use it is that Ive yet to overcome the stigma of talking to myself. :D

When you get used to the limitations, VR is fantastic. yes, mine fog up, yes, the distant view is not a patch on a monitor. But when you have your first furball, you will be amazed at the situational view you get. I have not tried track IR, but I cannot see it competing with it. Perhaps wait a couple of years till they manage to up the resolution and actually design them to operate with someone with glasses though....

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

Enjoying the hell out of Growling Sidewinder channel. The rematch between the F-14 v Su-33 where their missiles hit each other was awesome. So was the MiG-29 v F-15 fight, where the F-15 pulls a 11 to 13 g maneuver to evade a missile.

Chuck's guide for the F-14B is out, only 438 pages. ^_^

Chuck's guides are a great way for a beginner to get to grips with new DCS airplane without reading the often very dry manuals that come with each aircraft.