Busted > F-16 Manuals For Eagle Dynamics

MiloMorai

https://www.standard.net/news/military/russian-jailed-in-weber-county-charged-with-smuggling-f-/article_b7055cb8-d770-5b23-bf66-785104ff5152.html

​

Tishchenko, who identified himself on eBay as a developer for the Moscow-based Eagle Dynamics video game company, assured the Texan there was no problem because the manuals were “obsolete.”

He only wanted to get manuals to “understand how stuff works” for implementing various fighters into the company’s Digital Combat Simulation World game.

Blocked in Euroland. However there is this.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/05/15/kremlin-protests-over-us-arrest-of-russian-accused-of-smuggling-fighter-jet-manuals-a65590

When exactly did this arrest occur? I notice DCS have been incredibly cagy over people posting stuff from manuals, even ones (such as the F14) that have been long declassified. I guess I can see why now.

Rather Ironic, they said they would never develop a Russian combat aircraft to the same degree they have the F18 because of security concerns of the mainly Russian developers....

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=240962&highlight=Oleg+Tishchenko

Lausanne, 14 May 2019.

The Eagle Dynamics group, headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, confirms that one of its employees has been jailed in the State of Utah (USA) on charges of seeking to procure, export and sell restricted US fighter jet manuals, in particular the F-16.

Eagle Dynamics confirms that it was not involved in any way in the actions of its employee who acted in a purely private context and for his own personal interests.

The Company develops all of its DCS aircraft game modules exclusively on the basis of publicly available information and has never used nor tried to obtain any classified information.

The Company launched an internal investigation into the actions of its employee, and found nothing in the company's records that relates to the facts that are being held against him. The investigation confirmed in particular that no company resources were used and that no export restricted documents were obtained or stored within the company's systems. Furthermore, the Company confirms that the employee was not involved in any of the work or research pertaining to the development of the Company's upcoming F-16 module.

The development of the F-16 and other modules currently in the pipeline will continue in order to further enhance the simulation experience of DCS World. These events will not affect Eagle Dynamics' commitment to its users and faithful community.

Thank you,
Matt Wagner
Senior Producer, Eagle Dynamics SA

I think that as a Tax Payer, I would rather see such material hoovered up by staff designated for the task rather than potentially ensnaring someone not realizing that such material was illegal to obtain and take out of the country.

If I came across a manual for some form of vintage gear and there was a legitimate reason for it to be considered confidential or secret still, I'd be fine with handing such over to a Fed with proper credentials.

Depends where it is. I wouldn't buy it online. If, for example, I somehow chanced upon a copy of a Challenger 2 manual at a militaria fair, would I buy it? Yes. Partly to take it out of circulation, partly because Im interested in the vehicle. I would display common sense where I displayed it though, which would be to nobody else. The only manuals ive ever copied have been of vehicles out of circulation in the British Army.

I once bought a manual that showed the TOE of 22 SAS Regiment at a shop in Evesham. That was only 10 years old at the time I bought it.. Ive never shared it anywhere, just on the off chance it wasnt off the restricted list. Personally, I think I did the MOD a favour. Others perhaps wouldnt.