Minuteman

On the question on the terror of nuclear war, by far the most harrowing treatment is the Soviet film, Letters From a Dead Man. It is almost unwatchably grim:

Edited by KV7

:D

About 25 years ago, i must have watched this on telly. Ive never watched it since, but I recall it was pretty well done for a TV movie. People may recall this incident was written about in Eric Schlosser''s Command and Control'.

And, that was only one Minuteman missile.

Also it was deMIRV'd. What is the current status of the ~450 operational missiles? They were deMIRV'd previously, but I think the treaty that handled that was never ratified. Also I think there was going to be an effort to mount the W87 warheads from MX in the remaining minute man fleet.

About 25 years ago, i must have watched this on telly. Ive never watched it since, but I recall it was pretty well done for a TV movie. People may recall this incident was written about in Eric Schlosser''s Command and Control'.

Titan had a thin skin. Did they have to pressurize the missile when it was unfueled like Atlas?

I caught the end of it. Yeah, pretty chilling.

Threads wasnt as funny, but it was probably more realistic.

Threads is the most sobering and terrifying movie I have watched. I need to give that movie KV7 mentioned above a go. The one thing about these media productions on the nuclear holocaust, is even with all the special effects in the world, they still can not capture how truly horrifying it would be.

Stuart I know you're not on Facebook, but for anyone else that is, there is a Titan museum that has a Facebook page, they regularly posts videos explaining how the silo and missile worked, giving detailed explanation from their preserved missile silo. It can be found here. Quite fascinating https://www.facebook.com/The-Titan-Missile-Museum-225757590289/

Edited by Mr King

Thanks Mr King. Yeah, I dont use facebook, though as I signed up to oculus rift, im pretty sure the facebook intelligence agency knows all it needs to know about me anyway.

There was actually a very interesting book on Amazon I had my eye on, which I have yet to do because it was bloody expensive. Titan interests me because its not widely know, the silo's were based on a British design. We had a bunker developed for Blue Streak, which after the latters cancellation was never actually built. So we gave all the plans (or at the very least, details) to the Americans who, so im led to understand, incorporated it in the Titan silo's. On the basis of that explosion, I guess we didnt do such a bad job. :D

Well I shouldn't say built, because we did start building them as you can see here. We never actually got any finished. A pity, it would have been a genuinely nice relic to have. A modern iteration of the castle in some respects I suppose you could say.

http://www.spaceuk.org/journal/prospero3.pdf

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

Titan had a thin skin. Did they have to pressurize the missile when it was unfueled like Atlas?

I think so. If you had a vacuum in the missile, it would crush like a tin can.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

• 3 weeks later...

It's not the old technology that's alarming (at least to me). Could be worse, could be running on Windows 95 :D

It's that if the picture they've painted regarding poor upkeep and Navy-esque failure to adhere to procedure and protocols / conduct unbecoming (Fitzgerald) is even partially true, then that is concerning. Makes you wonder just how widespread are these problems? What's even more concerning is that the average layperson would never hear about it, and when they DO it has to come from that obviously left leaning show...

Those are the sort of intangibles that are affected when the budget is meddled with too much or leadership isn't held accountable, even if there's no obvious outward change to the layperson (ie, congress)

Edited by Burncycle360

Oh, dear it uses old proven technology that does what it's supposed to do? Obviously that's a problem. :rolleyes:

However well it works when it's working, it's a problem if no one can support it anymore. A lot of aircraft, vehicles etc.have been retired down the years because parts ran out.

I suspect that they could noodle up a contract for Texas Instruments, Intel, Microchip, Micron or other US semi-conductor manufacturers to spool up a production line for relevant parts. The methods for making those sorts of boards and components is trivial compared to what we have today (trace sizes aren't tiny) and mixing current design board fab which is just shy of loading software and hitting 'print'. You can find companies that will print and fab a PCB for you in as little as a few days. (https://www.4pcb.com).

When I worked at Daystar Digital, they had little old asian ladies there soldering replacement traces on boards to fix logic and conductor issues on their Accelerator cards to account for chip changes. They could turn consumer units around for a processor or bug fix in a day or two including testing. A mix of refurbing old boards, component repair, proof testing and rebuilds could easily be done if not entirely uncheaply.

It's really just a question of cost to make new vs designing a new system and getting it tested for security. This stuff MUST be secure. If it's not it's a huge mistake. Using current systems to make a secure control system with modern feature rich systems.....bad idea.

Edited by rmgill