Notre Dame Cathedral On Fire

Stuart Galbraith

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely devastating!! One of the most iconic cathedrals of Europe. I have been there several times. :(

Highly symbolic too, following the persecution of Catholics in early 20th century France and the enormous decline of church attendance that century.

Perhaps they could replace it with a giant mosque, much more appropriate for the France of today, especially Paris. I am sure the Gulf monarchies would be willing to subsidize such a grand scheme.

your url is just as fubar as the title of this thread.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794

Notre-Dame cathedral: Firefighters tackle blaze in Paris

A fire has broken out at the famous Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris and has spread rapidly across the building.

The cause was not immediately clear, but officials say that it could be linked to renovation work.

Images on social media show plumes of smoke billowing into the air above the 850-year-old Gothic building.

Last year, the Catholic Church in France launched an urgent appeal for funds to save the cathedral, which was starting to crumble.

A major operation is under way to tackle the blaze, which broke out on Monday afternoon. An area surrounding the building in central Paris has been cleared, officials said.

French President Emmanuel Macron has cancelled his planned speech to the nation in light of the fire, which has engulfed the giant spire of the cathedral, an Élysée Palace official said.

The mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, described it as a "terrible fire" and urged people at the scene to respect the boundaries set up by fire crews in order to ensure that they remain safe.

US President Donald Trump suggested "perhaps flying water tankers" could be used to extinguish the fire.

The Notre-Dame cathedral, which is visited by millions of people every year, is undergoing renovations after cracks began to appear in the stone, sparking fears the structure could become unstable.

*shrug* not the first time an old church burns down. Happens from time to time. Though rarer these days with electric lighting instead of candles.

Absolutely devastating!! One of the most iconic cathedrals of Europe. I have been there several times. :(

Highly symbolic too, following the persecution of Catholics in early 20th century France and the enormous decline of church attendance that century.

Perhaps they could replace it with a giant mosque, much more appropriate for the France of today, especially Paris. I am sure the Gulf monarchies would be willing to subsidize such a grand scheme.

Huh? :huh:

your url is just as fubar as the title of this thread.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794

Notre-Dame cathedral: Firefighters tackle blaze in Paris

A fire has broken out at the famous Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris and has spread rapidly across the building.

The cause was not immediately clear, but officials say that it could be linked to renovation work.

Images on social media show plumes of smoke billowing into the air above the 850-year-old Gothic building.

Last year, the Catholic Church in France launched an urgent appeal for funds to save the cathedral, which was starting to crumble.

A major operation is under way to tackle the blaze, which broke out on Monday afternoon. An area surrounding the building in central Paris has been cleared, officials said.

French President Emmanuel Macron has cancelled his planned speech to the nation in light of the fire, which has engulfed the giant spire of the cathedral, an Élysée Palace official said.

The mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, described it as a "terrible fire" and urged people at the scene to respect the boundaries set up by fire crews in order to ensure that they remain safe.

US President Donald Trump suggested "perhaps flying water tankers" could be used to extinguish the fire.

The Notre-Dame cathedral, which is visited by millions of people every year, is undergoing renovations after cracks began to appear in the stone, sparking fears the structure could become unstable.

*shrug* not the first time an old church burns down. Happens from time to time. Though rarer these days with electric lighting instead of candles.

sorry. I really should use the laptop than a kindle.

Feel free to edit Mr mod if you can.

Under president Combes culminating in the "Loi de séparation des Églises et de l'État" of 1905. Church property was seized and many congregations, monasteries and monastic orders were broken up with priests, monks and nuns fleeing abroad.

Horrible, horrible thing. Heartbreaking even.

(...)

Yeah, sure.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

Under president Combes culminating in the "Loi de séparation des Églises et de l'État" of 1905. Church property was seized and many congregations, monasteries and monastic orders were broken up with priests, monks and nuns fleeing abroad.

You are confusing the organisation catholic church for catholics. The greedy catholic church has never agreed to voluntarily give its riches back in secularisation. It always had to be forced. Of course other greedy bastards took it then for themselves.

Horrible, horrible thing. Heartbreaking even.

(...)

Yeah, sure.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

The church in the village I live in burnt down five or six times in about a thousand years of it standing there. So about every 200 years on average it burns down. Hmm, a bit overdue by now. ;) Sure only anecdotal, but many old churches have been rebuilt several times over their history.

An accident on the Notre Dame construction site is imho the most probable at the moment. why should people who want to burn it down wait until they start a restoration project?

You are confusing the organisation catholic church for catholics. The greedy catholic church has never agreed to voluntarily give its riches back in secularisation. It always had to be forced. Of course other greedy bastards took it then fo

The Catholic church is generally perceived to consist of actual Catholics. No less than 54 monastic orders were dissolved with over 20000 of its members fleeing abroad. Individual Catholics not in monastic orders or the priesthood were also persecuted. Thousands of Catholic schools were closed and religious instruction in school was forbidden. Chaplains were removed from the army and later the navy, including those in military hospitals. Soldiers were prohibited from membership of Catholic associations. Moreover, Combes had Masonic lodges construct spy rings to closely observe Catholic military officers and to prevent their promotion in the hierarchy.

Edited by Daan

From live video it seems that firefighters have made some progress - fire in front towers has been apparently extinguished and it does not have spred further into structure. Also I presume that much of the flammable material has already been burned out.

(...)

The Catholic church is generally perceived to consist of actual Catholics. No less than 54 monastic orders were dissolved with over 20000 of its members fleeing abroad. Individual Catholics not in monastic orders or the priesthood were also persecuted. Thousands of Catholic schools were closed and religious instruction in school was forbidden. Chaplains were removed from the army and later the navy, including those in military hospitals. Soldiers were prohibited from membership of Catholic associations. Moreover, Combes had Masonic lodges construct spy rings to closely observe Catholic military officers and to prevent their promotion in the hierarchy.

There was the Vendeé genocide, also.

From live video it seems that firefighters have made some progress - fire in front towers has been apparently extinguished and it does not have spred further into structure. Also I presume that much of the flammable material has already been burned out.

The internal structure of the twin front towers is wood.