tanknet.org

Not sure how it works these days, but in the early 90s there were enough generations* of MREs in the system that it was rare to get stuck with the same meal choices day after day. I'm not sure how the grunts and arty guys distributed the meals, but tank crews just got a case every few days. Since the cases carry twelve meals and we usually got at least two hot meals a day it worked out pretty well. During the ground war in ODS we ate MREs 3 meals a day but since everyone on my crew had different tastes finding one you could tolerate wasn't a problem. The ones no one would eat (Chicken Cacciatore stands out in my memory) went into a box along with the odds and ends from the accessory packs and such. Even if the main meal sucked the crackers and stuff made for a radio watch snack.

Where supply could fuck you was in the available T-Rations. The way my supply sgt. explained it was that larger units got first choice at the distribution sites. Since combat arms units tended to have the lowest headcount the popular meals tended to be gone before their turn came up. Add to that, that the company I was in was cross attached to an infantry bn which made us the lowest headcount unit in the bn and the meals were not particularly diverse. The pattern seemed to be Chili and Rice for 4 nights in a row then a break for something else and then another string of Chili and Rice.

*It seemed like every 2 or 4 years some meals were added and some removed. Plus there were changes to accessory packets and other odds and ends.

Edited by Harold Jones
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

In my time in the RDA (80s and 90s) all field kitchens had long since been scrapped and we relied on 24 hour rations for field use. Canned meals and bread, meat, cheese etc to make sandwhices. A little pack of crackers, the chocolate bar and a bag of fruit "pulp" were especially popular as you could eat them in the foxhole or standing in the hatch of your vehicle. The canned meals lost any attractivity after a week but I usually had a motorcycle orderly at my disposal - and he could always find a butcher and a baker.

I also recall that we were told at the officers school to always keep the men informed. Some used time to tell them in detail about the greater manoeuvres of the exercise - most couldn't care less - but tell them that the orderly will bring fresh meat tonight and we have a shower tomorrow - and you have their full attention :D

Edited by Redbeard

Where supply could fuck you was in the available T-Rations. The way my supply sgt. explained it was that larger units got first choice at the distribution sites. Since combat arms units tended to have the lowest headcount the popular meals tended to be gone before their turn came up. Add to that, that the company I was in was cross attached to an infantry bn which made us the lowest headcount unit in the bn and the meals were not particularly diverse. The pattern seemed to be Chili and Rice for 4 nights in a row then a break for something else and then another string of Chili and Rice.

We had shrimp every day, twice a day, for a week or 10 days. We had shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, pepper shrimp, coconut shrimp. Then we had shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes.....

The best meal our platoon had was when we traded toiletry articles to some Bedouins for roasted goat.

We had shrimp every day, twice a day, for a week or 10 days. We had shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, pepper shrimp, coconut shrimp. Then we had shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes.....

The best meal our platoon had was when we traded toiletry articles to some Bedouins for roasted goat.

giphy.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Came across this https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a28195650/shrinking-combat-rations/ they creep ever closer to the Jetson's style food pill.

pmx070119mre-03-1561562523.jpg?resize=76
There still needs to be plenty of water for rehydration or drinking. The ration will soak up water from somewhere. If from the soldiers body, he will have a miserable day. Edited by shep854