Gulf Coast I&i 2019

Harold Jones

Nah... The country lanes around Bovington were narrower, and with tall grass on the sides, too.

You were not on the bridge avoidance part of the drive.

Do you mean the re-enactment of Joan of Arc campaign around Orleans?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coworker who has been in Florida said we don't need to reserve hotel rooms, because there are so many hotels and motels. And that we should focus the Keys.

Yeah, finding rooms should be fairly easy. The Keys are sort of out of the way for the trip as planned. Although there is nothing stopping people from heading on down from Pensacola or Orlando if they choose.

I'm definitely planning on spending a couple of/three days in Washington beforehand, to see the Mall museums and the airport annex of the Smithsonian.

That's a good question. There are hotels within walking distance of the WW2 museum, but for some reason they are stupidly expensive for the period around October 10, i.e. US$250 to $400 a night. Staying out by the airport may be a better option. What's the transit like from the airport to downtown?

Us non-Murricans need at least one hotel adress for the ESTA, don't we?

Prime Day has taken care of the 2nd credit card, we'll see about the phone( Xianomi Mi A2 Lite EU version).

Do I need to apply for an international drivers license?

Last but most important: Anybody else from Germany attending? If so we could coordinate flights? Air travel and me haven't met for a looooong time.

Edited by Markus Becker

My suggestion is that we choose hotels because the sooner you book, the better the deal (generally).

Laws on the need for an IDP vary from state to state. You probably will never be asked for it but getting one may be playing it safe.

That's a good question. There are hotels within walking distance of the WW2 museum, but for some reason they are stupidly expensive for the period around October 10, i.e. US$250 to $400 a night. Staying out by the airport may be a better option. What's the transit like from the airport to downtown?

Kinda far.

Get a hotel in Metairie. You'd be close enough to Downtown without downtown problems (expense, crime, partyers). Highly recommend a hotel near I10 and the Causeway.

Edited by Stargrunt6

Kinda far.

Get a hotel in Metairie. You'd be close enough to Downtown without downtown problems (expense, crime, partyers). Highly recommend a hotel near I10 and the Causeway.

This general area? https://www.google.com/maps/search/metairie+hotels/@29.9974379,-90.1576026,16.13z/data=!4m4!2m3!5m1!10e4!6e3

Looks like that freeway interchange is a barrier for moving on foot. Which quadrant do you recommend? There are more restaurants, and a shopping mall, in the NW one.

Edited by sunday

Kinda far.

This general area? https://www.google.com/maps/search/metairie+hotels/@29.9974379,-90.1576026,16.13z/data=!4m4!2m3!5m1!10e4!6e3

Looks like that freeway interchange is a barrier for moving on foot. Which quadrant do you recommend? There are more restaurants, and a shopping mall, in the NW one.

NW would be better, the NE not too bad either. All hunger problems can be solved on Veterand BLVd. Rideshare is available. I can make recommendations for restaurants too.

I'm definitely planning on spending a couple of/three days in Washington beforehand, to see the Mall museums and the airport annex of the Smithsonian.

Pick your shots, you can easily spend close to a full day at Udvar-Hazy. The museums on and near the National Mall are numerous and things are spread out so realistically you can probably get through two in a day, three if you start early, skim the exhibits and walk fast, That includes time to see some of the memorials, the Capitol and the White House. The day we did the mall for the NoVa I&I, I clocked 11 miles on my pedometer, that included 3 musuems (natural history, air and space, and US history) a tour of the capitol, a stroll over to the White House, the Washington Monument and I think the WW2 monument and Lincoln Memorial. You could cut down the walking by getting a hop on hop off bus ticket but I do not recommend driving and parking down there.

I don't expect to do any driving myself this trip. Did enough of that last time.

Bloody crazy Yanks and their wrong-side driving...

I drove all the time in France. The car got rammed from behind, too.

Since it's not readily apparent that the OX Ranch I&I has become the gulf coast I&I, I thought it was time to start a topic that reflects the current state of planning.

The proposed schedule (as last amended by Allan)

Thu 10/10 Day 0 Arrive New Orleans, overnight in NOLA
Fri 10/11 Day 1 NOLA stuff TBD, overnight in NOLA
Sat 10/12 Day 2 WW2 Museum and Battle of New Orleans Battlefield, overnight in NOLA
Sun 10/13 Day 3 USS Kidd, 10:00-12:00, 3 hours to Fort Gaines, AL, overnight in Daphne, AL
Mon 10/14 Day 4 Mobile Maritime Museum/USS Alabama, overnight in Daphne, AL
Tue 10/15 Day 5 Fort Morgan, possible half day at NAS Pensacola Naval Aviation museum or sightseeing in Mobile city, overnight in Daphne
Wed 10/16 Day 6 1 hour to Pensacola Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum, overnight in Daphne
Thu 10/17 Day 7 6 hours to Orlando, stuff TBD (*), overnight in Orlando
Fri 10/18 Day 8 Kennedy Space flight center 1 hour east of Orlando, overnight in Orlando
Sat 10/19 Day 9 Depart from Orlando (**)
As of March 22
Confirmed Attendees Full Program:
Me
Sunday
Markus Becker
DB
Allan Wotherspoon
Leo Niehorster
Dropins:
Shep854
FlyingCanOpener
Stargrunt6

Is the above the "final" schedule? At least regarding dates?

I might take a side trip to visit the family in Mexico before or after the I&I. So dates would be important. ;)

Same applies for my flight and hotel reservations.

Would be nice to reach a consensus regarding hotel(s).

--

Leo

How about these, the Hilton Garden has breakfast but it isn't included with the room.

NoLa https://www.choicehotels.com/louisiana/metairie/comfort-inn-hotels/la375?source=gyxt

Mobile area https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/alabama/hilton-garden-inn-mobile-east-bay-daphne-MOBEHGI/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-HI-MOBEHGI

Orlando https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/laquinta/orlando-florida/la-quinta-orlando-airport-north/overview

Changed Orlando Hotel to the one suggested by Allan

Edited by Harold Jones

Actually I have another suggestion for Orlando. I think a hotel by the airport would be a better choice to facilitate those flying out the next day. Its only around an hours drive to KSC from Orlando anyway.