Gulf Coast I&i 2019

Harold Jones

Ok,'2019 I&I, Ausf.B' is scheduled to last from October 10th to October 22nd.

Back to Post #1, then.

I'm looking at driving down & linking up Sat AM for the WWII museum, then heading home Wed., after the NAVAIR museum.

As mentioned above, I'll have my Escape, so can haul three comfortably.

Depending on numbers we can work with the escape and Allan's car and then rent one in Pensacola for the last part. Thankfully we won't face the luggage issues we ran into during the France I&I. I'm calling shotgun for one of the two vehicles.

Is it difficult to rent a sedan there, or are SUVs the only thing available?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,'2019 I&I, Ausf.B' is scheduled to last from October 10th to October 22nd.

Back to Post #1, then.

I'm looking at driving down & linking up Sat AM for the WWII museum, then heading home Wed., after the NAVAIR museum.

As mentioned above, I'll have my Escape, so can haul three comfortably.

Depending on numbers we can work with the escape and Allan's car and then rent one in Pensacola for the last part. Thankfully we won't face the luggage issues we ran into during the France I&I. I'm calling shotgun for one of the two vehicles.

Is it difficult to rent a sedan there, or are SUVs the only thing available?

:P I think I have just been microaggressed... 😆 Edited by shep854

Probably unworkable ...

How about buying a van and selling at the end?

Might be cheaper than the hire on two cars for some two weeks.

Found minivans (7 seats) in Kayak for about 780 bucks, from October 10th to 19th. Agencies are Dollar and Thrifty.

Avis has a 12-seater for $1,000, and a 7-seater for $755. Those are vans. A full size SUV, like a Chevy Tahoe, costs around $900, also with Avis.

All are unlimited mileage, and it seems most of insurance is included, but if someone has one of those fancy premium credit cards that include car rental insurance, and that could be a way to save something more.

Remember we have Pete's vehicle for all but the last 3 days and Allan is renting one also. Unless we get more people transport is covered. I plan on renting a car in Pensacola to cover the last stretch. If Jami comes along for the first bit I'll rent a car and if she doesn't then Uber/Lyft is perfectly acceptable way to get around Friday.

Depending on how things work out I'll be available for the stuff in Louisiana (NOLA/Baton Rouge) and might even to pull the same timeline as Pete. I'll have a station wagon and can sit 2-3. Don't rely on me for planning, but if I'm there we'll have more wheeled deathtraps for transport. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, looks like I'll be working in Atlanta now. So yeah, definitely can make it and will bring my own car.

Any idea what your itinerary will be? I assume you'll be coming through Birmingham; perhaps we can convoy. At any rate, keep in mind that you will face a bit of a detour through downtown BHM, with interstate reconstruction.

EDIT: Glancing at a map, it looks like I-85 to Montgomery, I-65 to Mobile, then I-10 to Nola is quickest for you.

Edited by shep854

No idea what itinerary will be, likely just the weekends. I'll make sure I'm not on call that weekend. yeah, AtL to NOLA bypasses Bham, but it doesn't change the time that much.

Edited by Stargrunt6

I need some traveling tips. My last flight with an airliner was many, many years ago, so I'm not up to date at all. And I have never been in the states.

What kind of paperwork do I need to get into the USA? It seems Germans don't need a visa but only if one has a e-passport with a chip and I don't.

Does a dual SIM mobile phone work in the USA with a US SIM card?

Stuff tp pack(connector plug) and stuff not to pack. Not meaning bombs, guns and drugs for all of that can be much more easily obtained in the USA but what about medicine and food for the 10-11 hour flight?

Some tips, not exhaustive.

I need some traveling tips. My last flight with an airliner was many, many years ago, so I'm not up to date at all. And I have never been in the states.

What kind of paperwork do I need to get into the USA? It seems Germans don't need a visa but only if one has a e-passport with a chip and I don't.

Renew your passport, then apply for ESTA here. You will need to provide for a staying address (to be introduced in a form you will receive aboard the plane and that you need to fill before passing Immigration, pack a pen with your carry-on luggage); for tourism, a hotel address will do. You need also to be able to show the airline ticket for the return flight.

Special travel insurance for USA and Canada is a must - medical expenses that would be covered by the national health organization could quickly go into the tens of thousands of USD. I've seen expenses for medical care in case of heart attack on the order of $100 000. Some credit cards would cover that, if you buy air tickets with them, but look to the terms and conditions.

If you are thinking about driving, you will need an international drivers license. Usually provided by the same people that will issue your German driving license.

Does a dual SIM mobile phone work in the USA with a US SIM card?

It depends on the device. Last ones do work. Have a look to the user's manual of yours. Usually it is better to use WiFi, and messaging applications. SMS should work fine, also. There is the possibility of renting small WiFi access points that work with the cell network, for using FB messaging and Whatsapp on the move, but could be used by several people simultaneously.

Stuff tp pack(connector plug) and stuff not to pack. Not meaning bombs, guns and drugs for all of that can be much more easily obtained in the USA but what about medicine and food for the 10-11 hour flight?

In travel to USA you will need to get to the airport two hours before boarding time - look at the website of your airline. Also for prohibited items, like blades, butane lighters, and the like. Bring comfortable shoes, better without shoestrings. You will need to put your electronics (computer, phone, etc.) in a separate tray when passing through security, and all metallic items too. To stay hydrated, bring an empty water bottle to drink during the fly, you could fill it after passing security. You could not import meat products, nor fresh fruits, nor vegetables to the USA. Dried fruit is ok. So if you are bringing food to eat aboard the plane, be sure to eat all the forbidden items before arriving. Of course, that will be less of a problem if travelling in Business or First Class, but for Economy class it should be considered. Travelling Premium Economy is an interesting option, too.

Look at the baggage allowances of your airline (size, weight, number of pieces), as they vary from company to company. Your checked luggage will be able to be fitted with a TSA-approved lock. Put all your valuables, prescription drugs, electronics, documentation, etc. in your carry-on luggage. Same for fragile items. Checked luggage could be treated quite roughly by the ramp personnel. A RFID-protected wallet could be useful. Remember the prohibited items you could not put in carry-ón luggage - you can find them on the website of your airline, also. Also, put enough clothes in your carry-ón luggage to be able to survive for a day or two in case your checked baggage gets delayed or lost. Bring a hat to protect from sun and rain, a light rain proof coat that packs small is very useful.

Bring two credit cards, at least - one should be left in a safe place at hotel. Some credit card issuers will block the cards if they are used in foreign countries - ask your provider about that. Be aware of the foreign transactions fee. While it is better to buy dollars in USA instead of at home, bring with you a moderate amount in case there are problems with your credit cards. You will need small denomination notes to pay for tips, or for the taxi from airport to hotel.

Look at your USB charger, and confirm that it works with 110V. Most of them do, as they are universal. Then you will only need a plug adapter. A power bank is an useful item to have, as you could charge only the power bank with only one USB charger, then refill your devices during the day. If you have a lot of electric devices, it is better to pack one adapter + one power strip

If you need to take drugs for chronical illness, like diabetes and the like, it is better to have the medical prescription with you. I had no issues with mine, but it could be convenient to have an official translation with you - ask your local translator's professional organization.

Here are some general tips. You may want to look to the relevant threads on the German-language forums of tripadvisor, for instance.

Probably I am forgetting something, too.

If you can travel with only carry-on luggage i would to it. Toiletries can all be purchased in the USA. I would make sure you cell works and seriously consider a data plan. It makes it much easier for all of us to keep in communication during the trip.

Re: Carry-on luggage, only:

Do they still have laundromats in the US?

I can't remember seeing one here in Germany or Holland lately.

Otherwise, normally, only larger hotels offer laundry service. But do they have overnight service?

(I remember a certain hotel in England — which name shall not be mentioned — who offered short-term laundry service, but in actual fact was three (I think) days.)

How bad is that is the airport security check in Germany?

How long does the online ESTA take? Is there a waiting / approval period?