Gulf Coast I&i 2019

Harold Jones

Since it's not readily apparent that the OX Ranch I&I has become the gulf coast I&I, I thought it was time to start a topic that reflects the current state of planning.

Hotels

NOLA https://www.choicehotels.com/louisiana/metairie/comfort-inn-hotels/la375?source=gyxt Check In Oct 10 Check Out Oct 13

Mobile area https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/alabama/hilton-garden-inn-mobile-east-bay-daphne-MOBEHGI/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-HI-MOBEHGI Check in Oct 13 Check Out Oct 17

Orlando https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/laquinta/orlando-florida/la-quinta-orlando-airport-north/overview Check in Oct 17 Check Out Oct 19

The proposed schedule (as last amended by Allan)

Thu 10/10 Day 0 Arrive New Orleans, overnight in NOLA
Fri 10/11 Day 1 NOLA stuff TBD, overnight in NOLA
Sat 10/12 Day 2 WW2 Museum and Battle of New Orleans Battlefield, overnight in NOLA
Sun 10/13 Day 3 USS Kidd, 10:00-12:00, 3 hours to Fort Gaines, AL, overnight in Daphne, AL
Mon 10/14 Day 4 Mobile Maritime Museum/USS Alabama, overnight in Daphne, AL
Tue 10/15 Day 5 Fort Morgan, possible half day at NAS Pensacola Naval Aviation museum or sightseeing in Mobile city, overnight in Daphne
Wed 10/16 Day 6 1 hour to Pensacola Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum, overnight in Daphne
Thu 10/17 Day 7 6 hours to Orlando, stuff TBD (*), overnight in Orlando
Fri 10/18 Day 8 Kennedy Space flight center 1 hour east of Orlando, overnight in Orlando
Sat 10/19 Day 9 Depart from Orlando (**)
As of March 22
Confirmed Attendees Full Program:
Me
Sunday
Markus Becker
DB
Allan Wotherspoon
Leo Niehorster
Dropins:
Shep854
FlyingCanOpener
Stargrunt6
Edited by Harold Jones

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some prettyfication

The proposed schedule (as last amended by Allan)

Thu 10/03 Day 0 Arrive New Orleans, overnight in NOLA
Fri 10/04 Day 1 NOLA stuff TBD, overnight in NOLA
Sat 10/05 Day 2 WW2 Museum and Battle of New Orleans Battlefield, overnight in NOLA
Sun 10/06 Day 3 USS Kidd, 10:00-12:00, 3 hours to Fort Gaines, AL, overnight in Daphne, AL
Mon 10/07 Day 4 Mobile Maritime Museum/USS Alabama, overnight in Daphne, AL
Tue 10/08 Day 5 Fort Morgan, possible half day at NAS Pensacola Naval Aviation museum or sightseeing in Mobile city, overnight in Daphne
Wed 10/09 Day 6 1 hour to Pensacola Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum, overnight in Daphne
Thu 10/10 Day 7 6 hours to Orlando, stuff TBD (*), overnight in Orlando
Fri 10/11 Day 8 Kennedy Space flight center 1 hour east of Orlando, overnight in Orlando
Sat 10/12 Day 9 Depart from Orlando (**)

For further consideration:

(*) For Day 7, an alternative to "stuff TBD" could be to spend the morning in the Naval Aviation Museum, then continue to Orlando. Another alternative would be to stop at Tallahassee to visit the Automobile Museum, or even spend a night there in order to visit the Natural Bridge Battlefield, extending the schedule by one day more.

(**) 10/14 is Columbus Day. It may be necessary to advance the whole schedule a couple of days in order to avoid events, or perhaps we could spent 10/12 at, for instance, St. Augustine (one of the few places in Samland where 300 years is not a long time :) ), then depart Sunday. At the castle they do a historic weapons demonstration Fri, Sat, Sun at 1030. The city is 2/3 hours away from Orlando.

I may choose to bookend this core part of the trip with a bit of Washington, although that complicates the flights, I missed the gun training visit for Reasons and missed out on all that.

I may choose to bookend this core part of the trip with a bit of Washington, although that complicates the flights, I missed the gun training visit for Reasons and missed out on all that.

Not really. Washington has more flights to different parts of Europe. Starting/ending in Washington, especially the later, could actually simplify the flights.

It shouldn't make it any harder, there are plenty of fairly inexpensive flights from Orlando to DC. There is even Amtrak service from Orlando, if you don't mind an overnight train ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to move the start back or forward a week? I just got a reminder that I have already booked plans for the 1st weekend in October. If we can move back a week then I would depart from Pensacola on the morning of Day 7 while the remainder of the group went on to Orlando. If we can't change then I would fly into Pensacola and link up on the afternoon of the Oct 7th.

No problem with moving the start date to October 10th but if we move it to Spetember 26th, I would not be able to tell if I can make it until the last moment.

If we can move back a week then I would depart from Pensacola on the morning of Day 7 while

I'm suddenly not sure what "moving back" means? 10th of October?

Edited by Markus Becker

Ok,'2019 I&I, Ausf.B' is scheduled to last from October 10th to October 22nd.

Back to Post #1, then.

I'm looking at driving down & linking up Sat AM for the WWII museum, then heading home Wed., after the NAVAIR museum.

As mentioned above, I'll have my Escape, so can haul three comfortably.

Ok,'2019 I&I, Ausf.B' is scheduled to last from October 10th to October 22nd.

Back to Post #1, then.

I'm looking at driving down & linking up Sat AM for the WWII museum, then heading home Wed., after the NAVAIR museum.

As mentioned above, I'll have my Escape, so can haul three comfortably.

Depending on numbers we can work with the escape and Allan's car and then rent one in Pensacola for the last part. Thankfully we won't face the luggage issues we ran into during the France I&I. I'm calling shotgun for one of the two vehicles.

Jami may come along for the NOLA portion of the trip and while she enjoys hanging out with tanknetters her tolerance for military themed museums is pretty low. So if she does decide to come down, we'll rent a car so she can go do touristy things on her own if she wants.