Ar-15 Carry Handle-Mounted Optics

I thought these had gone the way of the dodo, but evidently they're still being made (el cheapo Barska linked below). Brownell's has just come out with their version, which sold out pretty quickly. If I was to get one, it would probably be the Brownell's model.

Seeing as how these are mounted pretty high over the bore axis, is/was overall accuracy an issue?

https://www.barska.com/4x20mm-carry-...by-barska.html

• 4 weeks later...

they were better for picking up a target in a jungle environment than the issue open sights.

Today there are better solutions, but, hey, they look COOL!

;-)

Hermann

Any Trijicon ACOG can still be mounted to the M16 carry handle.

Accuracy is not really in issue, but the height over bore is obviously.

Google "Goose neck carry handle mount".

Ive looked into the goose neck mounts. They are best used with long eye-relief optics.

Back in the 90s, before flat-top uppers and removable carry handles became common, Colt offered an AR called the Delta Elite that featured a raised buttstock with a cutout for the charging handle to give a good cheek weld to use a scope on top of the carry handle. I wonder if there are any still floating around.

Edited by shep854

Step, many years ago, I used to bit Gun Digest every year. For many years, the Colt Sporter was the only AR available, then they offered a 16 inch barreled carbine with a retractable stock and then the Delta HBAR. The current plethora of options available must be >1000x what was around in 1986.

Step, many years ago, I used to bit Gun Digest every year. For many years, the Colt Sporter was the only AR available, then they offered a 16 inch barreled carbine with a retractable stock and then the Delta HBAR. The current plethora of options available must be >1000x what was around in 1986.

Truth! It seems that cutting off the carry handle and incorporating rails opened a floodgate. :)

----

Delta Elite H-Bar

H1193-L113886360.jpg

I think it was more the advent of affordable CNCs. The AR platform really lends itself to CNC production.

Why do you need a cheekweld with a parallax free reflex collimator?

I like to be consistent :) A few months back, you were the one criticising a police unit with G36ks with carry handle mounted optics for that reason. What is the difference with the AR15?

Truth! It seems that cutting off the carry handle and incorporating rails opened a floodgate. :)

----

Delta Elite H-Bar

H1193-L113886360.jpg

I think it was more the advent of affordable CNCs. The AR platform really lends itself to CNC production.

Israel used soemthing similar, but the cheek piece was modled into the buttstock. But that is still high and a bit awkward.