tanknet.org

I don't have a dog in this fight. As a young corpsman in 1980-82 I carried the .45. Fired it once.

For my home I have a Ruger .357 revolver. Used twice for non-practice use on rogue pit-bulls. One shot to the head each at about 10 feet. These are my only experiences with using pistols. I am just curious as to why militaries favor semi-autos? Would it be larger round capacity? The only reason why I chose the Ruger was, to me, a revolver is simpler, safer, and maybe easier to use.

Thoughts?

An auto-pistol was found to be more tolerant of abuse and rough handling than a revolver, whose lockwork is actually rather delicate. This presumes modern smokeless powder and regular maintenance.

Edited by shep854

The new pistol for the US. All the modern polymer pistols are good and better than the old steel ones, just in controls and sights alone. The M17 is the only general service pistol that i am aware of that can be easily fitted with a red dot sight if required. Red dots are not there yet for GD, but they will be eventually. The next version of General Duty gun will have built in lasers I suspect.

sig-sauer-m17-ms.jpg?itok=-P-dapvL&fc=50​

You can get optic ready slides fer yer Glock from Glock.

Yep, that was one of the program specs,so Glock built it into their offering. This also helped keep an M9 upgrade out of the running.

Edited by shep854