Multiple Issues With W10

JWB

Cut and paste almost doesn't work except when I don't want it to i.e. placing arrow between letters or words will turn some or all of text blue and sometimes delete. Some pages keep reloading. Double tabs when I click "open link in new tab". Same things happen in every browser except I.E.

I found a patch which fixes 95% of the issues with Windows 10: https://linuxmint.com/

No, I'm not joking. Unless forced to use it for work, I won't run Windows anymore. Windows 10 is a raging dumpster fire and best be abandoned by all users with haste.

You are using Windows 10. That is the problem right there. And it only gets worse with every patch. MacOS seems to actually work, but you are then wedded to hardware sold by Apple.

I have a Win7 install for when I need some Windows software (gaming mostly), otherwise I use various flavours of Linux. for some work related stuff one can try WINE to run it under Linux.

Yeah, for the first year after release I was willing to give Microsoft some leeway on Win10 quirks. At this point, its costing waaay too much to support. Bad enough when home/SOHO users struggle with Update Hell, but fer crissakes DOD is still having problems with updates BSODing systems.

I found a patch which fixes 95% of the issues with Windows 10: https://linuxmint.com/

No, I'm not joking. Unless forced to use it for work, I won't run Windows anymore. Windows 10 is a raging dumpster fire and best be abandoned by all users with haste.

Couple of questions:

How or what do I do with that link?

Will it replace the OS with linux/unix?

There is a reason that statistics say more than 40% of Desktop PC are still running Win7. Win8 sucks and Win10 even more.

Couple of questions:

How or what do I do with that link?

Will it replace the OS with linux/unix?

click on the link and yes it leads to the website to downlad an image of Linux Mint. The fresh and minty Linux. Of course it will either replace or install alongside other operating systems. To keep using a software for work that is only avaiable for windows you can either use WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator, a software layer that emulates the Windows APIs and runs many Windows programmes on Linux) or install a virtual machine and install WinXP in it to run the windows software.

for some installation help there is this video:

or this one ^_^

just to try out Linux Mint you can boot from a DVD or USB-stick without altering anything on your computer. (maybe you have to switch on booting from USB or DVD)

My ultimate question is how well does Mint work with printers. I use a Brother mfc 8810 dw. I searched around the webz trying to find out if the two will cooperate and got no real answer.

And yet I have a 5 year old pc that came with 7, was updated to 8.1 for free and now runs 10 without flaws.

There was one hiccup - W10 didn't like the onboard ethernet chip but allowed a wireless connection. I used that to manually update that device driver and have had no issues since.

W10 seems fine to me.

• 2 months later...

So I had an odd issue with Win10 on my home desktop a couple of days ago. I decided to do a clean install over Memorial Day weekend, and was looking at Win10 news. The latest version is 1809, but it turns out my system is still at 1803. Yet my laptop is at 1809.

And 1903 comes out next month. The buzz is that 1809 didn't go over well, so Microsoft decided to just have stragglers like me wait until 1903 is pushed out for the general population.

All too often it seems like MS is using the Project Manager of the Month management technique.

My ultimate question is how well does Mint work with printers. I use a Brother mfc 8810 dw. I searched around the webz trying to find out if the two will cooperate and got no real answer.

Works great on my HP printer scanner. Installed without any pain.

So I had an odd issue with Win10 on my home desktop a couple of days ago. I decided to do a clean install over Memorial Day weekend, and was looking at Win10 news. The latest version is 1809, but it turns out my system is still at 1803. Yet my laptop is at 1809.

And 1903 comes out next month. The buzz is that 1809 didn't go over well, so Microsoft decided to just have stragglers like me wait until 1903 is pushed out for the general population.

All too often it seems like MS is using the Project Manager of the Month management technique.

Yeah,I agree.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe since about all I do with my Win10 laptop is surfing and email, I don't have much of a problem; for me the biggest problem I have is slowness at times, and that could simply be that I need a computer tune-up. Maybe one of the Gulf Coast I&I attendees will be better versed in computer upkeep, and can pass along some tips.

I DID dump Firefox and go back to Chrome, which seems to have sped things up a bit, AND made a bunch of bookmarks available to me again.

I still get the 'Red Screen of Danger' when I open Tanknet, though.

Edited by shep854

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe since about all I do with my Win10 laptop is surfing and email, I don't have much of a problem; for me the biggest problem I have is slowness at times, and that could simply be that I need a computer tune-up. Maybe one of the Gulf Coast I&I attendees will be better versed in computer upkeep, and can pass along some tips.

I DID dump Firefox and go back to Chrome, which seems to have sped things up a bit, AND made a bunch of bookmarks available to me again.

I still get the 'Red Screen of Danger' when I open Tanknet, though.

somwhere in the advanced options of chrome you should be able to switch off the nanny list that warns you of bad sites.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe so, but what we really need is for it to warn of bad sites and leave tanknet alone.

It might be bad, but it's not a phishing site or full of malware.

Maybe they have the hump because it doesn't have Google Ads enabled?

What issues do you have? I've run windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 and haven't really had any big problems at all. Oh, and my employer thinks I'm too critical about MS so I doubt I would fall into the fanboy category, just saying.

I didn't really see the big issues many had with 8 and 8.1 either.

Actually, one thing that bothered me a couple of times is that my work laptop rebooted to go through updates without me accepting it a couple of times which made me lose some work.

And don't get me wrong, I won't say there aren't any issues, I'm curious what problems you've run in to.

/R

What issues do you have? I've run windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 and haven't really had any big problems at all. Oh, and my employer thinks I'm too critical about MS so I doubt I would fall into the fanboy category, just saying.

Actually, one thing that bothered me a couple of times is that my work laptop rebooted to go through updates without me accepting it a couple of times which made me lose some work.

And don't get me wrong, I won't say there aren't any issues, I'm curious what problems you've run in to.

/R

Problems seem to be gone now.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1903

I always assumed TankNet was getting flagged because half of the time, following an external link to a TankNet discussion causes this page to come up:

.. but maybe those are unrelated issues? Guess it depends on whether the nannyware's crawlers are getting that page when they build their database of "bad" sites.

/R

Problems seem to be gone now.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1903

I understood your problem JWB, was more curious about the rest. Never seen that issue you were having though, it would have annoyed the crap out of me. Copy-paste is quite a big part of my work day...

/R

• 2 months later...

My employer has provided me and my coworkers with laptops, with the stipulation that they must run Windows 10.

I figured, why not? All I would ever use it for was running Teams (also required), so it can just sit on my desk and run Teams. I could just ignore it most of the time, right? Right?

Wrong. It requires more fiddling to keep working than all of my other 20'ish computers put together.

Windows:

... forgets how to connect to the network (fixed by rebooting),

... sometimes reboots itself,

... closes Teams for no reason,

... pops up annoying windows about nonsensical things, occluding Teams until I click on them,

... forgets that I've disabled the trackpad,

... and today, told the battery to stop charging.

I just use it to run Teams. That's all it needs to do. YOU HAD ONE JOB, WINDOWS! ONE!

Teams is a POS. I kind of like the general idea, but the implementation is horrible. Have to use it as well as configure it for new users, setup 200+ Dell laptops with it over the last month. Never seen another program that steals focus as often, or pops up annoying crap as often.

I guess I just prefer the Unix/Linux way of doing things, multiple small programs that each do one thing well, rather than the monolithic garbage that MS and Windows/OS X devs put out.

I concur that Teams is annoying and poorly implemented, but it makes sense "on paper" to management, here.

We used to use IRC for work-chat, Skype for video conferencing, and Samba fileshares for file-sharing.

Then we switched to Hipchat for work-chat, which was annoying but offered nifty integrations with the Atlassian toolchain (JIRA, BitBucket, Confluence), which people adored.

Now Hipchat is going to go away, and supposedly Skype will go away too, so we need to migrate to something, and we're under pressure to eliminate our "rogue" fileshares.

Teams provides chat, video conferencing, filesharing and limited Atlassian integration. It also seems unlikely to disappear any time soon. Also, management likes the idea of desktop sharing for collaboration.

I would have preferred to stick with IRC and write our own integrations (which we're doing anyway for Teams, since so far we can only get the JIRA integration to work) and telling the company to stick it in their ear wrt the fileshares, but have no idea what to recommend for video conferencing.

So I guess I get to grin and bear it, at least until there's a Linux Teams client which supports all of the features management expects.