tanknet.org

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, pratchett seems to be cursed in TV/movie adaptation sense, but gaiman´s american gods s1 was excellent, so combining this i´m moderately optimistic

american gods was probably the reason amazon picked this up. Wasn't an adaption of Anansi Boys planned as well?

cursed pratchett adaptions? Going postal and the colurs of magic were pretty good imho within the limits of televison.

"The Umbrella Academy"

At first I thought I had had my dose of super-persons, but this is - if not great - at least many levels better than...

..."Nightflyers".

Apparently "Expanse" has been dropped, and this is the new sci-fi from Syfy. I managed first episode with effort, but no, this appears to be a mess not worth watching.

Netflix' "Losers".

Absolutely wonderful feelgood-series about more or lesser known sportspersons.

First three episodes are about boxer Michael Bentt, football-team Torquay United and skater Surya Bonaly.

I really can't get enough of this one. Must see.

This is damn good:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7016936

Killing Eve

Eve is a bored, whip-smart security services operative whose desk-bound job doesn't fulfill her fantasies of being a spy. Villanelle, is a talented killer who clings to the luxuries her violent job affords her. These two fierce women, equally obsessed with each other, will go head to head in an epic game of cat and mouse, toppling the typical spy-action thriller.

Yeah, I think we have touched on it before. Its brillant. I think it loses a little lustre in the last episode, but in fairness they were setting it up for series II which I can forgive them for.

Did anyone feel just a LITTLE attack of dejavu when she killed someone with a poisoned perfume bottle? :D

Yeah, I think we have touched on it before. Its brillant. I think it loses a little lustre in the last episode, but in fairness they were setting it up for series II which I can forgive them for.

Did anyone feel just a LITTLE attack of dejavu when she killed someone with a poisoned perfume bottle? :D

Aye.

Season II should come out this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep.

Book 8 was just released, I'm probably going to start it this week. :)

While I don't dislike the actress playing Bobbie Draper, I still think she was miscast. There must be actresses from Fiji or Samoa who most certainly would have been a better fit, or maybe Gwendoline Christie if noone else. Other than that, it's about as good as one could have hoped for. What I like is not only the high production value, but that it's a well-designed complementary creation. I often wished there would be "more detail, less action" in the books rather than the tantalizing hints that they thought about so much more background than they actually write about. Much of that is shown in scene background and minor CGI effects, like the cooking pots with their displays of recipes and current temperature; behold, the high-tech homeless people of the future.

I started watching season 2 of American Gods, but somehow it did not click with me yet. I cannot point to what bothers me in this season, as it pretty much continues where first season ended. :unsure:

nonetheless cool tweet from Neil Gaiman:

LrRUzcp.jpg

Edited by Panzermann

I started watching season 2 of American Gods, but somehow it did not click with me yet. I cannot point to what bothers me in this season, as it pretty much continues where first season ended. :unsure:

nonetheless cool tweet from Neil Gaiman:

LrRUzcp.jpg

Its a bit scattered and incoherent.

Book 8 was good, read it in one sitting.

It was pretty good, but I'm wondering where we're going with this (Book 9--the finale will be published later this year) because...

They're really dragging out this whole Protomolecule enemy subplot, and the whole Laconia angle--especially Duarte in how he was built up, then out of nowhere knocked out by the blink that wiped out the slow zone--was a bit disappointing in this book. It's not that I want Laconia to "win" as much as they weren't given any momentum in the book to do anything truly evil or anything to truly dislike them apart from being told they're the bad guys and our band of heroes not liking them. Also the "siege" of Laconia was dumb and the fact that the orbital structures were destroyed was equally dumb.

One of my pet peeves with The Expanse series is that there's so much churning in terms of who's the bad guy of the week over the course of the novels that you never get to really dislike any of them... except for the Free Navy who dropped the rocks on Earth. First there were the mustache-twirling corporations who got the Protomolecule saga started, then Earth, Mars, and the Belt hated each other and tried to kill each other a bit, then there was the Free Navy against the Inner Planets, then there was Laconia popping up to take over everything by barely firing a shot... who's now fairly neutered, and all this time there's the whole Protomolecule killers who come and go as a threat. All of these threats come and go so quickly that you don't care, and it's obvious that apart from Laconia, there's never any time for them to build up their power base like they would have to in the real world.

Started watching this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endeavour_(TV_series) This is a prequel to the various Inspector Morse books and series which I haven't read or watched so I'm probably missing a lot of fan service moments, but it doesn't really detract from the shows. It seems to have a good sense of time and place and so far, but I'm only 3 episodes into season 1.

Do any of you have HBO Now on your Hulu account? Happy with it?

I am going to try the 1 week free trial to catch S8E1 of GOT Sunday night, but am unsure if its worth the extra monthly fee. I would like to watch WestWorld and maybe a few other series, but I hate wasting time and money.

I just ran speedtest.net and got 28 down, I used to get bursting up over 100 but of late its been slower.

And I should have known better. The Orville on Hulu has become 24/7 SJW. Depending on the main story, I'm bailing out of episodes after about 10 minutes.

OTOH, there are some very creative and entertaining shows from the streaming companies.