Dcs F-14

rmgill

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, ive got this on preorder. Seems to be taking a perishingly long time coming down the pipe though.

One of the guys whom has got it on early access claims they have even modeled roll reversal when inverted at high angles of attack. Which basically means any dogfighting has to be coordinated by appropriate rudder inputs. Time to invest in rudder pedals if people dont have them.

"One of the guys whom has got it on early access claims they have even modeled roll reversal when inverted at high angles of attack. Which basically means any dogfighting has to be coordinated by appropriate rudder inputs. Time to invest in rudder pedals if people dont have them."

Yeah, that's in the video I posted about at 9:00.

"Watch the ground!....Tell Meg I lover her!"

Edited by rmgill

The first version to be released will be the F14B, which is insanely powerful. They are planning on introducing the F14A (including an Iranian version) with all kinds of good stuff like compressor stalls, and an inability to recover from spins. Talk to me Goose!

Its probably worth downloading the NATOPs F14B manual. Yes, it is that complicated. I actually found the corresponding NATOPs manual reasonably useful for flying the AV8B.

One other thing worth mentioning, If I understand correctly there is bundled with the game some MP3 music you can plan on the in cockpit walkman (which I gather you can do with the Viggen I believe). This is 1980's tribute music by a group called Meteor, and its really actually pretty good. It wouldnt be out of place in any 1980's drama.

One other thing worth mentioning, If I understand correctly there is bundled with the game some MP3 music you can plan on the in cockpit walkman (which I gather you can do with the Viggen I believe). This is 1980's tribute music by a group called Meteor, and its really actually pretty good. It wouldnt be out of place in any 1980's drama.

I looked them up on Amazon Prime music when the original Heatblur F-14 reveal video came out and to my surprise there are several groups like this. If you liked Meteor, check out Gunship, FM-84, The Midnight, Timecop1983, Scandroid, Lazerhawk, and Gost. Most have stuff on YouTube if you don't have Amazon Prime. Be warned though; my 80s nostalgia sense may have overridden my taste. :)

Edit: checkout this Gunship video for sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1ZN8c4_Gs. A dogfight between an anime Bf109 and a Spitfire...

Edited by Calvinb1nav

Thanks, thats not bad.

The video is actually a short animation called 'Paths of Hate', which is a pretty good piece of work. The artist actually had a webpage up showing all the work he did on the 3d modelling, and it actually compared fairly favorably to the DCS Spitfire and 109.

As for Meteor, Im sure Ill listen to it because I like 80's style music. But im sure ill leaven out the walkman collection with a few Glen Miller hits as well. Thats the only thing I dislike about the spitfire, no bally walkman. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thats very good.

There was a group that has done criminally little called Nouvelle Phenomene, which also has a distinct 80's vibe. They kind of remind me of a mashup between some OMD (particularly Souvenir) and some of the music in Michael Mann's 'Manhunter'.

Oh, and they are French and hawt, which is also nice.

Nouvelle Phénomène sings in French, but they are not French. The band's members are from Budapest.

Currently, I am learning the AJS-37, the previous plane by the F-14 developer Heatblur. It really surprised me, the avionics are very impressive, considering that the AJ-37 (S denotes the later software upgrade) entered service in 1972 and was developed by tiny Sweden.

Edited by Daan

Nouvelle Phénomène sings in French, but they are not French. The band's members are from Budapest.

Currently, I am learning the AJS-37, the previous plane by the F-14 developer Heatblur. It really surprised me, the avionics are very impressive, considering that the AJ-37 (S denotes the later software upgrade) entered service in 1972 and was developed by tiny Sweden.

Thanks for that, I could find frustratingly little about them on the internet. They only seem to have had one album out, which is inconceivable to me. They are just too damn good.

Ive not got the Viggen, but Ill probably get it on a sale sometime. Thus far ive got the,

AV8B. Which is possibly the most fun ive had in a sim, completely violating the rules of aerodynamics. Its easy to learn, in fact turning it on is a doddle. Mastering it takes much longer, and im still far from it.

Mig21. Still being developed, still bugged, but still one of the most impressive simulations of an Eastern Bloc fighter aircraft ive seen.

Flaming Cliffs's. But I only fly the Mig29 and the F15 regularly, which imho are the best on the pack. The Mig29 is fun to fly online, but its lack of decent BVR capability is a real downer at times. If you can get wvr, you are going to win most times.

Spitfire. Still the best flight model of a spitfire ive flown

ME109. Still dont think they make the take offs and landings tricky enough, but a hell of a lot of fun.

Mustang. Fun. Dont like it as a much as a spitfire, but its a lot more solid for dive attacks, and the rockets are hilarious.

L29. A useful trainer for getting used to Soviet avionics.

Huey. Because, its a huey. And about the best helicopter sim ive ever flown. Of all the modules, its done the most to make me a better virtual pilot. If you arent any good, you buy the farm every damn time you take off. :)

Mi8. I like less because it flies like a london bus with a rotorhead on it. OTOH, the amount of weaponry you can hang on it is obscene, and the campaign for it is very interesting indeed (based on the Georgian campaign).

Of all of them, the best for me is the AV8B, with possible the spitfire and Mig21 in level pegging in second place. In fact, if there a single DCS module id encourage everyone to buy, its the AV8B. Its just brilliant in every where, particularly when used in a freeware campaign some guy set in the nellis range.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

Over time I acquired most of the modern aircraft, mostly during sales. As I do not have too much time, I have only tried a few and played some enjoyable campaigns. So far, no multiplayer experience.

- The Mirage 2000C. My 1st DCS aircraft (after the Ka-50 years back) and surely the prettiest thing in the DCS universe. An evolutionary design from the earlier French deltas and their late 70s / early 80s take on 'modern' avionics, combined with old features like the archaic Dassault system of closing the canopy. The developer Razbam has close contacts with the FAF and has promised a big update for 2019. It is still in beta and the hydraulic system has not been modeled. The training missions weave seamlessly into the introductory campaign in Georgia, which was made by Baltic Dragon. The Red Flag campaign by the same author is very atmospheric. Of course, the Mirage is not competitive with more modern aircraft, especially in BVR. In the campaigns you have to fight against F-14s and, at one time, you are jumped on by a pair of MiG-31s, which was quite hair raising, as these aircraft out range your little Mirage by far. (Got a guns kill on a F-14 :-)).

- F-5E. Fun simple aircraft with a really quick start-up and a well-laid out cockpit. Analog flight controls so it requires lots of trimming, otherwise easy to learn and fly. Only very basic TACAN navigation. Though small, the plane can carry a lot of A-G ordnance, but has no method of aimed delivery other than manually dialing in the gun sight and flying according to strict parameters.The paid BFM and AFM campaigns are repetitive and really hard. The brief user made Cordovia campaign was interesting, especially the final mission.

- MiG-15bis. Thoroughly modeled aircraft, including all hydraulics and subsystems. Old Soviet style of cockpit design with circuit breakers everywhere and a bizarre positioning of the radio receiver and transmitter, behind the pilot's seat. The navigation equipment is basic and provides no more than a bearing to a radio beacon, but the system is interesting to operate nonetheless. Its armament is powerful, but also quite pathetic with very low muzzle velocity for both the 23 and 37 mm cannon, just a handful of shells and its primitive gunsight (shared by the L-39) can only be configured for the 23 mm cannon and blocks your forward vision. The plane was designed as a high altitude bomber interceptor and therefore climbs fast, but is a rather poor dogfighter and has poor range without external fuel tanks. The MiG is utterly unable to take any damage, generally with the engine flaming out soon afterwards. The completely fictional Museum Relic campaign is relatively OK, but after two attempts I still have not been able to pass the final long mission. The upside is that the aircraft is easy to learn and fly, so you can fly the campaign or MP without much prior investment.

- L-39. Underpowered Soviet lead in jet trainer with a cockpit filled to the brink with circuit breakers. Technologically on par with the MiG-15bis, except for its more modern navigation suit, though without INS. The paid Kursant campaign is hard, but a few days ago I managed to pass mission 1 after the previous six failures or so made me scream at my PC. The weapon controls panel on the armed L-39AZ variant is overly complicated.

- AJS-37 Viggen, ground and ship attack version. I only started with this aircraft a few days ago. The plane has a cockpit and avionics design philosophy radically different from that of American and Soviet aircraft, but it works surprisingly well. Supposedly the most advanced aircraft in Europe prior to the introduction of the Tornado, it is easy to see why. Contrary to contemporary aircraft such as the MiG-21bis/23BN/27, SU-17, F-4 or F-5E it is able to deliver dumb ordnance with a surprising degree of accuracy. Moreover, several guided and 'smart' weapons are available. Great sounds. I have not tried the campaigns yet.

Flying the MiG-15bis and L-39C in DCS really made me doubt the theory propagated by The Guardian that a Belgian mercenary pilot shot down the DC-6 carrying UN secretary general Dag Hammarskjöld in 1961 whilst flying an even more primitive Fouga Magister from a rough airstrip 200 km away in total darkness. No INS/GPS, no radio beacon, no ground radar, no radar on the plane and then supposedly using a jury rigged 'cannon' and search lights.

Edited by Daan

I really must get the Mig15, though I must admit im holding out for a long rumour Mig17, which is more my bag.

I did get the Mirage on a sale, but ive yet to really fly it to the degree it warrants. It handles nice, dont really like the Semi Active missile though. Seems very sub-sparrow.

Definitely subpar compared to the AIM-7M and R-27 as modeled in the game. The Mirage's radar is also easy to notch. This makes the Red Flag campaign an interesting experience.

With the R-530D you will have to wait for optimal launch conditions (TIR in HUD) before pressing the trigger.

In addition, the Magic II is inferior to the AIM-9M given its much shorter range.

I also found it a more complicated cockpit layout. I think I said before I couldnt get my head around the INS system, but equally having to use so many switches to get the weapons system to work was also despiriting. Ill probably try again with it someday, but its not as easy to get into and boot up as say, the AV8B is. Even the Mig21 is easier. All that said, a nice flyer, and comparatively easy to land.