2019 Obituary

Stargrunt6

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Rutger Hauer has died on the July 19th. Thanks bojan for reminding me with your music video post.

The Rutger Hauer Starfish Association announces with infinite sadness that after a very short illness, on Friday, July 19, 2019, Rutger passed away peacefully at his Dutch home.

He leaves his beloved wife Ineke, after they have been together for fifty years.

We at Starfish will always cherish the many unforgettable memories we have of Rutger and his dedication to the Rutger Hauer Starfish Association.

One of Rutger’s last wishes was that Starfish should continue its charity activity and its fight against the AIDS disease, and with Ineke’s precious help, involvement and direction we will follow Rutger’s wish and will do our best to carry on Rutger’s inestimable legacy.

http://rutgerhauer.org/

"I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die." His improvised speech from Blade Runner. Although his candle burnt for quite some time longer than his role as Nexus 6 replicant.

Blind Fury needs more love.

True. As do Soldier of Orange, Blood of Heroes or Hobo with a Shotgun. And so many other films he played in. Sometimes real trash, others high artsy drama.

IMDB lists a handful of films wiht him to be released later this year. One is a chinese-russian production of a story by Gogol with charles Dance and Arnold Schwarzenegger? :huh:

It is still quite good. Some 6-7 years ago some friends and I did "nostalgy cinematography" - movies we really liked as a teenagers, but did not watch them for at least 15 years.

Ladyhawke was one of the few that stood a test of time.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he was a rather better actor than Jane. There was nothing she did that really impressed me very much.

I was amused to see that about 13 years ago he did a voice over for a character in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. He basically played an aging hippy, who participated in the summer of love but was so stoned out of his head he could barely remember it. Very funny, and you could tell he was having an absolute blast doing it. The same game had voice overs from James Woods and Samuel L Jackson, all of whom were great in it.

So long Easy Rider.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

That was his dad Henry, who has been dead for 37 years. Funnily I thought it was about the latter when I first saw the news, too, and was surprised that Peter was actually younger than his sister Jane. Shows in which different ways actors stick in your mind.

He played a pretty good villain in Open Season and Crazy Larry, Dirty Mary. So he shared that particular talent with his old man.

I guess the best credit you can make about him is he made unpromising, schlocky films, good ones. Which was probably par for the course through much of the 70's Hollywood output.

• 2 weeks later...