Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

DKTanker

Maybe you guys take in uncomfortable thoughts from your preferred source.

https://youtu.be/XptovfGo1Xo?t=205

Auch ein blindes Huhn findet mal ein Korn

"Even a blind hen finds a grain of corn once in a while."

Even with your eyes closed, when you fire a shotgun at a large enough target, some of the buckshot might hit. ;)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah like I recall the early 70s Rhodesian war 'coverage' was rife with wishful thinking & sheer flights of fancy.

So the news coming out of South Africa now?

Which part? The turning the tables on whites? Or the bit where the Zulu's are siding with the whites because the Xhosa are trying to fuck them too?

Yeah like I recall the early 70s Rhodesian war 'coverage' was rife with wishful thinking & sheer flights of fancy.

So the news coming out of South Africa now?

Fruitily enough I cared about Rhodesia back then...less concerned now.

Less than 10% of the population watches tv news of any type and while I haven't looked for numbers, I'd be surprised if the number of people who read a news paper every day is much bigger. If you are interested in politics it's easy to forget that most people aren't.

And why not, much of what's circulated as news is a loony sound bite followed up by reactions to it, followed up by reactions to the reactions. Once in a while there is a topic that actually matters in the sense that it will have a tangible effect on people's lives, but 90% of "politics" is empty, self-centered blathering.

The polls I saw had a low approval rating, a somewhat higher disapproval rating and a large share of voters not deciding on either. All of this is to be expected.

approval rating: she's from the progressive wing of the party, and the moderate/corporate/centrist wing doesn't necessarily give her a favourable rating. This doesn't mean tey wouldn't prefer her over a Republican. I have not seen a poll pitching her against a generic Republican yet.

disapproval rating: The right wing propaganda machine quickly vilified her, so the Fox News/Breitbart kind of audience already gives her a solid disapproval rating.

undecided: Well, why wouldn't one be undecided? She's been in the job for about two months only. Anyone who wants to give a favourable rating only based on achievements instead of based on speeches or proposals will hold back with a decision.

that is hard to believe

What? That a lot of folks still don't know who she is?

That holds true for almost all politicians below the level of President. So what exactly is your point?

Murph mentioned how AOC was now unpopular. I was simply countering that when upwards of 40% of poll respondents don't even know who she is that the takeaway from that poll is somewhat limited.

Skywalkre,

Cortez is on every media all the time

how could people not know who she is at this point?

As others have mentioned there's a plethora of reasons explaining why it's understandable so many Americans still don't know who she is or don't know enough to comment.

Keep in mind TN is a collection of mostly Conservative individuals who make a point to follow the news. That's not necessarily indicative that all Conservatives make such an effort. This poll claims that 23% of Republicans don't know enough to comment on AOC. Is that surprising?

To me the numbers make sense. Even if AOC is plastered all over the news a lot of Americans, even a lot of Conservatives, won't pay any attention. They're all busy looking up their entertainment, sports, celeb-gossip, etc. news that they fill their lives with (if they bother to even look up anything news related from their Netflix breaks). As time goes on I imagine that number will shrink, and especially if she one day runs for POTUS they'll all have an opinion. We're just not there yet. (And, the point in all of this, is that if you look at that one poll linked above the majority of folks who don't have an opinion of her yet are the ones more likely to have a favorable one of her. Once everyone finds out about her I imagine her approval rate would go up, though not necessarily above 50%.)

Edited by Skywalkre

Is it, or maybe it is a street-smart filter to blend out stuff that has little or no impact on their lives?

Much of what's going on in politics is empty attention-grabbing that is of interest only to other politicians, and those who made political commentary their business. One could of course argue that the lack of public attention weakens the fabric of institutional resilience against stupid or dangerous politicians. But you could just as well complain about the weather, it's part of human nature. As long as the political field poses no existential threat to the average citizen it's largely irrelevant what mean things someone in DC said about someone else in DC.

AOC presents her Green New Deal. So what, if you're worried about the bad grades of your kid in school, or if you can make enough money to may next month's rent? AOCs GND gets defeated 57-nil in the senate. This is even more inconsequential, so why bother with it? Attention spent on this Kabuki theater is attention not spent on solving the more existential problems that the average citizen might have. Being attentive to sports is an enabler for conversation in US society. Tell your co-workers that you aren't interested in sports (or only in the European soccer league) and your social standing will immediately drop a few points. If you want to blend in, and for many that's very important, you're better off watching sports than Tucker Carlson ripping on AOC.

I'm not saying that no attention should be spent at all, just that a lot of what's passed as "breaking news" is useless drivel that doesn't deserve our attention. And then there are cases that are important, but to identify them you need to take in all the useless drivel as well. Everyday politics has a very unfavorable signal to noise ratio.

Murph mentioned how AOC was now unpopular. I was simply countering that when upwards of 40% of poll respondents don't even know who she is that the takeaway from that poll is somewhat limited.

In other words, no point. Had the same poll been taken about almost any other politician I dare say you would get the same % of ignorance, perhaps even higher.

Thanks for trolling by.

that is hard to believe

What? That a lot of folks still don't know who she is?

That holds true for almost all politicians below the level of President. So what exactly is your point?

That is exactly his point.