Stellaris

Murph

It's so depressing to me that the best space 4x games are still MOO2 (the original, not the abomination by WG) and Ascendancy. :(

It's so depressing to me that the best space 4x games are still MOO2 (the original, not the abomination by WG) and Ascendancy. :(

I'm still playing a lot of MoO2 in dosbox, It was either $9.99 or $19.99 on Gog when I got it, and I enjoy it as much as I did 20 years ago. I've bought a lot of later 4x games on Steam, but none of them keep my interest.

I'm still playing a lot of MoO2 in dosbox, It was either $9.99 or $19.99 on Gog when I got it, and I enjoy it as much as I did 20 years ago. I've bought a lot of later 4x games on Steam, but none of them keep my interest.

I got MOO2 off of GOG years ago. The problem is I've played it for so long I have the game figured out. I was starting and finishing entire playthroughs during breaks while raiding in a single night back in WoW.

Hence my frustration that with all the 4x titles since it first came out none have come close. Hell, if there was a way to simply add some randomness to the tech tree and effectiveness of various weapons/planet developments you'd add a lot of replayability to the title as you'd have to learn every game what works this time and what doesn't.

• 5 months later...

Steam had this as a F2P weekend game not too long ago. Downloaded it and got a few hours in without noticing any major issues. Certainly was triggering the 'just one more turn' (yes, I know, it's real time...) of a good game. It was also on sale for just $10 so I figured I'd grab it.

Finally sat down yesterday to keep playing. Went back to the save from that weekend and got to the 6h mark before I had to call it quits because I had no bloody idea what was going on. (I wasn't dead... just had completely lost track of everything happening at that point.)

I had the tutorial mode turned on and needless to say they tell you next to nothing. On top of that the UI is, per most Paradox games, overly cluttered and not as helpful as it can be. From perusing the web trying to find a decent breakdown of how things work it turns out the game had a massive patch recently and the devs may not have updated the tutorial prompts to accurately reflect all the changes. :huh:

I'm still interested about going back and figuring it out (after I do a LOT of reading on the web about mechanics), but... seriously... what's with Paradox seemingly making games that are difficult to use and complex simply for the sake of being difficult to use and complex? That doesn't make something deep... it often just makes it annoying. :glare:

Edited by Skywalkre