.410 Revolvers. Why?

OK, I know the first answer I get will be "Because this is America, and we can!", but what is the real idea behind .410 revolvers like the Taurus Judge and what would you use one for? Why would it be better than a conventional handgun in any role?

I get the snake bit, but cant you just shoot those with shotshells out of a normal handgun? You're going to be pretty close to the snake so centrifugal dispersal wouldn't be an issue. Better still, just leave the snake alone.

A friend has one; I believe it also shoots .45 Long Colt in addition to .410 shotgun ammo.

Yes, they are actually chambered in .45 Long Colt. But the chamber is longer so they can fire .410 as well, and of course the barrel is rifled so legally it’s a pistol in the USA.

I’m not from the USA, or a lawyer but as I understand it this was a way to get a short shotgun that wasn’t legally a short barrel shot gun at the time as a work around the NFA. Now it has been found that if you build a ‘shotgun’ on a receiver that has never had a stock attached to it and it is concealable then it is an any other weapon (AOW) and only requires a $5 tax stamp as opposed to a short barrel shot gun that requires a $200 tax stamp.

Because the creativity of people getting around silly laws is endless.

For #9 shot, .410 offers 0.5-0.75 oz of pellets, versus about 0.35 oz for a .45 Colt shotshell from CCI.

Still, I'd rather have a conventional .44 Mag or .45 Colt revolver than a big, heavy specialty handgun. If I am going into known snake area looking to eliminate snakes, I'd bring a real scattergun and throw 3/4 oz of shot at it with a better pattern.

As for leaving the snake alone, depends on the species. Non-venomous, no problem. Most rattlesnakes, yeah live and let live. A-hole species like cottonmouths, if its on my land and likely to present repeated risk, I'd just as soon eliminate the threat. And of course try to figure out why the snake moved there in the first place.

I get the snake bit, but cant you just shoot those with shotshells out of a normal handgun? You're going to be pretty close to the snake so centrifugal dispersal wouldn't be an issue. Better still, just leave the snake alone.

As I understand it pistol shotshlls have a tiny amount of shot compared to a .410 shotgun cartridge. Also I understand the rifling isn’t very deep so it doesn’t affect the shot much. So I guess it could be compared with saying why do you need to use a 12 gauge for duck shooting when a .410 will do the job.

But really I think Ivanhoe is right nearly all of them are going to end up as range toy. Which is cool, that’s what most of mine are, and legally that is the only place I can shot some of them.

Best gun channel on Youtube and here he talks about the Judge (1 of 3 part series).

He has far and away the best presentation style of any gun channel presenter I have seen. Very informative and funny. Best of all, he can project himself as an expert without coming across as a total dick.

AND, if memory serves, he's not very impressed with the thing himself.

For this niche, I have a Taurus 445, a .44Special revolver for which there is a pretty good shot load. It's also much more compact.

Edited by shep854

Hi...

Personally I see no practical use for revolvers such as the Judge.

I carry a handgun pretty regularly and much prefer a standard JHP or LSWC for self defense or hunting.

I typically carry a 1911 in .45ACP but when hiking or hunting with a handgun generally carry a revolver chambered in .41Magnum,.45Colt, .44Spl or.44Magnum. I do on very rare occasions carry a S&W 1917 in .45AutoRim.

The only time I carry a .357Magnum handgun is when I am hunting groundhogs with a revolver.

I have nearly 50 years experience shooting, carrying and hunting with handguns and have not yet found any need for a handgun such as a Judge.

Hi...

I carry a handgun pretty regularly and much prefer a standard JHP or LSWC for self defense or hunting.

I typically carry a 1911 in .45ACP but when hiking or hunting with a handgun generally carry a revolver chambered in .41Magnum,.45Colt, .44Spl or.44Magnum. I do on very rare occasions carry a S&W 1917 in .45AutoRim.

The only time I carry a .357Magnum handgun is when I am hunting groundhogs with a revolver.

I have nearly 50 years experience shooting, carrying and hunting with handguns and have not yet found any need for a handgun such as a Judge.

+1

My mountain/desert carry gun a S&W Model 625-5 .45 Colt with a good cast RCBS 270 Keith SWC. I also have a box of Speer shot capsules and some #9 shot around here somewhere if I wanted make a snake load.

Other option is a S&W Model 329 PD in .44 Mag, but although great gun for carry, it is not any fun to shoot even with .44 Spc loads.

In a howdah pistol.

Not sure how that would fit with Canadian laws. AIUI you have to be someone who has to be in the wilderness in an employment/commercial capacity (trapper for example) to get the necessary paperwork for a pistol.

He has far and away the best presentation style of any gun channel presenter I have seen. Very informative and funny. Best of all, he can project himself as an expert without coming across as a total dick.

I like the guy in Forgotten Weapons, he also have a neutral/humble presentation style.

Hi...

+1

My mountain/desert carry gun a S&W Model 625-5 .45 Colt with a good cast RCBS 270 Keith SWC. I also have a box of Speer shot capsules and some #9 shot around here somewhere if I wanted make a snake load.

Other option is a S&W Model 329 PD in .44 Mag, but although great gun for carry, it is not any fun to shoot even with .44 Spc loads.

Hi...

It has been many years since I have shot any thing more than an occasional factory load out of any of my handguns except .22LR/Mag and 9mm.

I have never fired a shot load out of a handgun. I have shot one or two copperheads around the house with my handloaded LSWCs with excellent terminal results.

I be imagine some aftermarket grips might ameliorate the recoil of your revolver.

I shoot a lot of rounds of near book maximum reloads in all of my handguns and actually enjoy the recoil impulse.

I mostly own full size autoloaders and revolvers which helps to minimize recoil but I shoot a lot so it's possible that I am simply more experienced.

About the smallest revolvers I shoot are a K frame sized Taurus .44Spl and a Cimarron Mason/Richards .38Spl conversion. The Cimarron is easy to control with full power .38Spl rounds...the Taurus is a bit of a handful when shooting 240gr LSWC with 7.5grs of Unique. That same load is very controllable in my Lipsey's flat top Ruger BlackHawk .44Spl and actually kind of tame when loaded in .44Magnum cases for my various .44Mag revolvers.