2020 Demolition Derby

shep854

Had a Subaru Forester for 3 years, went back to a pickup truck because I needed more carrying capacity. Was doing utility construction at the time, that thing was 'off road' a lot.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not yours. Subaru Outbacks are (were) the "lesbomobiles".

https://priceonomics.com/how-an-ad-campaign-made-lesbians-fall-in-love-with/

The marketers found that lesbian Subaru owners liked that the cars were good for outdoor trips, and that they were good for hauling stuff without being as large as a truck or SUV. (In a line some women may not like as much, marketers also said Subaru’s dependability was a good fit for lesbians since they didn’t have a man who could fix car problems.)

:D

you are all pretty pathetic when it comes to cars...

now, granted I like cars and have a bit of an obsession:

1966 Ford Thunderbird 428 aluminum headed, nitrous injected big block with all the fixins de-turned just enough for street duty with Race Gas brand additive. Must have racing fuel for track day usage (heater controls need repair, parts hard to find. Dash cracked this year-only flaw in interior)

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Collectors Edition (really nice w/ Ferrari red-gold color shift paint) 290hp modular V8 187K miles, no tears in seats. ready for a new IRS which I already have, maybe new brakes next year?

1998 Mark VIII LSC Collector's Edition (ready for paint, mechanically sound, good interior)

1990 Lincoln Mark VII 5.0L HO. 195K miles, runs good, interior good except driver's seat shows wear. Ready for valve cover gaskets

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L HO T-Top car was super nice a few years ago, it's ready for a freshening up as it has been bumped three times since a full restoration

Wife's stuff:

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L HO Convertible

1968 F250 Truck (column shifted!)

2004 and 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokees (4.0L)

1942 GMC CCKW 352

no Prius or Subaru. No concerns for fuel economy. Can shred tires if needed. GMC can haul ANYTHING that the F250 can't. It's all old enough that none of it "Big Brothers" and it is all easy to work on

I'd like to have a Fiat 500 Abarth but it isn't in the budget at this time, maybe buy a wreck and fix it up... Most everything I own was rough when I got it, some were full on basket cases!

I'll also admit to having a soft spot for the new GMC Sierras but they are crazy money, even wrecked!

All of you that have a tiny little car that DON'T live in a big city need to go out and get a big RWD V8 and enjoy a little time on the road. A 5.0 l Coyote Mustang is recommended...

Heh. My F150 is bigger than any job I've ever even contemplated (Except for passenger capacity). I drive a Prius as my daily commuter because it is so much cheaper to operate than the F150 (and will fit into parking garages at or near customer sites that the F150 won't).

I've actually managed to use the M35A2 to near capacity. Moving several loads of gravel. A load of 12' long siding was also a good use of a bed that is 12' long. The Home Depot folks were slightly incredulous that I had enough truck for the pallet of siding at the pickup counter...until I pulled my truck up to the loading bay.

I'm sort of over the tank thing right now. I'm back on cars for a bit.

Sunday,

Jeremy Clarkson says the same thing about US "land barges" but the truth is that I can't drive across my country in a long afternoon. We gotta have some legroom here. And then there is the issue of looks, the Prius and the Nissan Leaf are just awful in appearance. What's wrong with (if you car about it) fuel economy in a package that doesn't look like something from a lady's hat collection?

After a few tri[ps across the country even James May was a fan of Cadillac CTS

I can't figure how to post any pictures but you can easily search for images of the cars listed above. They've got style, something a lot of newer cars lack

I'm sort of over the tank thing right now. I'm back on cars for a bit.

Sunday,

Jeremy Clarkson says the same thing about US "land barges" but the truth is that I can't drive across my country in a long afternoon. We gotta have some legroom here. And then there is the issue of looks, the Prius and the Nissan Leaf are just awful in appearance. What's wrong with (if you car about it) fuel economy in a package that doesn't look like something from a lady's hat collection?

After a few tri[ps across the country even James May was a fan of Cadillac CTS

I can't figure how to post any pictures but you can easily search for images of the cars listed above. They've got style, something a lot of newer cars lack

Tim, I was only pulling your leg. I drive a 2001 Nissan Primera, a car that was also sold there as the Infiniti G20. It has legroom, but fuel mileage sucks. Suspension is pretty good, however.

There is some evidence to suggest that Tesla may be the largest selling *car* manufacturer in the US.

Quite why everyone in the US seems to think that they need a "truck" is beyond me.

Quite why everyone in the US seems to think that they need a "truck" is beyond me.

Because trucks are handy as hell to have. Trying being the person in your circle who owns one, and see how often friends and family come to you because they need the use of your truck.

Because trucks are handy as hell to have. Trying being the person in your circle who owns one, and see how often friends and family come to you because they need the use of your truck.

I could make a tidy sum simply renting out my truck these days. Certainly more than the maintenance costs. I have had friends put more miles on it in the last couple of years (since I bought the Prius) than I have. When I need to haul stuff from Home Depot/Lowes/etc or move big things (like a server rack or two), it is the vehicle of choice of myself and most of my circle of friends. Plus, it's paid for and then some.

I can't imagine not having access to a truck.

What do you do when you need a sheet of plywood if you don't have a truck?

I hauled 20,000 lbs of gravel in the CCKW a few summers ago.

What I'd really like to have is a 458 Italia but if I sold everything I own including the house I couldn't do it. Maybe a GT40 kit car before I die?

Mercedes and BMW just don't do it for me, too refined and soul-less. You've got to have some rattle to go with the rumble

I can't imagine not having access to a truck.

What do you do when you need a sheet of plywood if you don't have a truck?

I hauled 20,000 lbs of gravel in the CCKW a few summers ago.

What I'd really like to have is a 458 Italia but if I sold everything I own including the house I couldn't do it. Maybe a GT40 kit car before I die?

Mercedes and BMW just don't do it for me, too refined and soul-less. You've got to have some rattle to go with the rumble

I should say that this is one of the few Fords I find interesting:

Edited by sunday

The bed on that "truck" is too short. It's an SUV with an open trunk. What's the point of a truck without a full size bed (at least 6 feet long, preferably 8 feet to fit those 8 foot by 4 foot sheets of plywood)?

Had a Subaru Forester for 3 years, went back to a pickup truck because I needed more carrying capacity. Was doing utility construction at the time, that thing was 'off road' a lot.

I just bought a 2018 and I love it. Roads are icy and I'm one of the few that shows up to work.

The bed on that "truck" is too short. It's an SUV with an open trunk. What's the point of a truck without a full size bed (at least 6 feet long, preferably 8 feet to fit those 8 foot by 4 foot sheets of plywood)?

The utility of the bed is limited, but when you add a locking bedcover, its a safe® place to store sports gear, muddy boots, etc.

Plus, its gotta help pull some country babes!

I currently own a Subaru Outback -- is a totally fine modern-day station wagon, not that much fun to drive but quite roomy and well-made.

I previously owned two VW diesel wagons in succession, a 2008 and a 2015. Frickin' great cars -- lots of low-end grunt, handled quite well, amazing mileage, all that stuff. The most frustrating part about Diesel-Gate is that the improvements VW was required to make didn't really affect performance that much.

You are the fifth TNetter Subaru owner that I know.

Most popular car brand in this grate sight. I find that amazing, especially considering that there should not be so many Lesbians around here.

If I'm not on the list already, add me, Outback.

Sixth!

Have driven them for almost 20 years now. About a month after I bought my first one, I walked out of a store, looked at my new car and said out loud "my god, I own a station wagon". Needed something that could hold my chocolate lab, drove well and had 4 wheel drive, my Chevy S10 Blazer had finally met its end after 11 years. The Outback checked all the boxes.

Almost bought an Outback when I got my VW, but it was just too sluggish for what I wanted. My VW gasser doesn't have the low-end torque to blast away from the line, but it still has a decent amount of acceleration. Trying to get the fiancee to get an Outback for her next car (ETA whenever) but she doesn't want a wagon; she'd rather a crossover which is the exact same thing as an Outback nowadays.

I'm not a car guy. Driving is a chore that I mostly avoid and having a car is just a necessary inconvenience. My Forrester has awd drive and handles snow fine, hauls what I need to haul and has been mechanically sound over the twelve years I've had it.

Which reminds me of the classic bumper sticker "Yes, this my truck. No, I will not help you move!"