2020 Demolition Derby

shep854

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't a "Demolition Derby" one of the favourite pasttimes of those "deplorables"?

This one could well be an All Comers party. The Dems are doing a fair job of own-goaling themselves. Moderates won elections, but the wack-left is pulling hard...

Isn't a "Demolition Derby" one of the favourite pasttimes of those "deplorables"?

This one could well be an All Comers party. The Dems are doing a fair job of own-goaling themselves. Moderates won elections, but the wack-left is pulling hard...

yes it very much looks like it. Instead of strategically dumping Clinton after the election and looking for a candidate that could pull people in like Sanders did in his primaries run. But that would have been reasonable and strategically sound. Instead they are still looking for russian phantoms and double down.

Really Trumps reelection campaign only needs a few ISO connexes full of fresh MAGA hats to give away and the rest does the Dem campaign for him. :wacko:

HRC needs to watch Kamala Harris. She has a lot of the right boxes checked...

On the Right, I heard a whisper about Flake trying to pull the Never-Trumpers together.

Edited by shep854

After HRC kneecaps Beto he'll be lucky if he gets a Cabinet Post above ground... He isn't winning the Primary, she is.

It is definitely possible she will attempt to run, but there's no way she'd win a primary. She barely scraped it out when it was Bernie. No one would vote for her now. She was only popular with women over 50.

Technically speaking, she already beat him in the popular vote by a couple percentage points, so it would hardly be surprising if she could beat him now. The midterms point to centerists and moderates running to the exists.

That said I don't know of a single democrat leaning voter who go with her in a primary. Or Pelosi as House Speaker for that matter.

That said I don't know of a single democrat leaning voter who go with her in a primary. Or Pelosi as House Speaker for that matter.

A little thing like a primary voters didn't stand in her way last time, just ask Bernie.

You will vote for who the party tells you to vote for.

The loss of Ohio to the Republicans IS likely seen as a major problem for the Democrats.

It is non trivial for the Dems if that is a permanent change the electoral map. But in 2020 it seems the fact that Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania swung away from the GOP in their elections is more immediate problem for the GOP.

Unfortunately Pelosi will be speaker. I had hoped she would be prevented from returning to that role, but she seems to have deftly bought off her opposition and there isn't a clear successor for anyone to rally around. That will cost the Dems in future elections.

GMs announcement probably has little to do with Dems taking the house and everything to do with their sales slumping, particularly for non SUV vehicles. Ford made similar cuts well before the election I believe; certainly they were expected going back to September. Most companies don't react to one party or the other winning an election until that change actually tangibly affects their business (which in the case of major corporation rarely happens).

As for the 97.8 percent of the media, Fox News I believe still has the highest viewership, so I suspect the conservative media voice is a little larger than 2.3%.

Spent this Thanksgiving at my uncle-in-law's in Chicago, and his father was there, a former CIA field analyst and current behind-the-scenes bigwig for the Montana Democratic Party. He's a Bernie bot (He stands firmly in the general Social Democrat side of European parties) and we had a really interesting conversation about government, Trump, and the Democratic party. He was bemoaning the shifts to the extremes for both parties, and how the Democrats don't have party discipline like the GOP, as seen in the attempted coup of Pelosi last week. He doesn't like how the Democrats appeal to their interest groups and in Montana, he's always pushed for more grassroots/broad-based support for issues because as he sees it, it's the only real way to get things done.

We also talked about why people vote for certain candidates, and he bemoaned how people vote for speaking skills over ability to govern. I brought up Obama and he laughed and said that he was just the DNC's Trump--good for a soundbite for the base or a feel-good legislation that looked like he did something, but in the end he wasn't very good at leading or governing. He also said how he didn't like how Obama was campaigning for candidates because he thinks that ex-Presidents should hide on a ranch out West and write memoirs until they die. :)

Interesting, the concepts of party discipline; I would not have called the Republicans disciplined, given the bitterness of the last two years. Maybe they were just able to keep it to a less-critical time, like before the mid-terms got serious, when they were not quite as UN-disciplined as the Dems.