Posible I & I? Ox Ranch, Texas

shep854

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I think we need to get the dates and start/finish locations sorted, to allow flight planning.

I have no hard linits on dates, nor do I know when during the week/season it is best/cheapest to fly Transatlantic

Assume a 6 day road trip, starting at NO, ending at TBC Florida, commencing 5/6 October?

I may bookend this by flying in to Washington and doing the museums either before or after and using internal connecting flights.

I think we need to get the dates and start/finish locations sorted, to allow flight planning.

I have no hard linits on dates, nor do I know when during the week/season it is best/cheapest to fly Transatlantic

Assume a 6 day road trip, starting at NO, ending at TBC Florida, commencing 5/6 October?

I may bookend this by flying in to Washington and doing the museums either before or after and using internal connecting flights.

Google Flights has a feature that allows to see the prices in a given date interval. Usually Tuesday to Thursday is cheapest.

Currently, the schedule stands as this:

Fri 10/04 Day 0 Arrive New Orleans
Sat 10/05 Day 1 WW2 Museum and Battle of New Orleans Battlefield, overnight in Baton Rouge
Sun 10/06 Day 2 USS Kidd, 10:00-12:00 3 hours to Mobile overnight Mobile
Mon 10/07 Day 3 USS Alabama 9-1, Fort Morgan 1-4 overnight in Mobile
Tue 10/08 Day 4 1 hour to Pensacola Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum 9-? 6 hours to Orlando
Wed 10/09 Day 5 Kennedy Space flight center 1 hour east of Orlando
Thu 10/10 Day 6 Depart from Orlando

I wonder if we could arrive a day earlier to have more time to visit NOLA, and if we could scrounge a whole full day in Pensacola to visit the Naval Aviation Museum.

Edited by sunday

Monday and Tuesday look good for me; I can crash with a cousin Monday night.

I'll see about a Sunday evening linkup in Mobile, two nights at cousin's.

Edited by shep854

I suggest that if we add a day in NOLA, that we skip the overnight in Baton Rouge, Baton Rouge is only a about a 90 minute drive from NOLA and could be done as a day trip. If possible, If would like to add Fort Gaines to the itinerary. If we left direct from NOLA, it could be combined with Fort Morgan as there is a ferry across Mobile Bay from Fort Gaines to Fort Morgan.

That would make it easier to add time at the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola.

So arrival in NOLA Thursday for a full day on Friday?

The USS Alabama site has more than just the BB, IIRC. I assume we're flexible on timings.

A 6 hour drive from Pcola to Orlando is going to be fun...

So arrival in NOLA Thursday for a full day on Friday?

The USS Alabama site has more than just the BB, IIRC. I assume we're flexible on timings.

A 6 hour drive from Pcola to Orlando is going to be fun...

It's mostly dual carriage motorway with no tolls so it won't be a bad drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting I & I itinerary. Will see if I can make it too. Its been a while for me, since the Seattle I & I. Was at Pensacola Naval Air Museum in Dec last year. Its not a few hour visit, I had to come back the next day, there was that much to see. Not a problem to enter Pensacola NAS if you are not a Son of Sam, they just give you a one day security pass at the gate once you show your passport to the guards. Also Kermit Week's Fantasy of Flight outside Orlando is well worth a visit. I have to agree with Alan and say its tough to visit the whole day at Pensacola and then drive 6 hrs to orlando. Plus you got to eat at Brothers BBQ outside Pensacola NAS. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Nothing like planes and BBQ. Just my 2 cents

Don't forget Drum at Battleship Park. And there are a number of AFVs scattered around. Not to mention a maritime museum in Mobile proper.

Edited by shep854