Knm Helge Ingstad Collision

lastdingo

Coast artillery under the navy: Japan, France, Italy, Netherlands. Denmark, Norway, Finland, Bulgaria (although under Navy command), Greece, ...

Coast artillery under the army: USA, Belgian, Spain, ...

Coast artillery under both the army and the navy: Britian [1], Germany [2], USSR [3], ...

[1] Army and British Marines (MNBDO)

[2] Navy was mostly port/harbor defence. The army had a lot more of it, and they also did port/harbor defence.

[3] Mostly navy. Some army.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coast artillery under the navy: Japan, France, Italy, Netherlands. Denmark, Norway, Finland, Bulgaria (although under Navy command), Greece, ...

Coast artillery under the army: USA, Belgian, Spain, ...

Coast artillery under both the army and the navy: Britian [1], Germany [2], USSR [3], ...

[1] Army and British Marines (MNBDO)

[2] Navy was mostly port/harbor defence. The army had a lot more of it, and they also did port/harbor defence.

[3] Mostly navy. Some army.

All British Coast Artillery was Army post WW2.

She clearly flooded out. Imagine how much electrical wire, electronic equipment and components are going to have to be replaced. Then bear in mind she is going to be suffering from corrosion by the time they get her out. When you tot up how much it will cost to fit her back out, they may as well write it off.

There was that Type 42 we had that ended up on rocks off Australia, and they refitted here. The obvious difference was she didnt actually sink, and it was politically necessary to demonstrate it wasnt a loss by putting it back in service. I dont believe the same circumstances exist here.

I could be wrong, im just detecting here there isnt enough money to go around for the forces Norway has. Regenerating a wrecked ship to me looks like a non starter.

Improved Google translation of Norwegian news report.

KNM Helge Ingstad received several clear warnings from the tanker before the accident

The frigate KNM Helge Ingstad received clear warnings from the tanker Sola TS over the radio before the crash right into the front of the tanker. This is shown by the audio log that [newspaper] VG has received.

Per Annar Holm
Eirik Husøy
NTB

VG has published an audio log of the radio contact between the ships.

Fedje VTS is the Coastal Administration's watch center, which is responsible for the ships in the heavily trafficked fjord.

Three minutes before it strikes, the pilot on board the Sola TS asks the watch center which ship this is coming into the fjord.

Ten seconds later they answer:

"No, it's one, eh. I have not received any information about it. It has not reported to me. I just see it appear on the screen here," says Fedje VTS over ship radio.

Frigate came in at 17 knots

Radar images show that KNM Helge Ingstad goes south with 17 knots of speed, which equals 31.6 kilometers per hour. It had no deck lighting on, so it was hard to see, and it has features that make it difficult to detect on radar.

At the same time, Sola TS is coming up northwards at six knots.

The two ships are now on a collision course.

Fedje VTS to Sola TS:

"It is possible that it is Helge Ingstad. She came in from the north a while ago. It is possible that she is going there."

VG has informed the Armed Forces that they have sound logs and radar images from the accident. They do not want to comment on this.

"There will be a collision here."

So - one minute before the collision becomes fact - the tanker and warship have radio contact:

Without being sure if it's the frigate that comes against them, Sola TS asks if Helge Ingstad is coming towards them.

The warship confirms this five seconds later.

In the time that follows, the tanker asks the frigate repeatedly to change the course to starboard.

The answer from the frigate is: "Then we get too close to the shoals."

"Turn starboard if it's you coming. So you have ... ", Sola TS replies among other things.

Later, the tanker gives the following message: "Helge Ingstad! Turn!", before saying three seconds later:

"There will be a collision here."

The contact with Helge Ingstad will be sporadic after this, and with a lot of sound from the frigate's alarms. "We have given the alarm. Trying to get control of the situation", they say to the watch center, according to VG.

Although KNM Helge Ingstad before the collision had several radio exchanges with Sola TS, the frigate reports that they have collided with an unknown object and are adrift.

Then they ask for immediate assistance.

[...]

https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/i/zLKL15/KNM-Helge-Ingstad-fikk-flere-klare-advarsler-fra-tankskipet-for-ulykken

Disconcerting radio calls to get: "Helge Ingstad, there's bright light from your engine room."

Edited by BansheeOne

Might be, however she clearly has lost necessary buoyancy to stay afloat. So there is a LOTS of water inside the ship in any case.

USS Cole cost $250 million to repair and her electronics were mostly undamaged.

To be fair 600 is rather a lot. You then "discovered" a metric shedload of artillery pieces in service with your naval service - not sure how that happened :)

Hey, have you seen the map of southern Finnish coastline? There is LOTS of it to defend!

Right now, its tipped completely over on its srarbord side with a huge gash in it. I don't think securing compartments would have been much help even if they could be secured. I would say the radars, sonars, EW, and combat managements systems are quite non - serviceable by now.

Might be, however she clearly has lost necessary buoyancy to stay afloat. So there is a LOTS of water inside the ship in any case.

USS Cole cost $250 million to repair and her electronics were mostly undamaged.

American shipyards ripping off their nation isn't relevant to a Norwegian frigate that would certainly not be towed across the Atlantic for repair.

@Stuart; keep in mind many compartments under the water surface may still be completely dry.

Engine room probably isnt though. Thats probably a major cost issue right there.

If they can get her up tomrorow, yeah, im more optimistic they can do something with it. Its probably going to take a lot longer than that though.

They can salvage the antennas, likely most missiles and maybe a few compartments are dry and allow recovery of some more spare parts.

It's a shame.

The radio logs that I saw were all translations, but they display a stubbornness and idiocy that should rock their entire navy.

They can salvage the antennas, likely most missiles and maybe a few compartments are dry and allow recovery of some more spare parts.

It's a shame.

The radio logs that I saw were all translations, but they display a stubbornness and idiocy that should rock their entire navy.

Especially given their country's seafaring culture and history.

----

Had she not been beached, she would almost certainly have turned turtle.

It is the second frigate we have lost since the end of the cold war (KNM Oslo to grounding and sinking in 1994) btw, so two out of ten frigates in service since 1990 have been lost to accidents. That has to be a european "record".

A norwegian company called Boa Managment will conduct the salvage, it will be transfered to a semi-submerged barge (just like USS Cole), but oil and weaponry will be removed from the ship first though. The barge will then transport it to the nearby Haakonsvern naval station.

If Norway has a similar approach to weapon system safety that the UK does, then unless there is actually a war on, I suspect that everything with a hint of a tide mark will be junked.

"Drenched missiles to be relied on to protect Brave Sailors".