Submarines?

DB

BBs will likely have no counter to them meaning even more ineffective long range fire from way in back.

Edit: After watching more of that vid I heard the bit where WG is stating the CV rework is coming... next year. WG makes glaciers look fast with how quickly they address broken game mechanics. :blink:

Edited by Skywalkre

Aren't there still cruisers in the game (and some BBs) supposedly balanced around strong AAA components that are thus weaker when they never see CVs? Ugh... the whole thing is a mess. They really never should have put CVs in the game.

CVs are cancer at the moment. When they show, they're often in division with an AA cruiser. The capability difference between an experienced CV handler and a novice is so wide that experienced CV players see 10%+ win margins over other users.There's no secret to the top win rates by tier - it's usually dominated by good CV players.

Did they make changes to AAA effectiveness? I thought at tiers 8+ that AAA was so good it shredded planes with ease. My understanding was even the best CV players couldn't counter that.

Did they make changes to AAA effectiveness? I thought at tiers 8+ that AAA was so good it shredded planes with ease. My understanding was even the best CV players couldn't counter that.

Not too many people play dedicated AA builds. I assume the guys who team with CVs do since they have a guaranteed carrier battle. I've done a fair amount of plane shredding with my non-AA spec'd Cleveland, but generally CV players typically avoid US cruisers until the end game and it can be difficult to provide AA support to a player you don't have voice coms with. I find DD hunting to be a better use of my time. US cruisers are among the best AA ships, but they aren't terrible at dealing damage to surface ships if you play them correctly.

With the increasing prevalence of BB HE spam, due to the OP British BB HE and a lot of stupid, ships AA effectiveness drops rapidly during a game, which makes everything more vulnerable. the competent CV player (maybe 1 in 100?) can sink anything if he sets his mind to do it and is willing to lose squadrons.

However, a CV player who is typical and isn't high tier has a horrible time.

The proposed new CV game mechanic is completely different. Whether it's better or worse is a discussion that's going to run and run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Well they are doing it https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/198143-dev-blog-subs-are-here/

ST, submarines.

Back in 2018 many of you have participated in the operation called 'Terror of the Deep'. This event allowed everyone to try a new class in our game — submarines. By the end of the event, it became clear that our players are highly interested in submarines and we should be engaged in full development.

And now, we are happy to announce that the first stages of closed testing will begin shortly, where the new gameplay of submarines will be tested. The American and German submarines will be the pioneers of the new class.

After the SuperTest submarines will be available for players to try on a special server, before being added to the main game client. Once introduced, the new class will initially be available in a special separate battle type only and this final configuration stage will last for several months. This will allow us to make additional changes to the new class under the conditions of the live server.

We will be sharing more details with you shortly. Follow our official game channels for more news!

One consolation is that they won't be mandatory any time soon. Hopefully my subscription will expire before they are. I won't say I'm leaving because of submarines, but I'm already down to less than 6 matches a week so they will make the uninstall more likely.

I'm assuming they have satisfied themselves that adding them will be revenue positive. On the dev facebook post about it there were a surprisingly large number of positive comments about the addition. I doubt they will be my cup of tea but I'm not exactly the target market these days.

Interesting, would have preferred mines, which would work as stationary torpedoes lasting a certain amount and fairly visible. More an area denial weapon.

They fixed minefields years ago with the Dunkirk Scenario, but gave no way to lay them or sweep them.

I think that active mine laying would work well with a 20 minute game.

• 9 months later...

I have to say that the Submarine event has been very well done, the battle mode is pretty good, although it takes a lot to master a sub and deal out the damage. I would only say once a DD gets on top of you, your pretty much done, sitting still at depth should provide a bit more cover. BB players driving directly into a subs firing range and pretending they are DD is a bit of a problem, but that's player based and not WG issue.