4K Vs Blu-Ray Dvd

Murph

I haven't really noticed a big difference at least between a blu-ray being upconverted on a 4K player and a 4K DVD. As an aside, I don't notice any difference between 4K and a movie theater (of course they have a much better sound system...).

4K might pay off if your screen is super-large and/or you're really close to it.

Eventually it'll supplant Full HD, but I see no benefit in adopting early.

4K might pay off if your screen is super-large and/or you're really close to it.

Eventually it'll supplant Full HD, but I see no benefit in adopting early.

Oh yes. Lack of content to watch. most HD TV is not even FullHD for example. So better look for good colour presentation, good even lighting in a screen etc. and a well produced FullHD BluRay will be fine.

I can't really tell the difference, but I am old so that might be an issue. Lupe won a 4k TV at church in a raffle, and I purchased a 4k DVD after our last one went Tango-Uniform, but I really can't see the difference between blu-ray and 4k at this point. I purchased two 4k with a gift card at Best Buy, and meh seems to be my opinion so far.

Well, you can't beat physics. The human retina has a certain resolution limit, and as soon as the pixel size on the screen shrinks below that threshold - whether it is because of distance, or because the pixels themselves are becoming smaller, there is simply no way to tell the difference. So the question really is whether the individual pixel subtends an angle which your eye can still resolve. For a given size - say, a 50" monitor - there's a distance at which a 2K picture (Full HD) approximates the resolution of the fovea, typically at about 3...4m distance. With twice the resolution you can halve the distance , but who sits less than just two meters away from a 50" screen?

(Kids on a Sunday morning maybe but they will watch just anything, even grainy black & white.)

Okay, there's one possible advantage associated with 4K that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's HDR. This gives a higher dynamic range in luminosity and to that extent, if done right, can be a substantial improvement.

Also, you may benefit from the occasional still picture if, for example, there's fine detail to be seen. Like in The Predator Schwarzenegger's tactical map in one scene (plus, the BluRay version of Predator was made horrific with too much digital smoothing everywhere). 4K allows you to recognize analog film grain.

However, not every 4K movie actually IS 4K, a substantial fraction of the films offered are upscaled FullHD material. You still might get the benefit of HDR though.