Recovered Warbirds Thread

On 5/12/2024 at 7:40 PM, Tim Sielbeck said:

Nice to see a restoration but, that skin looks blurry rough.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think its going to need reskinning before it ever flies. Personally, I think the aircraft is rare enough they shouldnt even try.

This was interesting, I was only dimly aware of the continued existence of this one.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196864/boeing-b-17d-the-swoose/

4 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Yeah, I think its going to need reskinning before it ever flies. Personally, I think the aircraft is rare enough they shouldnt even try.

This was interesting, I was only dimly aware of the continued existence of this one.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196864/boeing-b-17d-the-swoose/

I believe this was Gen. MacArthur's personal transport.

Edited by shep854

Yes, apparently LBJ flew on it when he was a Lieutenant commander as well. Quite an historic aircraft. There cant be many B17's that could claim to have been shot up by the japanese and survived into preservation.

I may be off base but, if you are spending money on doing a job, should you not do it right first time?  Agreed, rare enough not to be flown under any circumstances which is why I have many times posited the building of composite replica's to do the actual flying.

3d printing should enable more diversity in engine types and numbers while making rarer parts more easily obtainable.

Yes, reality check is needed but nice to dream.  How many engineering apprentices would benefit from real world projects like this while building their skill levels.

2 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

That reminds me, the Westland Whirlwind replica has just had an update. I REALLY am looking forward to seeing this one finished.

So sad that no original Whirlwinds survived. Such a cool aircraft! 

The engine put paid to it imho.  Development incomplete and shifted to Merlin.  Good in most ways but arguably the aircraft 'soul' survived into a newer airframe with Merlins.  The Welkin HAF project

Similar 'handed# engines as the DH Hornet.

I sed to get the little comics and one of the first showcased the Whirlwind and I remember being overwhelmed at how 'right' it looked.

9 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

That reminds me, the Westland Whirlwind replica has just had an update. I REALLY am looking forward to seeing this one finished.

It looks more like a racer than a fighter.

• 3 weeks later...

And... taken down

Nope.

What it is about?

Sounds like you may have a region problem. Do you have a VPN?

Its about a Pathfinder Lancaster that was brough down in the netherlands, specifically the IJsselmeer in 1943. All 7 crew were killed, and 4 were recovered. The remnants of the lancaster were identified, and the Dutch launched a successful effort to go and recover the remains of the remaining 3. Along with at least one remarkably well preserved merlin engine.

Here is a new article about it from last year. Hell of an impressive salvage project actually.

https://www.forces.net/heritage/wwii/chance-closure-after-lancaster-and-crew-recovered-after-80-years

Not a region issue, I just get "video is just unavailable" screen embedded to TN, like you get it when video gets deleted from YT. Tried it with different locations with VPN, still the same.

Thanks for a link.