tanknet.org

More Chieftain's Hatchiness

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Manic Moran said:

Yeah, I zoomed through that. As you can imagine, the Troubles were not a priority for a 9 year old, barely a disquieting background.

The more I know about alternative viewpoints, the less I know. The presentation of news back then, clouded by my fallible memories of events, makes every "fact" I do recall suspect. In more general terms, at times I feel betrayed by the history teaching I received in school because it was both parochial and without any hint of uncertainty if you see what I mean.

15 hours ago, Manic Moran said:

Reminds me of another incident reported in 'Try not to Laugh Sargent Major'. An Army patrol caught some IRA suspect's, and were busy patting themselves on the back, when a Garda Officer came up and pointed out to them they had arrested them inside Eire. Some unpleasant words were exchanged, an SLR was put up someones nose, whereupon the patrol ran back across the border with the suspects in tow.

I suppose the lesson is, there is a time to respect lawful authority, and time not....

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Markus Becker said:
Today Nick has not released a new tank video. ;) 

A rather efficient-looking little vehicle.  However, given that the fuel and engine are INSIDE the crew compartment, I wouldn't give the crew much chance in the event of a fire.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, Markus Becker said:
Today Nick has not released a new tank video. ;) 

Oh! That's Mirislovs collection! I think. 

Jim, my buddy in PA has been involved in helping him. He's a Polish businessman who met some of our re-enactor buddies at an event who were doing polish. Mirislov is Polish  by ancestry. When he discovered all this he started throwing money at building a collection. Lance, our other partner in the Humber project has a Cromwell he's having restored from an Avenger. That will likely be at Mirislovs place with, I think the Cromwell that Mirislov is supposedly having worked up too. 

Edited by rmgill
22 hours ago, rmgill said:

Oh! That's Mirislovs collection! I think. 

Jim, my buddy in PA has been involved in helping him. He's a Polish businessman who met some of our re-enactor buddies at an event who were doing polish. Mirislov is Polish  by ancestry. When he discovered all this he started throwing money at building a collection. Lance, our other partner in the Humber project has a Cromwell he's having restored from an Avenger. That will likely be at Mirislovs place with, I think the Cromwell that Mirislov is supposedly having worked up too. 

Yep, that's the one. Not just by ancestry, he still has the accent.

I haven't met him face to face. I have corresponded when he was looking at a Dingo to buy. I'm pretty sure it was my buddy Chris Petronis who does Polish WWII (He has a Bren carrier) who set the hook on Polish WWII Armor at an event in PA (Ike's Farm I think). Initially it sounded like....passing interest then it was clear that Mirislov was building a nice collection. I'm really pleased to see the collection is as big as it is and that you guys gave it some visibility. Great video as always!

How do you guys figure which places to go? At some point we'll probably be able to get you in Lance's Cromwell (running, not just sitting static) when it gets stateside, assuming he doesn't flip it for $$$$

Edited by rmgill

Well, this was a personal trip, not a WG trip, so there's no 'guys' involved in this case. 

First problem is 'cost'. I had to be in PA anyway, so the additional cost of the day's car rental and hotel was more incidental than the cost of a major trip. Normally, if I'm going travelling somewhere, I need to 'bundle' it with a bunch of things, be it a bunch of vehicles in one place, or some other activities while I'm there. Unless it's a really, really, interesting vehicle (Which will get lots and lots of hits on Youtube to make it financially viable), I'm not going to go there for just one or two. And it should be mentioned that Youtube revenue alone is rarely sufficient to cover the cost. Fortunately Patreon covers the majority of the gap. It's slightly less of an issue with WG-funded videos, as they can also pay filming access fees which some places charge, but then it's still got to be reasonable. There are places which charge thousands a day, basically Hollywood rates, which, being responsible with the company's money, I avoid.

Then it's got to be one of the better condition vehicles of its type that I can access. The Rock Island ones were an exception because that was a paid gig. I don't want to do a poor version of a 76mm Sherman just because it's cheap, I'm going to wait until an excellent condition one is easily accessible. "accessible" doesn't only mean affordable to get to, it also means 'can do things with it' such as 'I get to drive them' or 'they get to roll around', something like that.

The next problem is weather/timing. Most tank collections are in large sheds with tin roofs. Make a lot of noise when it rains. It's also a lot easier for me to be mobile with the camera gear when I'm not freezing my ass off because it's Michigan in January and there's no heater. So, it's got to be affordable, good quality, and accessible by way of timing, environment, etc.

Oh, and I now have a list of four or five musea, all outside of the US, which I would love to get to, but am prohibited from traveling to because of COVID restrictions.

As far as the actual subject matter, I take them as they come. I won't necessarily prioritise a Churchill over a CV-33 because the former is more famous or interesting, I actually like the minority ones.

Well, I happen to know some folks who have certain vehicles you can see probably get access to. In the Virginia/Arlington area there's a Dingo that I know the owner would love to show off. Street legal and I'm sure you can go for a spin. Probably the cleanest restoration of a Dingo anywhere in the world. It would of course depart from your usual format. The same guy what owns the Dingo in Arlington rebuilt our WS19 so that's the active intercom system on our Humber. 

Our Humber is in Lansdale, PA, that's North West of Philly.