Just played two maps on the weekend test of the Alpha. Very similar to Squad, unsurprisingly, but with a WW2 skin on top of it. Some little bugs here and there, I had the 98K eject two cases at once for instance on some occasions. The ground textures on my PC look different from that in the videos, but I have an old system, though I have the graphic settings on high and its runs smoothly. Quite enjoyable, just like Squad.

Edited by Daan

Yeah, my friend pete has been monitoring it and suggests that its like WW2 Online, but that they have picked a smaller environment, it means they can concentrate on getting it right. It certainly looks as if they have had a damn good punt in that direction.

Whats the multiplayer like Daan? Im kinda hobbled with 0.9mps at the moment, do you think that is going to be remotely sufficient?

I have never played WW2 Online in the past, so I cannot compare. Given the smaller map sizes (which are still quite large though), the planes can only be called in as support by the squad leader. Multiplayer can be quite nice, but, as with Squad, a lot depends on your team mates and especially your squad leader. A bad team or squad means getting killed a lot and the progressive loss of objectives, frustration, anger etc. and a lot of players leaving the game.

With respect to latency with 0.9 MBps from a location in the UK, I do not know what ping will result. I have a cheap internet contract with a steady 5.1-5.3 MBps which gives nice pings depending on server location, 25 to max 80 ms with my PC in the Netherlands (I don't join servers with higher pings). You are advised to ask this question on the game's Steam forum, or for a good comparison, the Squad forum.

Edited by Daan

A bad team or squad means getting killed a lot and the progressive loss of objectives, frustration, anger etc. and a lot of players leaving the game.

This coupled to what you mentioned above makes me think I'll be passing on this title. For those with the time and patience it sounds like it'll be fun but I simply don't have either anymore to devote to a game to get max enjoyment out of it.

I hope it isn't as difficult as Squad. Maybe I'm getting too old to play FPS games anymore but I got thrashed hard every time I tried to play Squad and I ended up un-installing it.

I hope it isn't as difficult as Squad. Maybe I'm getting too old to play FPS games anymore but I got thrashed hard every time I tried to play Squad and I ended up un-installing it.

It is very similar to Squad, in fact it is a WW2 modification of this game. The weekend test showed me that the player base is exactly the same as that of Squad, I recognized many players and clans from Squad. It is not only a FPS, but also a bit of a thinker's or organizer's game if you like to play the squad leader. Playing this when you are tired, will leave you frustrated. In the first Post Scriptum game I joined playing as a German rifleman, I ended up in a bad team: no coordination between squad leaders, silly piecemeal attacks over open ground, no covering fire, no vehicle support; so we got trashed badly and repeatedly until the map switched. On the other hand, if you in a good squad and team, it can be glorious with the whole team working together as a machine.

Edited by Daan

A friend of mine has been looking at this, how does the Tank combat compare? For example, in the video I saw, the range indexing didnt seem to be implimented, have they included that now?

Im just idly wondering if a Tanknet Tank Platoon might be viable here...

It is mainly an infantry simulator; the vehicles and tanks are arcade level, as in Squad. I have not played any tanks in Post Scriptum yet.

Edited by Daan

One of the videos in the first post mentioned that vehicles will eventually get a overhaul with real armor/penetration mechanics instead of the hp system they're currently using. Is that official or just what someone is hoping for?

This looks good. No pink haired, blue faced, one armed British chicks with cricket bats in sight.

Oh gawd Battlefield 5 looks bad. ^_^

One of the videos in the first post mentioned that vehicles will eventually get a overhaul with real armor/penetration mechanics instead of the hp system they're currently using. Is that official or just what someone is hoping for?

they plan for it. AFAIK they even went to Saumur to measure ware plates and photgraph uniforms. The first set of maps is to revreate the area around Arnheim for operation Market Garden. I wonder if they add a Sean Connery model? Laurence Olivier? Hardy Krüger? ^_^

here are their plans goals for development:

WHAT IS POST SCRIPTUM?

Post Scriptum is a WW2 simulation game, focusing on historical accuracy, large scale battles, a difficult learning curve and an intense need for cohesion, communication and teamwork.

ALL OUT WAR

Experience a full-scale battlefield with 100-Player Servers, 50+ usable vehicles, Squad roles, Supply runs and Base Building. Post Scriptum is a unique experience, recreating a Historically Accurate, Immersive & Realistic gameplay.

Players will be given the option to fight with the British Airborne Division, British XXX Corps, US 101st / 82nd Airborne Division or several branches of the German Army, such as the Wehrmacht or the Waffen SS. It’s a rare opportunity to experience the intense battlefield that was the Battle of Arnhem, which stretched across farms, woods, villages and city areas. Each area is being accurately recreated from archival references that range from street level to aerial images. Whether you’re jumping out of a plane, resupplying friendlies or operating a tank you will find multiple reasons to drop back into the battlefield in this grand scaled representation of a WW2 setting never explored in a large multiplayer environment.

140 km² of Playable Area

Over 5 historically accurate maps based on archives, maps and aerial pictures.

Large-scale Battles

50 versus 50 players, on foot, operating tanks, field guns, artillery, armored recon and more.

50+ Usable Vehicles

From jeeps to heavy tanks, you will find a wide range of accurately remodeled vehicles.

40+ Authentic Weapons

40 Weapons from bolt action rifles to binoculars and canteens.

Detailed Tank Model

Vehicles using realistic values, such as turret speed, armor thickness, and internal damage.

Commander Mode

Call in Supports such as heavy artillery, strafing and bombing runs while commanding squads to secure objectives.

Base Building & Logistics

Create fortifications and barricades. Logistic and supply runs to help fortify and re-arm.

Choose Your Role

Heal your team mates as a medic or lay down suppressive fire with the MG.

Objective Focused

Coordinate with squads to capture and hold objectives in order to be victorious.

Dedicated Servers

Post Scriptum will support Official and Private dedicated server hosting.

Historical Accuracy

All levels, vehicles, uniforms and weapons recreated from original sources.

Modding Support

Create, Add, Modify content to Post Scriptum with our development kit made available to the community.

TACTICS FIRST

With a Commander, Sections and objectives, Post Scriptum is realism focused. Choose your role be it a Medic, Tank Crew or Machine-Gunner to help take vital objectives.

Post Scriptum offers a full fledged combined-arms experience in a authentic and realistic setting. With this comes the need to work together to take control points and various objectives. You can decide whether you will be in a Infantry, Armoured or Logistic Section, each with their own set of roles and responsibilities. Using in-game voice communications and waypoints, sections can work together to co-ordinate from where to place fortifications, to what sector to attack.

(...)

horse mouth: http://postscriptumgame.com/the-game/

is this thing loaded? :lol: (starting @0:9:35 mounting a Firefly)

also really bad germanic english

• 6 months later...

The WW2 multiplayer game Post Scriptum was released over six months and then was not received very well. The game was released unfinished and was not optimized. I played just for an hour or two and left it there.

In recent days I tried it again and it has been much improved upon! The game now runs smoothly and the new maps are very well designed. The map Veldmolen with its micro relief (little ditches, level differences between houses) is outstanding. The game is quite atmospheric, especially the night missions with raking machine gun fire over the fields, incoming artillery and air strikes. Given the WW2 setting the number of optics is very limited and most players will have bolt action rifles, which creates an interesting dynamic. Street fighting in Arnhem with a 98K is frustrating. :-)

So, give the game a reappraisal.

Edited by Daan

It really does have a silly name. We all predicted the eventual extinction of respectable wargame names.

I played it pretty seriously for a while until my system told me it didn't want to mess with it anymore. It's fun, but like any other type of sim, it takes forever for the fun to really start and you can get killed out of nowhere.

What makes it joyless is how many people play this game like a twitch game, which makes it very frustrating. I think the isolated nature of gaming plus years of COD-style FPS preclude people from playing like a team, ie, cover me/cover you, watching sectors, communicating. If we played pick up basketball like this, no one would pass, everyone would beehive on the ball and everyone would be shooting from long range.

I'll admit, I acted kinda toxic while TC'ing a Wehrmacht armored car. After clearing a small hill in the woods, I spotted a Firefly not more than 100m away, just filling up the scope.

Me: "Driver, tank spotted ahead, back up."

**HE GOES FORWARD.**

Me: "DRIVER THERE'S A DAMN TANK AHEAD, BACK IT UP!!!!"

Keeps going forward. Firefly spots easy kill and lights us up.

"DUDE WHAT PART OF 'TANK AHEAD' GAVE YOU A HARD TIME???"

He quits my squad. Go fig.

On another note, I love love love shooting in that game. You have to have a programmable mouse though with a button to insta drop your dpi rate. I also like that you can pick roles, but only if they are available. So you end up avoiding the sniper spam of the Battlefront games.

Great idea with the fatigue model too, no more HALO running/jumping all over the place.

Engineering/Logistics role is superb, but not well used players.

Have they made any improvements to the CO role as of 3-4 months ago? That role is dull. Reminds me of work where I sit and order stuff at desktop.

Edited by Stargrunt6

Squad and Post Scriptum are the only FPS games that I know of that routinely have a degree of team play in a non clan-based environment on public servers. However, I have to admit this all depends on the server and there being 'leaders' available willing to actually lead a section. Some servers have a reputation for team-based play styles, such as the RIP servers for Squad and PS in Europe. Unfortunately, you generally have to wait in line to get in those.

In my experience the last few days the overall commanding role is hardly ever taken by anyone. Presumably because it is indeed quite like work, a thankless task and most people do not want to be ordered around anyway. The logistics sections fill up quite rapidly and do a good job in most games. Hence, I have not seen much problems with resupply or persistently far away spawn points.

When the game was released, my older system also had problems running certain maps. However, currently with exactly the same system the games does run smoothly.

• 5 months later...

It's free this weekend on Steam and 60% discount to buy. I tried it and found it a lot harder than it's sister, Squad.

Yeah, that is also my experience. It is hard to put down why PS is so much harder than Squad. Initially I blamed the iron-sighted bolt action rifles in PS, which makes hitting something much harder. However, the opposing team generally has the same problem (except for the 82nd Airborne). Armored vehicles and tanks seem to play a more prominent role in PS and, with the relatively open terrain of some maps i.e. near Arnhem bridge, infantry can be quite vulnerable.

It's free this weekend on Steam and 60% discount to buy. I tried it and found it a lot harder than it's sister, Squad.

Yeah, that is also my experience. It is hard to put down why PS is so much harder than Squad. Initially I blamed the iron-sighted bolt action rifles in PS, which makes hitting something much harder. However, the opposing team generally has the same problem (except for the 82nd Airborne). Armored vehicles and tanks seem to play a more prominent role in PS and, with the relatively open terrain of some maps i.e. near Arnhem bridge, infantry can be quite vulnerable.

The trick with Arnhem bridge map is to not bother about the bridge and cross the pontoon bridges instead.

• 10 months later...