Ussocom Adopts 6.5Mm Creedmoor Cartridge

I think so.

The US Army is also looking at the 6.8mm caliber as a SAW/infantry rifle cartridge. It's way too early to speculate, but will the 6.5mm start a trend similar to the 5.56mm wave begun in the 1960's/1970's?

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Creedmoor

It appears that this round could supplant 7.62x54 for GPMG as well. The smaller cartridge should also provide weight savings.

Surely you meant to say 7.62x51 right? The US Military does not use 7.62x54 in any regularly issued weapons.
Good catch. Thanks! :)

It appears that this round could supplant 7.62x54 for GPMG as well. The smaller cartridge should also provide weight savings.

Surely you meant to say 7.62x51 right? The US Military does not use 7.62x54 in any regularly issued weapons.

Russian trolls, promoting their ammo :)

HEY! I'm an AMERICAN troll!!! :P

HEY! I'm an AMERICAN troll!!! :P

russian hackers! :ninja:

• 4 months later...

I've been ignoring the 6.5 Creedmoor simply because it seemed coated with too much hype. But of late I have been looking at ballistics & recoil data of rifle cartridges in the age-old "If you could have only 3 rifles" challenge. Nerdy, yes, but beats counting sheep.

And it turns out the Creedmoor looks like a dandy choice for one's primary deer/antelope rifle. 130 grain bullet at 2800 fps, roughly 12 ft-lb of recoil and 11 fps of recoil velocity in a 7.0 lb rifle. Nice flat trajectory and plenty of impact speed out to 400 yards and beyond, with a streamlined bullet.

6.5 Swede Short.

Which is a Good Thing. Only problem with the Sweede is the lack of x57 length actions in the US of A, especially for those of the southpaw ilk. The 260 and Creedmoor fit in American short actions.

My father likes 6mm BR for varminting wild hogs in East Texas, but his friend prefers 6.5 Creedmoor. Both reliably put down hogs (given decent shot placement). Sometimes they're shooting from close up, sometimes from 300-400 yards away.

If it's effective against 300lbs to 600lbs hogs at that distance, I'd expect it to do fine on 200lbs humans from much further away.

Edited by TTK Ciar

• 8 months later...

Here's an article talking about a prototype mk 48 mod 2 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28138/u-s-special-operators-will-soon-be-using-this-6-5mm-assault-machine-gun

The article talks about how weight savings is the main idea behind the switch.. but I don't see much weight savings here. Same bolt head, similar powder charge (~40ish grains), the creed they show uses a 140gr bullet. Whats the standard 7.62 round used in machine guns these days.. 150-175gr? At best we're only talking 35gr per round. That's a savings of 1lb for 200 rounds.

Performance wise, sure.. the 6.5 has a slight edge but is it enough to warrant adding another cartridge to the supply lines?

In addition to all this, as previously mentioned the 6.5s have shorter barrel life. Your burning the same amount of powder through a smaller hole. Maybe the chrome lining in the barrels will mitigate that somewhat but I still wouldnt be surprised if its half the barrel life.

I think going with something like a 6.5 grendel will get you better weight savings and improved performance over the 556 for a light weight machine gun.

Again, not enough improvement for the expense...until there's a significant cartridge or materials breakthrough, it's all about 'paint and trim'--and who gets the money.

6.5 Swede Short.

Which is a Good Thing. Only problem with the Sweede is the lack of x57 length actions in the US of A, especially for those of the southpaw ilk. The 260 and Creedmoor fit in American short actions.

Hence Simon adding the "short" adjective. Balistically 6.5 creedmoor is a 6,5*55 in a shorter case. Of course you have a longer possible overall case length in a normal sized Mauser action than for .308 Winchester.

Meanwhile also the new 6.8*51 mm takes up steam in NGSAR trials with five participants:

• W15QKN-18-9-1017 – AAI Corporation Textron Systems
  • W15QKN-18-9-1018 – FN America LLC. (Design 1)
  • W15QKN-18-9-1019 – FN America LLC. (Design 2)
  • W15QKN-18-9-1020 – General Dynamics-OTS Inc.
  • W15QKN-18-9-1021 – PCP Tactical, LLC
  • W15QKN-18-9-1022 – Sig Sauer Inc.

But that is a big US Army program, the Creedmoor is a SOCOM project.

Why was 6.5mm Creedmoor decided upon over .260 Remington? Seems like the latter cartridge has space for more powder.

Is 6.8x51mm the latest caliber for the cased-telescoped ammunition they've been toying with for some time now?

Why was 6.5mm Creedmoor decided upon over .260 Remington? Seems like the latter cartridge has space for more powder.

6.5 Creedmoors shoulder is pushed back a little and has a slightly longer neck.. allowing it to have a little shorter overall length which allows it to fit better in an ar10 mag with heavier bullets.... which would be moot in a belt fed config.

the 260, 6.5 creedmoor, and the 6.5*47 lapua are all nearly identical in performance. The 260 can be a tad faster and the 47 is a biy slower but honestly the difference is negligible. Where they differ the most is how Hornady is promoting the creedmoor, Remington completely ignored the 260 after releasing it, and Lapua designed theirs to be a 300m target round and never did anything further to promote it (except for making awesome small primer brass).

Edited by JamesR

Is 6.8x51mm the latest caliber for the cased-telescoped ammunition they've been toying with for some time now?

No, this time it is a normal cartridge with the bullet sticking out. From the photos it ölooks pretty much like a .308 Win case with a 6.8 bullet. But hard to say without measuring it.

The telescoped one is another cartridge also in development. At the moment the US Army really is looking into all directions.