Nerve Agent Attack In Britain.

Stuart Galbraith

Here is the BBC's take on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43377856

A former Russian spy and his daughter were poisoned by a military-grade nerve agent of a type developed by Russia, Theresa May has told MPs.

The prime minister said the government had concluded it was "highly likely" that Russia was responsible for the attack on Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury on 4 March.

She said Russia's ambassador in London had been summoned to explain whether it was "a direct action by the Russian state" or the result of it "losing control" of its stock of nerve agents.

The chemical used in the attack, the PM said, has been identified as being part of a group of nerve agents known as "Novichok".

Mrs May said Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson had told the ambassador Moscow must "immediately provide full and complete disclosure" of the Novichok programme to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

She said the UK would consider his response before deciding what action to take, but added: "Should there be no credible response, we will conclude that this action amounts to an unlawful use of force by the Russian state against the United Kingdom."

Sixty-six-year-old retired military intelligence officer Sergei Skripal and his daughter, 33, were found slumped on a bench in Salisbury city centre. They remain in a critical but stable condition.

Det Sgt Nick Bailey, who fell ill attending the pair, remains seriously ill in hospital but has been talking to his family.

Addressing the Commons following a meeting of the Government's National Security Council, Mrs May told MPs the positive identification of this chemical agent was made by experts at the UK's Porton Down laboratory.

She said Russia has previously produced the agent and would still be capable of doing so.

The decision to point the finger at Moscow was based on "Russia's record of conducting state-sponsored assassinations and our assessment that Russia views some defectors as legitimate targets for assassinations", the PM added.

Police activity continued on Monday afternoon, with officers - some wearing hazardous materials suits- removing a white van from the village of Winterslow, about six miles from Salisbury.

A Sainsbury's car park in Salisbury was also sealed off by police.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty factions that could have access to small amounts of such agents and use them to harm Russia, Ukranians for example,

One might well ask, if the Ukrainians had nerve gas, why didnt they use it when their country was invaded by Russia? Or indeed, if they wanted to get support from NATO, why they waited 4 years before using it on elements in the UK to gain support, rather that at the point, in 2014, when it might have done them some good?

Nice try through.

Well the Russians are known to actively kill people in other countries, in particular Britain, so the much simpler solution is that they just did it again, rather than blaming the grand Ukrainian conspiracy.

Will the UK invoke article five? Because if they are right then it was an act of war from Russia's part, and it was an attack on a NATO member.

Reminds of this really.

We will be engaging with our allies is as far as we have got at the moment. Which is fair enough, it would be nice to give the Russians a chance of rebuttal before we declare WW3 I guess. :)

How does it shake down? We impose further sanctions, possibly highly draconian ones. They retaliate, and we go down a path that ends up with us closing our Embassy in Moscow and booting theirs out.

Yes. I think it could end up being THAT serious. It really depends on how hardball Putin wants to play I guess.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

One might well ask, if the Ukrainians had nerve gas, why didnt they use it when their country was invaded by Russia?

First, unfortunately our Gov is too weak and pro-Western to properly "invade Ukraine" - preferring trading with Kiev regime

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russia-becomes-ukraines-biggest-trading-partner-2017-60573

Russia Becomes Ukraine's Biggest Trading Partner in 2017

Second, oligarchs ruling now in Kiev know well attempt like that will be their last action before leaving for exile in Canada or UK (if they manage to get out alive), so it is not in their business interests.

Or indeed, if they wanted to get support from NATO, why they waited 4 years before using it on elements in the UK to gain support, rather that at the point, in 2014, when it might have done them some good?

Was what they did with MH17 not enough?

But i do not think it was pro-Ukrainians - they are too busy with their internal fighting - see for example "plot to kill Poroshenko" uncovered (by US-controlled SBU), turned up to be linked to pro-Ukr special forces 8th regiment (trained ny US instructors).

One might well ask, if the Ukrainians had nerve gas, why didnt they use it when their country was invaded by Russia?

First, unfortunately our Gov is too weak and pro-Western to properly "invade Ukraine" - preferring trading with Kiev regime

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russia-becomes-ukraines-biggest-trading-partner-2017-60573

Second, oligarchs ruling now in Kiev know well attempt like that will be their last action before leaving for exile in Canada or UK (if they manage to get out alive), so it is not in their business interests.

Or indeed, if they wanted to get support from NATO, why they waited 4 years before using it on elements in the UK to gain support, rather that at the point, in 2014, when it might have done them some good?

But i do not think it was pro-Ukrainians - they are too busy with their internal fighting - see for example "plot to kill Poroshenko" uncovered (by US-controlled SBU), turned up to be linked to pro-Ukr special forces 8th regiment (trained ny US instructors).

Roman, you are a nice guy. I dont hold you or your fellow Russians personally responsible for this. You are all a fine bunch. Its not remotely your fault your President is a murderous poison dwarf.

As for the rest, I think we will beg to differ.

Well the Russians are known to actively kill people in other countries, in particular Britain, so the much simpler solution is that they just did it again, rather than blaming the grand Ukrainian conspiracy.

Western special services are known to actively killing, abducting, torturing people around the globe. Now this brilliant professionals who bombed weddings in ME came to practice in UK - and we see man believed to be main target alive, while lots of people around harmed.

Roman, you are a nice guy. I dont hold you or your fellow Russians personally responsible for this. You are all a fine bunch. Its not remotely your fault your President is a murderous poison dwarf.

As for the rest, I think we will beg to differ.

Shouldn't that be poisoning dwarf.

What did good ol' "Useful idiot at best, spy at worst" Jeremy say?

Oh nvm, found it.

It takes a truly unique political talent to get the national mood entirely wrong.

I mean yes, there are issues of British politcians taking funding from Russians and the opacity of where the funds come from. That in any other circumstances might be a reasonable point. At a debate about the security of the nation, its completely the wrong point. We may or may not like the Government, but its their role in ensuring the security of the people, and they need the unqualified support of the opposition to do it.

Interesting his shadow chancellor the other day said that Labour MP's should no longer go on RT. Corbyn disagreed with that over Twitter as well. Twat.

It seems all lab tests are done, full investigation was finished and all conclusions made. What, that didn't happen? Oh right, there is no need to. We all already know who to blame. investigation is just a formality that can be neglected.
Truly post-truth world. And history, even most recent one, still don't teach many fellows.

It seems all lab tests are done, full investigation was finished and all conclusions made. What, that didn't happen? Oh right, there is no need to. We all already know who to blame. investigation is just a formality that can be neglected.

Truly post-truth world. And history, even most recent one, still don't teach many fellows.

Good thing nobody asked for Pearl Harbor investigation to be concluded before declaring war on Jpaan, right? :) I mean, yes, on the face of it it was clean cut case, but did anyone make sure in the first hours that the planes were not VISMODded Swordfishes manned by Japanese British pilots? ;)

I mean, the ionvestigation will never be conclusive enough for some, it is enough to look at Syrian gas attacks or on the Polish Tupolev crash (in the opposite direction). Or even at the death of one of Czechoslovakia's founders in an air crash where Slovakian nationalists are still trying to float the "assassination" theory. However... The target and the method kinda fits a certain pattern. I know snap judgments can be tricky and that gentleman in ski mask breaking through a house window might just be a guest at a fancy dress party who took a wrong turn, but...

We may or may not like the Government, but its their role in ensuring the security of the people, and they need the unqualified support of the opposition to do it.

Security against threat the very existence of is known from the same Gov claim? Of course it is your Gov and you trusting or not trusting them is up to you; but for me cynical Rus it looks like another marketing trick (especially taking into account how convenient is target and timing)

Most likley done by a fat twat in his mom's basement.

Good thing nobody asked for Pearl Harbor investigation to be concluded before declaring war on Jpaan, right? :) I mean, yes, on the face of it it was clean cut case, but did anyone make sure in the first hours that the planes were not VISMODded Swordfishes manned by Japanese British pilots? ;)

I mean, the ionvestigation will never be conclusive enough for some, it is enough to look at Syrian gas attacks or on the Polish Tupolev crash (in the opposite direction). Or even at the death of one of Czechoslovakia's founders in an air crash where Slovakian nationalists are still trying to float the "assassination" theory. However... The target and the method kinda fits a certain pattern. I know snap judgments can be tricky and that gentleman in ski mask breaking through a house window might just be a guest at a fancy dress party who took a wrong turn, but...

In fairness, you can pick Novichok up easily on Ebay these days. Ive even bought Tabun and VX on Amazon. Ideal for dealing with mice.

(For all those of Echelon that was what passes for a joke, so you dont need to send the Tiptoe boys round, thanks very much).

The central problem is this. We had an investigation of Litvinenko. We found the poison, we found the murderers, we found even a teapot with an atomic signature comparable to Fatman, and it STILL was not believed. So I dont really see this changes anything. We could have left it 10 years like we did with Litvinenko and they would still pull out the 'well maybe Mi6 did it'.

Means, motive, opportunity. Try as I might, I cannot think of anyone that has all 3 in abundance than the FSB, and quite probably, the Russian President.

This is the problem. Guy who wasn't in russian field of interest for 12(!) years, who wasn't in Russia for 8 yeas, was poisoned not by one of thousands handy and traceless methods, but by one retarded and pointing at one direction. He hasn't misteriously diseased in prison. He hasn't died from "hearth attack" in first couple of years after release, when there still might be things to be known from him. No. He was poisoned almost decade after it had any sence. And he was poisoned by exclusively "ivel russian poison". It fits indeed. Fits too well.
As for things being clear - it was clear for coalition that Iraq is making WMDs. How it ended? It was clear from blue screens that russian tanks are firing at georgian civilians. How it ended?

In fairness, you can pick Novichok up easily on Ebay these days. Ive even bought Tabun and VX on Amazon. Ideal for dealing with mice.

First of all, all this "Novichok" is your Gov claim, not fact; second, even if you check "Novichok" in Wiki - it is not some substance but " series of nerve agents" so everything may be it.

Yet more terrain in Salisbury fenced off. Now its Sainsbury's car park, which points to a fairly significant contamination problem, if people have been tracking this shit in through the supermarket.

https://www.spirefm.co.uk/news/local-news/2526147/another-city-centre-location-cordoned-off/

A small village outside Salisbury had a house cordoned off and a car recovered. Speculation on my part, but possibly belonging the Bobby that was poisoned.

https://www.spirefm.co.uk/news/local-news/2526001/emergency-services-in-hazmat-suits-in-winterslow/

I guess to bear in mind, the crime scene here is potentially huge. It might be appropriate to compare it to the Lockerbie inquiry by the time its concluded.

First of all, all this "Novichok" is your Gov claim, not fact; second, even if you check "Novichok" in Wiki - it is not some substance but " series of nerve agents" so everything may be it.

You are comparing how your government works with ours. For the PM to stand up in the Palace of Westminster and knowingly tell a porky pie would be the end of her political career. If she did, it would eventually get out, it always does. If she said PD said it came from Russian labs her first question would be "are you sure". So we can accept that as "fact" not a claim or a possibility but "fact".