Internet Explorer

Note Pad

Office XML Handler

Paint

Windows Media Player

Word 2016

Word Pad

Look for another app on this PC

When I click IE the screen will flash then the down load folder simply adds another ChromeSetup_exe to the list. I now have four of them in the folder. What am I missing?

Ok, what appears to be going on is .exe files are not opening right. I'm going to link to you two pages. One is for tenforums which is where a file will be linked for your verification, and the next will be the link for the actual file to save you some work.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-restore-default-file-type-associations-windows-10-a.htmlscroll down, you are looking for exe in that list and you can download it from the page

OR,

Click on this one and download the file directly.

https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/52455d1449507854-default-file-type-associations-restore-windows-10-a-exe.reg

Once you download it, double click on the file and it will ask you if you want to run it. Click run.

Then you will get a prompt about "Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values...." going ahead and click yes. Once that's done you need to restart your computer.. That should resolve your issue.

Edited by nabqrules

Ok, what appears to be going on is .exe files are not opening right. I'm going to link to you two pages. One is for tenforums which is where a file will be linked for your verification, and the next will be the link for the actual file to save you some work.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-restore-default-file-type-associations-windows-10-a.htmlscroll down, you are looking for exe in that list and you can download it from the page

OR,

Click on this one and download the file directly.

https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/52455d1449507854-default-file-type-associations-restore-windows-10-a-exe.reg

Once you download it, double click on the file and it will ask you if you want to run it. Click run.

Then you will get a prompt about "Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values...." going ahead and click yes. Once that's done you need to restart your computer.. That should resolve your issue.

Downloading that file did the same thing as downloading the Chrome and Firefox. It popped up that list then added a repeat downloaded file.

I'll try to help you get unstuck, Middle of work (which this is exactly what I do is get people's PC's unstuck) . If you're comfortable following Microsoft's instructions on the following you can try it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/950505/when-you-run-an--exe-file-on-a-windows-xp--windows-vista-or-windows-7

jwb do you know how to reset internet explorer? if not i'll give you directions.

Yes, settings>internet options>advanced>reset. Now when I try to load Firefox Notepad opens.

ok, go

jwb do you know how to reset internet explorer? if not i'll give you directions.

Yes, settings>internet options>advanced>reset. Now when I try to load Firefox Notepad opens.

try start-settings, the crappy win10 settings, not control panel, go to apps, and default apps, and you should have an option to 'reset to the microsoft recommended defaults'

that will reset all the program defaults.

Did all that and no change. Time to take the machine to the geek squad?

Yeah at this point you'll need a face in front of it to get it resolved. Don't like the geek squad but that's just because the local one is horrid and they screw up stuff which helps business where I work. If there's a local shop that has a good reputation I would recommend that first.

Edited by nabqrules

Did all that and no change. Time to take the machine to the geek squad?

Yeah at this point you'll need a face in front of it to get it resolved. Don't like the geek squad but that's just because the local one is horrid and they screw up stuff which helps business where I work. If there's a local shop that has a good reputation I would recommend that first.

+1

A local shop or a competent friend will get you out of this much faster and better than geek squad, if those are options.

I got the machine a few days ago and it is still under warranty. I don't want to take it over to the near by O.D. because I won't have access to it but I don't really have a choice now.

your '.' is an '_'

Yep. That underscore rendered the command invalid. Replacing it with a "dot" create a valid command. I suspect Microsoft coded Win10 to do that as a deterrent against competing browsers.