Did Soviets Ever Issue T72 Or T64 To Marines During Cold War ?

Gman

I seem to recall a discussion about T72's being issued to Soviet Marines during Cold War but was in discussions recently that indicate the landing craft weren't capable of carrying such a tank.

Anyone know for sure ?

I'm of the same opinion. According to what I've heard the T-55D with the "Drozd" APS was intended to give the Naval Infantry a tank of an acceptable weight with the same protection from ATGMs and light anti-tank weapons as the T-64 and T-72, if not more.

Anyone know for sure?

IIRC some were transferred towards the end of the Cold War, when CFE treaties were applied.

The transfer was of whole divisions as coastal defence forces to get around limits of CFE. Same happened to the Ministry of Internal affairs or whatever it was callled then.

I saw in 2016 a reference [Novosti] that the MOD Russia had announced a rearming of the naval infantry, to include T-90 tanks, BMP-3, BTR-82, and so on down to small arms. Cannot find it yet.

I've certainly read that they are looking to replace their BTR-80's with the BTR-82AM. Would the Sprut not suit the requirements of the Naval Infantry units? Lighter than an MBT so easier to transport, plus being amphibious may be of some benefit to their operations?

I saw in 2016 a reference [Novosti] that the MOD Russia had announced a rearming of the naval infantry, to include T-90 tanks, BMP-3, BTR-82, and so on down to small arms. Cannot find it yet.

I've certainly read that they are looking to replace their BTR-80's with the BTR-82AM. Would the Sprut not suit the requirements of the Naval Infantry units? Lighter than an MBT so easier to transport, plus being amphibious may be of some benefit to their operations?

I think they already have, or at least my impression was 336 Brigade in Kaliningrad had them. They dont seem to have any tanks yet though, let alone BMPs.

At 5:57 and 6:06 you can see T-72s (it seems like T-72A) being unloaded from landing craft. The footage is from exercise Zapad 81.

Anyone know for sure?

IIRC some were transferred towards the end of the Cold War, when CFE treaties were applied.

At least three Motor Rifle Divisions (77th Guards, 3rd Guards and 126th Guards) were assigned to the Soviet Naval Infantry in 1989-1990 period due to CFE treaty, and those forces should have included 265 T-80 Tanks, 271 T-72B tanks and 271 T-64A/B tanks.

Edited by Nikolas93TS

At 5:57 and 6:06 you can see T-72s (it seems like T-72A) being unloaded from landing craft. The footage is from exercise Zapad 81.

Looks like turret-less BRDM-2's being unloaded at 2:11. Are these the anti-tank missile versions with the launcher retracted into the roof of the vehicle or something else?

The landing craft used to carry the tanks looks similar to the ones that the Egyptians used during the canal crossing in 1973 from the footage I've seen. GSP amphibious vehicle used as a floating pontoon/ferry.

Very impressive footage indeed.

• 4 years later...