tanknet.org

Water Dragons Of The Middle Kingdom

OK translation:

It is a 电磁炮 (electro-magnetic cannon), or 轨道炮 (rail gun).

This excerpt from http://news.ifeng.co...5670035_0.shtml

在人类的武器发展史中,总有一些装备因为能改变战争形态而具有划时代的意义,电磁炮就是这样一种武器。电磁炮,也叫轨道炮,是利用电磁发射技术制成的一种先进的动能杀伤武器。电磁炮是利用电磁系统中电磁场的作用力发射弹丸,其作用力不仅比传统火药作用力大,作用的时间也长得多。相比传统127mm舰炮30km的射程,电磁炮的射程可达300km,根据美国海军的计算和估测,1门电磁炮的火力支援能力能同F/A-18舰载机联队相媲美。

Game changing weapon. Uses electromagnetism to fire projectile. Not only more powerful than conventional powder charge guns, but also longer (I suppose) burning time. For e.g. conventional 127mm gun has 30km range, electromagnetic gun can reach 300km. According to USN data, 1 electromagnetic gun is equivalent to the firepower of 1 wing/squadron of carrier-based F18.

ETA: The above is not official PLAN statement. Could be real or could be fake.

Other articles claim that though China is late into the game researching electromagnetic cannons compared to US, if what is mounted on this ship is a working specimen, then China is now the leader in such weaponry.

Other articles say such weapon has very low recoil impulse - which may explain why mounting it so far forward in this experimental case will not pose a problem.

Edited by chino
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Josh It is admittedly a big gun. Having never seen a rail gun installation, I can't say that doesn't look like one. However my bet is some kind of large caliber rapid fire conventional gun.

Is that thing on the ship or on the dock? Because if its on the ship, I'd bet it’s too far to the bow to be a heavy gun turret.

Looks like they are using an older LST as a test rig, makes sense, lots of room to adapt things.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess they took the opportunity to improve the design, taking out Soviet features (SSMs, command installations) and improving the stealthiness of the design.

I guess they took the opportunity to improve the design, taking out Soviet features (SSMs, command installations) and improving the stealthiness of the design.

The P-700 launchers and UDAV-1 ASWR were stripped from Liaoning too.

The P-700 launchers and UDAV-1 ASWR were stripped from Liaoning too.

Yes, but the structure needed to support them would have been harder to strip out. It's better to start with a clean design.